Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 03:09 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
I have a really stupid question: Is there a way of knowing if your lines are pinned by simply looking into the engine bay?
I bought my .2RS from John Wright at PNH 2 years ago with 1900 miles on it. I now have 3930 miles on it and I am somewhat worried about the hose coupling failure problem. I do not track the car, just use it for recreational driving on regular roads.
Thanks,

Raghu
Yes, look at the left side of your engine bay and look at this pipe next to the alternator. This is on my 997.1 GT3. I can try and find a pic of welded lines too.

The following users liked this post:
EMpunker (11-04-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 03:13 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I have a really stupid question: Is there a way of knowing if your lines are pinned by simply looking into the engine bay?
I bought my .2RS from John Wright at PNH 2 years ago with 1900 miles on it. I now have 3930 miles on it and I am somewhat worried about the hose coupling failure problem. I do not track the car, just use it for recreational driving on regular roads.
Thanks,

Raghu
This picture is from this ad. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-gt3-rs-8/

This link has some good info too. https://www.sharkwerks.com/tech-arti...gt2-turbo-cars

EMpunker (11-04-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 04:23 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

This is what mine looks like. I guess the line is not pinned.

Last edited by Raghu; 10-31-2021 at 04:34 PM.
EMpunker (11-04-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 11:40 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 79 Posts

This is what mine looks like. I guess the line is not pinned.
Not pinned.
Raghu (11-01-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 09:10 AM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

I've read through, and it seems that this is a 997 Mezger all model issue? Confirming that the issue is no different for the GT2, GT3 or TT, and that 2009 is the same as 2008? I'm getting some shop resistance to doing the work in Switzerland as they feel it's not needed. I will be at the Ring and other tracks in France.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:02 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheKane
I've read through, and it seems that this is a 997 Mezger all model issue? Confirming that the issue is no different for the GT2, GT3 or TT, and that 2009 is the same as 2008? I'm getting some shop resistance to doing the work in Switzerland as they feel it's not needed. I will be at the Ring and other tracks in France.
Yes, all water cooled Mezgers are affected. Some say that the glue is better on later models but no one can confirm that. But they all can have the failure (GT2/3 Turbo) and if you’re going to be on track, you 100% need to get it done. Both for your safety and others on track.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Andrew D. (11-12-2021), jonwb (11-15-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 12:17 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 377 Posts

You sure it was not already done on your car? Something sticks in my brain that it might have been when I was looking at it. I could be wrong.

Agree with Bxstr. I'm one of the many who's had the pleasure of running through GT3 coolant slicks. Just not worth the risk to my life and the lives of others.

FWIW, friend who recently purchased a .1 RS is getting the same pushback from his shop in France. They said it's crazy/overboard.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:02 AM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

@ChrisF Hope you're doing well Chris. I've reached out to the previous owner in Marin to check, but I don't think so. If not, I'll definitely get it done....but it may have to happen in Germany at my friend's shop by the Ring. Swiss shops are resisting.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:04 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

Dear All,

Happy Thanksgiving to all and families!
I performed a routine check of the engine bay today and found engine coolant levels to be low for the second time in 30 days. My diagnosis was the cap was not secured very well by yours truly (how stupid) because I realized I could have gone around at least one and half time more to secure it. I have not found direct (liquid dripping along lines) or indirect (liquid on the floor) evidence of any leak. I topped off the coolant for the second time today. Starting to worry a little bit but not too much. I have to admit that I have been driving with the sport mode lately because the engine sounds so much better and the performance is very satisfying. However, I have only driven 35 miles between the two-coolant top-offs.
I secured the lid tightly this time and I will check coolant levels daily to make sure they are not going down again.
There was no warning light or warning on the dash stating that the coolant level was low. Is that common?

Incidentally, I had to top off the coolant in the 718 Spyder also last week and this was 6 weeks after a service oil change at an authorized Porsche dealer in Dallas. Hence also wondering if these phenomena are linked to the cold weather or some such thing.

Does anybody think I should be concerned about the coolant situation in the 7.2RS at this point? If so, should I be flat-bedding the RS to the Dallas dealership? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Raghu

Today, before topping off.

Today, after topping off.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:19 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Dear All,

I performed a routine check of the engine bay today and found engine coolant levels to be low for the second time in 30 days. My diagnosis was the cap was not secured very well by yours truly (how stupid) because I realized I could have gone around at least one and half time more to secure it. I have not found direct (liquid dripping along lines) or indirect (liquid on the floor) evidence of any leak. I topped off the coolant for the second time today. Starting to worry a little bit but not too much. I have to admit that I have been driving with the sport mode lately because the engine sounds so much better and the performance is very satisfying. However, I have only driven 35 miles between the two-coolant top-offs.
I secured the lid tightly this time and I will check coolant levels daily to make sure they are not going down again.
There was no warning light or warning on the dash stating that the coolant level was low. Is that common?

Incidentally, I had to top off the coolant in the 718 Spyder also last week and this was 6 weeks after a service oil change at an authorized Porsche dealer in Dallas. Hence also wondering if these phenomena are linked to the cold weather or some such thing.

Does anybody think I should be concerned about the coolant situation in the 7.2RS at this point? If so, should I be flat-bedding the RS to the Dallas dealership? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Raghu

Been there.
Just get a new cap altogether.
Fixed.
Raghu (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 06:42 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Dear All,

Thanks,
Raghu

Agree with post above. At a minimum get a new cap. The number has been updated to: 99610644704

I also replaced my entire tank last year preventatively with the .04 tank.

The reason the light did not come on is because the sensor is at the very bottom of the tank. You'd need to be out of coolant in the tank for it to trigger.
Raghu (11-24-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 11:45 AM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Further digging for information in Europe, prior to pinning on a GT2. I had a lengthy in-person conversation with two master Porsche mechanics here in Switzerland. Both garages and their owners are well known and regarded. Their reluctance stems from their experience that this is primarily a GT3 (or non-turbo) issue. Why? They say the coolant system pressure is much lower in the GT2 than in the GT3. They both mentioned the pressure numbers, but we were speaking in French and I didn't have a pen to write it down.

Have any of you heard of, or know for a fact, this pressure difference?
Old 11-30-2021, 11:47 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

Further digging for information in Europe, prior to pinning on a GT2. I had a lengthy in-person conversation with two master Porsche mechanics here in Switzerland. Both garages and their owners are well known and regarded. Their reluctance stems from their experience that this is primarily a GT3 (or non-turbo) issue. Why? They say the coolant system pressure is much lower in the GT2 than in the GT3. They both mentioned the pressure numbers, but we were speaking in French and I didn't have a pen to write it down.

Tell that to my 997 turbo that spewed its coolant all over the floor
Old 11-30-2021, 12:44 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ Also, even if the pressure is smaller, once the bonding agent weakens, it's only a matter of time before one of the fittings lets go.

We've all seen Turbos have this problem. I don't understand why anyone would still deny that this is an issue; maybe to not anger the Porsche overlords...
Old 11-30-2021, 01:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

They both have issues. Also, what’s funny about that is there’s more turbos on the road and I bet more have had coolant line failures. However, I could also see GT cars being driven harder (extended time at high RPM’s) with even more heat and that causing more issues. Lots of turbos are used as daily drivers.

Either way there seems to be a real issue with shops wanting to pin lines. I’m really not sure why. It’s an easy job for them. A safety item for us. While I always listen to my shop and what they say, there’s a lot of shops that are only judging failures based on what they see, not based on what’s actually happening. Sure, forums make everything seem like It’s a bigger problem than it is, but I’d take hundreds of people on forums saying something is an issue over a shop that may not see the entire picture. People say IMS bearings don’t fail until it happens to them (it happened to our family on a car). People say dual clutch transmissions don’t blow up (that happened to me). I’ve always over maintained cars too. So I tend to trust forums now.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry