Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HOW TO FIND CENTER CAP WRENCH ON 2010 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
poch
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO FIND CENTER CAP WRENCH ON 2010 GT3

Can someone please post pictures of how to find the center cap wrench on a 2010 GT3? Thank you
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

I think some said they were using a paint can opener (almost looks like a bottle opener)
Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Now you guys tell me. I have jacked mine up so bad!!!!!!

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

a small flathead screwdriver cover with soft towel works too.
and if you do use paint lid opener, still use towel too.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What?

I think the question is to the location of the socket tool for the centerlock nut, not instructions for removing the dust cap.

If it's the former, then the socket is in the front trunk behind a carpeted lid on the left side (facing the car) and the flat tire kit and sealant bottle) is on the right.) These are accessible without lifting the false bottom (where the other tools reside.)

If the question is removing the dust caps, I've been taught the following:
  • Find a thick but narrow screw driver that fits the gap.
  • Put strong tape over the head of the screwdriver.
  • Put a credit card (or ideally a thin hard plastic film like a microfiche card ... from the old Porsche parts days ...) between the screwdriver blade and the nut.
  • Apply pressure to slowly lever the dust cap up a little. Wait. Let the rubber o-ring release itself and let the suction escape.
  • Lift and lever the cap (don't relocate the screwdriver or release pressure from the dust cap) and focus on lifting the cap. Wait for pressure and the o-ring to move.
    The cap will bend under the force of the grip of the o-ring, so the job is to be patient and let the o-ring slide.

I've executed this procedure successfully a dozen or more times on all four corners of the car. Two dust caps remain in perfect shape. Two are blemished by slips and one has a slight bend (mostly from that one being the early "practice" sacrificial lamb.)

I think the paint tin remover is a good idea, but it doesn't advance the cause much (it still needs to be covered with tape and the real trick is to have a credit card for leverage and to protect the nut.

If you have black nuts (no giggling in the back row) then a "magic marker" (black felt tipped texter) is sufficient to mask the absence from the nut of any anodizing caused during the operation.

It's a horrible design. It's just ridiculous that the removal of the dust cap has become the most expensive and arduous task in removing a wheel. Porsche should be ashamed. And to ask for $50 each for replacement dust caps! As a matter of principle, I expect to see Porsche replace these little blighters for free as often as need be.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The aftermarket guys should just step up and make aftermarket plastic ones without the metal skin that bends....

As for getting them off, as per Carreras procedure except that I use 2 tiny electronic type flat screw drivers with tape. One to pry it up and the second at a second point to break vacuum. Just need to make sure you've pushed them all the way in before you pry up to ensure they don't get just the thin metal skin only. Kinked my first with a paint can opener (they are too thick here) but never kinked any with the tiny screwdrivers....
Old 09-24-2010, 04:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
The aftermarket guys should just step up and make aftermarket plastic ones without the metal skin that bends....

As for getting them off, as per Carreras procedure except that I use 2 tiny electronic type flat screw drivers with tape. One to pry it up and the second at a second point to break vacuum. Just need to make sure you've pushed them all the way in before you pry up to ensure they don't get just the thin metal skin only. Kinked my first with a paint can opener (they are too thick here) but never kinked any with the tiny screwdrivers....
I think "Poch" has put two shovels against the wall as asked us to take our pick ... : )

Anyway, the idea of a second screwdriver to break the vacuum sounds like an improvement. I can't believe it that this is such a painful job, it demands this level of nonsense!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Very true Carrera, very true...

These are the sort of bad boys I use.... The flat ones that is, small enough to do the job and get all the way back to the backing plate...

Last edited by 911rox; 07-15-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Paint can opener. Porsche PN #997-EZGT3. Availible at Lowes.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they're really difficult to remove, Porsche should make a strong suction cup that fits it for scratch free removal!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What helped on mine is to put a bit of vaseline on the rubber seal. Removal is A LOT easier now, and I did quite some tracking since applying the vaseline and they don't pop of spontaneously during a trackday.

Now using a little bit of force they pop off. Before I had to pull really hard and they really made a POP sound and flew all over the place
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM
FLM911
Racer

Small flat head screwdriver with duct tape on the end. Works well.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
What helped on mine is to put a bit of vaseline on the rubber seal. Removal is A LOT easier now, and I did quite some tracking since applying the vaseline and they don't pop of spontaneously during a trackday.

Now using a little bit of force they pop off. Before I had to pull really hard and they really made a POP sound and flew all over the place
This is a great idea will try next time.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:57 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just one thing. First drive after applying it you ll have some of that stuff over your wheel, as the excess vaseline melts. But that is only the first time. After cleaning the car it doesn't come back. I had my center caps removed quite a few times, no need to reapply the vaseline. One time is sufficient.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Just one thing. First drive after applying it you ll have some of that stuff over your wheel, as the excess vaseline melts. But that is only the first time. After cleaning the car it doesn't come back. I had my center caps removed quite a few times, no need to reapply the vaseline. One time is sufficient.
You might try silicon grease.

Quick Reply: HOW TO FIND CENTER CAP WRENCH ON 2010 GT3