911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
two friends got them.
both blew tranny driving on street and NEVER used the launch thing
every car has issues.
porsche is by far the best and most durable if you really drive them.
Anybody we know? : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErkO2sQqMA
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i don't own one, but got to drive one back to back with my RS on the Nurburgring. corner entry apex and exit along with appropriate speed balance and timing that i worked so hard on in the RS is completely optional in the GTR. my first go at it, i was already at same corner entry and exit speed. turned it up a notch, got sloppy and GTR just does it. threw the keys back and happily went back to the RS. if they ever release Gran Turismo 5, i'll be able to drive GT-R any time again. Its about as engaging of an experience.

the owner did complain about how quickly the brakes wore down when tracking. it did however handle severe beating as well as the porsche did. I was surprised by this actually.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

Forget it, I had GTR and GT3 at the same time.
GTR too big too heavy, too many problems when tracked.

Nice street car though, but then again not as nice as my '05 TT Mercedes...
If you consider GTR, spend extra $$ or wait a few years and get 997TT with torque vectoring and awd.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Gtr is as ugly as my 6gt3- guess which car I would keep? Mike
Blasphemy
6GT3 is a fine looking car and WILL become a classic
Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Dog, if you've got an itch, scratch it. If it was me, I would do it with a nice Z06, or even better, a ZR1. Now that would be different and you would have lots of fun, I'm sure. Then you could come back to Porsche with an extra notch in your belt.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Forget it, I had GTR and GT3 at the same time.
GTR too big too heavy, too many problems when tracked.

Nice street car though, but then again not as nice as my '05 TT Mercedes...
If you consider GTR, spend extra $$ or wait a few years and get 997TT with torque vectoring and awd.
Did you say big
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2010, 11:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,770 Likes on 2,365 Posts

^ i didn't know it's that big. i think i get myself one and use it to tow my trailer.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T DO IT!

I waited 7 years for a GTR (from first concept) and got one Jan 09. I had it til I took delivery of 11 GT3RS (that I have waited forty years for )

Any how, 5k service intervals, warranty that does not mean much and worries of tranny failure and if you read GTROC SERIOUS issues with blown engines all took away enjoyment.

It is incredible technical achievement, but you can't switch controls off and for that it spoils things.

Personally I like the look (though not the new 11 year updates).

If you want pure driving experience, sound and ability to be in total control then get your car fixed and/or take it to another dealer.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Sure am. I've had it. My car has been on the lift with the engine out for around 6 weeks now. With no end in sight. Weisach refuses to tell dealer when the part will be available and when they will ship it. This is my 4th Porsche, and probably my last. I'm over it...
Dog sorry you are having so much trouble - have you tried to have another dealer source this part? Sounds like your dealer is not on the happy list...
Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

Yes B.I.G.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2010, 03:37 PM
s4awd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here was my review comparing my GTR to my GT3 a while back I posted on Teampeed:

The pricing was finally right so I picked up my 2010 GT3 from Schneider Nelson in Jersey. Ed is the man by the way. White with sport buckets, dynamic engine mounts and nav, sound chrno. Given I just sold my GTR I'd give my brief review with pros and cons of all my toys.

Yes the GTR is faster. I don't care what anyone says. I immediately found out when I took my first drive off the lot in the GT3. I stalled. hehe. That clutch is heavy . All kidding aside, in the GT3 I had the sense that I was in a go kart. Not just in handling but aware that the engine was in the back, rear wheel drive and no weight in the front. For those who go kart, it's that immediate sense that you want to go fast to catch the guy in front but know that you'll spin out if you mash the gas in a turn. So every action I take is premeditated. Especially downshifting, entering a turn, etc. It's basicly what makes the GT3 so much fun.

In the GTR I could be drinking a latte while on the phone (hands free of course) and be able to just do the triple click from 6th to 3rd and just floor it. I'll feel like Neo where every other car is at a standstill and I just zig zag my way through. Which is fun in it's own way but can get you into trouble.

Given the GTR's setup, I know that I simply cannot shift faster than it so stop light drags are pointless. Around a racetrack or twisty road, the GTR just feels very safe. No white knuckle driving, it just turns and goes. The only fear is not running wide but running into the guy in front of you.

That's where the GTR's benefits end. The car is HUGE and the ride is harsh with a bite that it made me feel bad for my passengers. The GT3 is sublime. It feels alive. That sport button is insane. It's a true sports car in the sense that it's the best street legal GT race car you can buy.

Is the GT3 a daily driver? With the regular seats, maybe. The buckets, no. Getting in and out can be a pain when you slam your thigh into sidewall of the rigid bucket seat. The ride is perfect for a sports car though. Stiff but not harsh and definately no bite. The softer regular seats will add enough cushion to be able to drive in NYC.

The car is SUPER low so yeah, I wish I had the lift. Dealership experience was outstanding. I left feeling like the time I purchased my first Rolex. It was a nice feeling

Ok here are my preferences. If not listed, They stay home.

Tight Twisty two lane Road:

Evo. No other.

Twisty road:
1st: GT3
2nd: Evo
3rd: GTR

Wide open road:

Tie GTR GT3

Race track for laptimes and bullying:

GTR

Race track for fun:

1st: GT3,
2nd:M3

Going out to the city with friends:

M3 Chicks just love this car.

Snow/Rain/Ski trips:

Evo, Evo Evo!

Steering handling shifting

1st: GT3
2nd: Evo. A very close second
Tie: GTR's steering and handling better but I can shift the M3.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

... and this is why Rennlist is great.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,770 Likes on 2,365 Posts

chic likes m3?
ok....
i guess i have to eat my words and buy some bmw's.... did i say i hate bmw's?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Road America as I pass under the start/ finish bridge I am doing 130 mph with a passenger. In my friends GTR I was doing exactly the same speed at that location. It is easy to go from a 996 GT3 to a GTR, But if you tried to go from a GTR to a GT3 all the drivers mistakes would cause a crashfest.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

I have never driven a GT-R ... I can believe how big they are compared to a GT3, I am sure that the speed is intoxicating, I suspect that all the electronics get in the way of being component of the car that makes it go faster ...

dont take a bath on your 3 to get one of these ... stick with the GT3 and RL ... if you go to the dark side all you will learn is how to constantly vary the shield frequencies to stop the Borg from assimilating you or how to charge the main deflectors with an inverse tachyon pulse as you drive your wonder car ...

btw what are your lemon laws? - perhaps you can lemon your current car and pickup a new one at no extra cost?

"pickard out"

Quick Reply: anyone have a gt3 and a gtr?