Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Speedster Returns

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

this is somewhat reminiscent of the end of the 993 lines with the C4S and C2S ...

I for one think that Porsche are being creative in their marketing here, they are reusing historic "brands" and creating "unique" product and it appears they are highlighting the "exclusive" dept ...

I wonder then, if in fact this indicates that Porsche are going out with a bang with the 997 ... and that leads me to wonder about the RS SE ...
Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,266 Likes on 611 Posts

I'd much rather have a boxster spyder over this ANY DAY. did you see the interior pics? straight up "pimp my ride"
Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

the boxster spyder is more true to the 1955 "speedster" (although it could be better, if not a concept vehicle put into limited production like that of carrera GT)

this speedster shown here is more "930" IMHO. kinda moving further away from the true original "speedster"......

i sure hope volkswagen dosnt begin building four door porsches in 10 years time with the gt3 engine and labeling them "GT3" ........................
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This end of model cycle is hardly anything to complain about. If Porsche has affluent customers willing to pay up for a Panamera Turbo or a Turbo S Cabriolet close to US$200K, it's only good business to offer products at those price points. The same for the Sport Classic and the GT2 RS.

The way I see it, if the buyer gets a Speedster instead of a loaded Cabriolet, they have a named model with unique resale strength. If they pay $140K for a Cabrio, they get lumped in with the resale averages of all Cabrio's and that makes for expensive motoring. The same will be true for the GTS buyer compared to the Carrera buyer that opted for the power kit.

Of course there's some upper limit to the number of unique models, but there's never been a shortage of 911 variants, especially as the model cycle prepares for "the new 911."

If the '89 Speedster is the measure of the market, this Speedster is like free money in the bank -- get one of the 356 produced, play with it on special occasions, look after it and it will hold its value and perhaps appreciate.

As for the black lord VW, these product plans were no doubt set in place before the acquisition. I think we can expect to see the ham-fisted grasp of VW take hold with the next model. If VW thinks the Gallardo is a sports car, if they think the Veyron is appropriately priced at over a million, well, heaven help us when they put equipment in the 918 and price it out north of $650K. Here's hoping Porsche people inside can still find a way to push out a couple more 911 GT variants with the emphasis on driving, not "possessing" before VW swings the gate shut.

If the 991 is as underwhelming as it sounds like (and remember we only get the Carrera for two years before the first GT variants) ... I think circa 2012, we'll be looking back longingly at the "light, small" 997.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'd much rather have a boxster spyder over this ANY DAY. did you see the interior pics? straight up "pimp my ride"
given that its intended to highlight the work of the "exclusive" dept I think its pretty much in line with that goal ...

I think what we might be seeing here is the results/success of the "Sports Classic", I believe they sold every one of those and so now Porsche are capitalizing on that by creating more small product run "specials" like the GTS and the Speedster ...
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
This end of model cycle is hardly anything to complain about. If Porsche has affluent customers willing to pay up for a Panamera Turbo or a Turbo S Cabriolet close to US$200K, it's only good business to offer products at those price points. The same for the Sport Classic and the GT2 RS.

The way I see it, if the buyer gets a Speedster instead of a loaded Cabriolet, they have a named model with unique resale strength. If they pay $140K for a Cabrio, they get lumped in with the resale averages of all Cabrio's and that makes for expensive motoring. The same will be true for the GTS buyer compared to the Carrera buyer that opted for the power kit.

Of course there's some upper limit to the number of unique models, but there's never been a shortage of 911 variants, especially as the model cycle prepares for "the new 911."

If the '89 Speedster is the measure of the market, this Speedster is like free money in the bank -- get one of the 356 produced, play with it on special occasions, look after it and it will hold its value and perhaps appreciate.

As for the black lord VW, these product plans were no doubt set in place before the acquisition. I think we can expect to see the ham-fisted grasp of VW take hold with the next model. If VW thinks the Gallardo is a sports car, if they think the Veyron is appropriately priced at over a million, well, heaven help us when they put equipment in the 918 and price it out north of $650K. Here's hoping Porsche people inside can still find a way to push out a couple more 911 GT variants with the emphasis on driving, not "possessing" before VW swings the gate shut.

If the 991 is as underwhelming as it sounds like (and remember we only get the Carrera for two years before the first GT variants) ... I think circa 2012, we'll be looking back longingly at the "light, small" 997.
totally agree with all of the above ... personally if I were in the market for a 911 variant today (not GT) I'd be buying a GTS or a Speedster ...
Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
They are hoping you want to collect all 21 versions! I don't really care, as long as they build the ones I like.

Not bad looking...
I only see 20

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Don't worry! That's next week special, 911 Spyder!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Somebody created this over at the Teamspeed site.
It's only a matter of time ... : ) ...
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
...i sure hope volkswagen dosnt begin building four door porsches in 10 years time with the gt3 engine and labeling them "GT3" ........................
You know it's a matter of time, they are racing the Panamera already

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...st-outing.html

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ck-livery.html

There is rumor of Panamera cabriolet already and I bet there will be a Panamera GTS as well. We all know what's coming
Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I for one think that Porsche are being creative in their marketing here, they are reusing historic "brands" and creating "unique" product and it appears they are highlighting the "exclusive" dept ...

I wonder then, if in fact this indicates that Porsche are going out with a bang with the 997 ... and that leads me to wonder about the RS SE ...

Agree with all of the above. This is the way to make an exit...nice and strong while you're at the top. An RS SE is not unexpected at this point and I can only fathom they would save the best for last. It feels like the end of an era, much like back in '98 when the aircooled cars were retired. I don't recall this much fuss being made about the 996 before the switch to the 997. Some damn big shoes will have to be filled by the next gen.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I like the gt2 RS gt3 RS GTS RS 4S GT with the four rear wings on the lower right corner. genius
Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
given that its intended to highlight the work of the "exclusive" dept I think its pretty much in line with that goal ...

I think what we might be seeing here is the results/success of the "Sports Classic", I believe they sold every one of those and so now Porsche are capitalizing on that by creating more small product run "specials" like the GTS and the Speedster ...
yeah I know but I'm just wondering who the hell is actually going to buy one of these brand new?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Somebody created this over at the Teamspeed site.
It's only a matter of time ... : ) ...
I want to order the GT3 GTS in pink pls!
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WAY
I don't understand the pricing policy over at Stuttgart. Why is this and the SC so expensive, whereas the GTS and Spyder are so reasonable?
Good question. I really like the new Speedster (I think it looks fantastic, and I like the specs), but I just learned about pricing -- $204k. I realize it is a limited run (with about only 100 arriving in the USA), but boy, the Spyder is a bargain in comparison.

Quick Reply: Speedster Returns