Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS - Limited Edition - 500 Cars - 500HP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
very cool, dont see any of the typical factory mule "camoflage" or any other noticable differences ... anyway interesting to spot ... and clearly something is going on ... were you not tempted to follow them to their final destination to get some static closeups?

Good move that he didn't follow them. Noticed the 3 vans with the Böblingen Polizei agents inside?

there is no new RS limited with 500hp coming
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Good move that he didn't follow them. Noticed the 3 vans with the Böblingen Polizei agents inside?

there is no new RS limited with 500hp coming
damn ... the ones with the silenced HK MP-5s? ... your good!

I feel like there needs to be a Ronin like car chase now
Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah sure I would love a Ronin chase but we ll chase the one that started this myth.

I am on this from day one it all started in Teamspeed by 1 guy. First day google hits for "GT3 RS Limited" brought only 4 results from teamspeed and one link here. Then it took off from blogs and everyone.
And then a guy went in his dealership asked is there a gt3rs limited coming? Dealer googles sees 300 hits says yeah sure I know a guy who knows a guy who told me..
Maybe I am wrong and Porsche will create an American collectors version or something but I bet that it won’t have an RSR engine with 500hp or parachutes to stop.

John
Old 09-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they would shed 200 lbs and leave the engine alone in a SE RS. Horsepower is not the solution and the GT1 motor is about perfect as it sits. Weight, weight, weight. That's all that matters at 450 hp. The $ spent to R&D a 4.0 liter that has a warranty longer than the life of a goldfish would be better served taking more crap out of the car.... and discovering how many places titanium and carbon fiber really can be used beyond overpriced rinky dink interior parts.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Yeah sure I would love a Ronin chase but we ll chase the one that started this myth.

I am on this from day one it all started in Teamspeed by 1 guy. First day google hits for "GT3 RS Limited" brought only 4 results from teamspeed and one link here. Then it took off from blogs and everyone.
And then a guy went in his dealership asked is there a gt3rs limited coming? Dealer googles sees 300 hits says yeah sure I know a guy who knows a guy who told me..
Maybe I am wrong and Porsche will create an American collectors version or something but I bet that it won’t have an RSR engine with 500hp or parachutes to stop.

John
knowing this, what rumor or misinformation shall we unleash on the unsuspecting 911 aficionados?

I hear there is a worldwide recall on a GT-1 block mezger engine variants to resolve a problem with their "press-on/pop off" coolant hoses ...

Old 09-23-2010, 07:23 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

knowing this, what rumor or misinformation shall we unleash on the unsuspecting 911 aficionados?

I hear there is a worldwide recall on a GT-1 block mezger engine variants to resolve a problem with their "press-on/pop off" coolant hoses ...

Myth Busted
Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,166 Likes on 2,911 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
I wish they would shed 200 lbs and leave the engine alone in a SE RS. Horsepower is not the solution and the GT1 motor is about perfect as it sits. Weight, weight, weight. That's all that matters at 450 hp. The $ spent to R&D a 4.0 liter that has a warranty longer than the life of a goldfish would be better served taking more crap out of the car.... and discovering how many places titanium and carbon fiber really can be used beyond overpriced rinky dink interior parts.
I agree 100%, but Porsche is profit driven and it is WAY easier to place a 4.0L motor from the racing parts bin into the car and charge $60k extra than it is to engineer and manufacture bespoke lightweight parts to save 200 pounds for 500 cars.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

You're right. However, they could look to the RS badge to demonstrate what really can be done from the factory...even if they have to give up some almighty margin dollars on those few units. Start with parts like an Akro exhaust oem and you're on your way....
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is something new in those pics. Four things at least. And it is NOT the rear decklids which are OE .2 decklids with the air intakes (sorry Larry). I PM'ed the original poster to ask him to email the pics for closer examination but I am already very sure of what I see on two cars.

Having had my RS torn apart, by my own hands, I know what should be there and what should not
Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I am pretty confident about what I see on the car with black wheels:

1. Carbon front fenders
2. Different taillights- see the four clear LED's?
3. Different color centerlocks
4. Different sill/rocker area, either missing or painted.

(taillights but no carbon fenders or painted rockers on gold wheel car)

In fact, it looks like they took liberal inspiration from my car
Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BelMaseto
Maybe this isn't related with the 4.0 rumour, but sure, they are testing something...
They are testing welded coolant hoses!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Polesitter
agree 1000%
they should do this. it will counter- balance out the whack models they about to release ie: the speedster, gts...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Ok, I am pretty confident about what I see on the car with black wheels:

1. Carbon front fenders
2. Different taillights- see the four clear LED's?
3. Different color centerlocks
4. Different sill/rocker area, either missing or painted.

(taillights but no carbon fenders or painted rockers on gold wheel car)

In fact, it looks like they took liberal inspiration from my car
I agree on all three cars. One has unusual appearance to the front fenders and the rockers. The color of the centerlock is probably nothing ... maybe they've relented and made a steel nut? The rears look to be standard issue US spec bumperettes with the RS.2 gaping intake cowl. The stack of peculiar white dots is inexplicable. Perhaps some new distinctive tail light ... maybe they've figured out how to shed the couple of pounds the LEDs brought when they replaced the conventional bulbs? That would be a welcome inch forward. I can see a couple of people dropping their 2011 orders to wait for this updated RS if it's real. Rumors from other corners away from the Interwebs and the blogospheroids suggest there's other shoes to drop before Porsche has milked the 997 dry.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

ok, here is why I am not buying this as a camoflaged mule of a new RS variant.

The rear decklid on this car appears to be either a 997.1 RS or 997.2 GT3 deckid.

These lids are not compatible with the 997.2 RS ram air intake and airbox and I am pretty sure that any 450+ bhp RS variant is going to need both the ram air and airbox from the current car to achieve higher power output ...

just my $0.02 ...

Because everything on a mule fits just right and makes sense...
Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Good eyes, savyboy.

Looks to me like the taillights have red tape covering parts of them; perhaps the four dots are holes to allow side illumination to be road legal...

...and maybe it's just an illusion, but in the shot with all three cars, isn't the wing longer on the last car?

Quick Reply: GT3 RS - Limited Edition - 500 Cars - 500HP!!