Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS - Limited Edition - 500 Cars - 500HP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

So when my car was delivered I asked the head of new car sales regarding this New GT3 RS S and he confirmed that this was very much on the drawing board for the American market as they had a thirst for the bigger HP.

He also confirmed that it would not be financially viable for them to build it in Right Hand Drive as there would be only 500 units.

Sounds like it is coming..... Which is good if you want one and BAD if you have a GT3 RS MKII which quite frankly was supposed to be the pinacle and a limted edition vehicle!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
So when my car was delivered I asked the head of new car sales regarding this New GT3 RS S and he confirmed that this was very much on the drawing board for the American market as they had a thirst for the bigger HP.
Right, because all you see on the Porsche forums is U.S. posters complaining about lack of horsepower in their cars.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
A hybrid 911 would not be the end of the world. But it would need to be something closer to a C2/C4 and would have nothing to do with the GT cars.
Test it out on some paying beta testers\customers.

The hybrid may be a technological dead end on its own but I bet we can still learn something from it if it gets used in real-world conditions.
They (Porsche) race the technology...better way of testing.

These pictures show of what will be:
Attached Images    
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Right, because all you see on the Porsche forums is U.S. posters complaining about lack of horsepower in their cars.
Funny you should say that because every time there is a thread discussing an upcoming car, the most requested thing is a 50hp+ increase unlike the incremental 15hp increases Porsche gives us...Not that there's anything wrong with that... so you could say that the comment is valid... no?

I wreckon i'd have twin GT3s if I got $5 for each time of read it... lol...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Funny you should say that because every time there is a thread discussing an upcoming car, the most requested thing is a 50hp+ increase unlike the incremental 15hp increases Porsche gives us... so you could say that the comment is valid... no?
Perhaps, but I'm scratching my head trying to remember a post titled anything along the lines of "I want/need more horsepower in my RS". Granted no driver/racer will ever turn down free horsepower, but I think the German horsepower wars are much more of a home grown phenomenon than driven by US.

Personally, I'd take 10% less weight over 10% more horsepower any day of the week. And there are no end of "stripper" threads to be found on this forum.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Perhaps, but I'm scratching my head trying to remember a post titled anything along the lines of "I want/need more horsepower in my RS". Granted no driver/racer will ever turn down free horsepower, but I think the German horsepower wars are much more of a home grown phenomenon than driven by US.

Personally, I'd take 10% less weight over 10% more horsepower any day of the week. And there are no end of "stripper" threads to be found on this forum.
True
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the racing R&D will make it's way to production. Maybe GT but no matter. As far as racing, it will save fuel and rear tires. It is a great start and coupled with what the weight savings on the frame in the Pano will make it to the 911 at some point. Evolution not revolution. With all of these options in the 997 we know for sure something new is just around the corner

Last edited by roberga; 09-23-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:51 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are those photos of the upcoming road car testing or the race car before it took to the track? Looks great with the side scoops!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

Of course, racing is where it should be initially implemented. I am grateful they raced the same engine block in the GT1 all the way to GT3 Cup and now I have one of the best engines ever created.

But after racing it for a while introducing it to the road can have its uses. Road use and racing use are not the same. Less stressful but more prolonged use that can't be replicated on the track. Race cars are overmaintained compared to road cars. Parts are not left alone for 4 years straight on race cars.

I can't argue the specifics of what they are going to do with hybrid tech(we have no clue about them now). It may or may not make sense to offer it in a road 911. I am just not dismissing it outright before we actually see it done. It very well may end up being crap. Or be crap at first and end up useful. Why worry about rumors?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by YearOne
Are those photos of the upcoming road car testing or the race car before it took to the track? Looks great with the side scoops!
Street car being tested.
Originally Posted by amaist
Of course, racing is where it should be initially implemented. I am grateful they raced the same engine block in the GT1 all the way to GT3 Cup and now I have one of the best engines ever created.

But after racing it for a while introducing it to the road can have its uses. Road use and racing use are not the same. Less stressful but more prolonged use that can't be replicated on the track. Race cars are overmaintained compared to road cars. Parts are not left alone for 4 years straight on race cars.

I can't argue the specifics of what they are going to do with hybrid tech(we have no clue about them now). It may or may not make sense to offer it in a road 911. I am just not dismissing it outright before we actually see it done. It very well may end up being crap. Or be crap at first and end up useful. Why worry about rumors?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, if anything, however I know you're not saying that testing through racing is not as relevant as most think. They race it because IT IS the harshest environment. They also street test as illustrated by the many mule/testing pictures floating on the world wide web, like the ones I posted above.

Who's worried about anything...we're all just merely speculating/giving our opinions on what we think/want.

I think you're underestimating the Porsche engineering department, simply because you are unaware of what they're doing. For all we know they could be testing a particular technology, in this case hybrid technology, for years before we even knew of the possibility of it existing. After all they developed the 918 without anyone knowing.

I think we can all agree to the fact the "next one" will outperform the last one.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Interesting real life example.

From Pistonheads :

"The GT2 RS started out as an unofficial 'hobby' project within Motorsport to create a GT2 'Lightweight'. The idea germinated at the final test session of the gen1 997 GT2 at Estoril back in December 2006. Both Preuninger and Karsten Schebsdat (development of performance manager at GTX) felt the gen1 GT2 had more still to offer and set about proving it. They created a test mule and, with brutal weight saving measures, shaved 100kg off the kerb weight, while the engine guys found another 30hp, taking the total to 560hp. A new car was born, which very quickly received the RS label from anyone who sampled it.

When Rohrl recorded a 7m32 at the 'Ring in the GT2 during the spring of 2007, there was another car tucked away in the garage which the engineers suggested he might like to try for himself. Typically, Rohrl jumped at the chance and clocked 7m29 on his first lap in 'Lighty': all the ammo Preuninger needed to approach the board with his proposal. "

John
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM
BelMaseto
Intermediate

Have seen this triplet today in a spanish highway near to Barcelona:

Cars are using "BB" -Weissach- german plates and externally US-spec, really a suspicious combination here in southern Europe...

Two of the drivers seem to be wearing some mechanic clothes, and I've seen the upper part of a computer on the co-driver seats, opened and facing the drivers.

Maybe this isn't related with the 4.0 rumour, but sure, they are testing something...

Regards.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by BelMaseto
Have seen this triplet today in a spanish highway near to Barcelona:

Cars are using "BB" -Weissach- german plates and externally US-spec, really a suspicious combination here in southern Europe...

Two of the drivers seem to be wearing some mechanic clothes, and I've seen the upper part of a computer on the co-driver seats, opened and facing the drivers.

Maybe this isn't related with the 4.0 rumour, but sure, they are testing something...

Regards.
very cool, dont see any of the typical factory mule "camoflage" or any other noticable differences ... anyway interesting to spot ... and clearly something is going on ... were you not tempted to follow them to their final destination to get some static closeups?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

ok, here is why I am not buying this as a camoflaged mule of a new RS variant.

The rear decklid on this car appears to be either a 997.1 RS or 997.2 GT3 deckid.

These lids are not compatible with the 997.2 RS ram air intake and airbox and I am pretty sure that any 450+ bhp RS variant is going to need both the ram air and airbox from the current car to achieve higher power output ...

just my $0.02 ...

Old 09-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YearOne
looks carefully those side panels are airfix/halfords "go faster" parts designed to hide the real nature of the car ...

Quick Reply: GT3 RS - Limited Edition - 500 Cars - 500HP!!