Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS - Limited Edition - 500 Cars - 500HP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
You could argue the opposite for values ... for those of us who think "pure" and not some battery operated (albeit a race derived) Tonka Toy!

point is there are some of us (maybe just me) that while impressed with the hybrid technology, would consider it a step down from the "purist"/"classic" current 3.8L generation cars ...

I vote with you on this. Hybrid, schmybrid. Complexity, weight, yuck. Me, I love burning dead dinosaurs. Gonna tweak your electric motor to have a louder hum on track? lol...

Laguna Seca area homeowners are surely behind this hybrid initiative. Bastards...

Originally Posted by Nizer
500hp 4.0L stroker RS with more top and bottom end grunt, solid suspension, and some lighter CF/Alu bits...maybe even better color choices to boot?!? Who knows if it's true but it'd be an insane track toy and I'd be all over it.

As for residual values, just reinforces the view that you should drive em into the ground.
You get my vote as well! They are going to depreciate with wild abandon, you may as well get some driving pleasure for your $40,000 annual hit.

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
My guess is that the "next one", whenever that is, will be Hybrid, 500 bhp (or thereabouts) and will offer PDK.
Dang I am feeling agreeable this morning. Wouldn't surprise me at all. So, what is this mythical car designated as MJ?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

savvy the highway 68 coalition is only 6 members strong. we can take them out asap.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
Yeah, did you see that stupid GTS thing!

What a joke!!
you serious? I think it's sweet
Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
you serious? I think it's sweet
I'd buy it if I were in the market for a non GT 911 ...
Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
savvy the highway 68 coalition is only 6 members strong. we can take them out asap.
speaking of taking them out, looking forward to seeing you taking the halos out and then the A's up in Oakland. Go Rangers! (we'll be at one or more of the games in Oakland)

-Doug
Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Just read this on TeamSpeed:

"I just came from our dealer and they did confirm that there will be a GT3RS Limited Edition. They say it will be priced between the GT3RS and GT2RS. Closer to the GT2RS though and possibly more expensive. I mentioned the reaction of current GT3RS owners and they said these "Limited Runs" are aimed to compete with the aftermarket tuners who modify Porsches and sell them at double the price because of the exclusivity. If aftermarket tuners can put on special body kits, engine upgrades and exclusive interior trims, then sell these upgrades for the same amount as the standard car it is based, then Porsche can do the same and better( it comes with warranty).They started this with the Sport Classic then the new Speedster now the GT3RS "LE". These cars are also marketed more for the collectors than avid users. So they will mostly be sitting in a garage and being pampered than being enjoyed on a track. They all come with hefty price tags as well which collectors apparently don't mind.

I think most GT3 and GT3RS owners enjoy their cars because of how they perform rather than it just being part of a collection. But for collectors, these "Limited Runs" are a must have. I don't think current GT3RS need to feel bad because their cars are priced to be used and played with. The GT3RS "LE" will be priced to be kept and pampered in a collection."

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
11 RS Ordered (but might not take delivery if this LE is real)
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by daedton
I mentioned the reaction of current GT3RS owners and they said these "Limited Runs" are aimed to compete with the aftermarket tuners who modify Porsches and sell them at double the price because of the exclusivity. If aftermarket tuners can put on special body kits, engine upgrades and exclusive interior trims, then sell these upgrades for the same amount as the standard car it is based, then Porsche can do the same and better( it comes with warranty)....
Uhmm. So does this mean Porsche is going to start putting rollbars, harnesses, and real track seats in the RS because those are the first mods I'm looking to make? How about Pagids, Motul, and significantly lighter exhaust? Hey just askin'....
Old 09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Uhmm. So does this mean Porsche is going to start putting rollbars, harnesses, and real track seats in the RS because those are the first mods I'm looking to make? How about Pagids, Motul, and significantly lighter exhaust? Hey just askin'....
Er well in all fairness isn't this the clubsport pkg ... its not Porsche's fault that the DOT wont allow cars to come in with such equipment installed ... right?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Er well in all fairness isn't this the clubsport pkg ... its not Porsche's fault that the DOT wont allow cars to come in with such equipment installed ... right?
And yet somehow other manufacturers find a way... I guess Porsche engineers just aren't up to the task. Or are they perhaps too cheap to offer a harness bar solution or included welded plates in the floor. How about real lightweight seats?.....

I think a more accurate answer is that Porsche is happy to hide behind the "legal" banner while extracting more margin from US cars by offering less "real" content.

Now when it comes to poser bling I agree they can hang with the best aftermarket folks.
Attached Images     
Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Ya gotta love the irony...

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...roof-standards

Nader protests against proposed NHTSA roof standards
Ralph Hanson May 11th, 2008
By Ralph Hanson

"May 11th, 2008 Presidential candidate and longtime activist Ralph Nader has once again voiced his objection to proposed vehicle roof-safety standards from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), telling reporters the standards should be much tougher. Current regulations require vehicles sold in the United States to withstand 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle without collapsing more than five inches into occupancy space. The NHTSA proposal would increase the requirement to 2.5 times the vehicle’s weight, however Nader and other advocates want vehicles to withstand at least 4 times their weight, reports Consumer Affairs. Roughly 11,000 people die on American roads from rollovers each year (about 24,000 suffer permanently disabling accidents), which accounts for 25% of all fatalities even though it constitutes just 5% of all accidents. According to Nader, most of those injuries and deaths occur when the roof collapses, breaking passengers' necks. Nader also hopes to see rollover accidents become part of official crash testing, in the same fashion as current front, side and rear impact testing. A number of carmakers, such as Volvo, Saab and Subaru, are already building cars that exceed the federal standards. The NHTSA, which is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation, is expected to update its 36-year-old roof crush standard in July.

Nader protests against proposed NHTSA roof standards
Enlarge PhotoPresidential candidate and longtime activist Ralph Nader has once again voiced his objection to proposed vehicle roof-safety standards from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), telling reporters the standards should be much tougher.

Current regulations require vehicles sold in the United States to withstand 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle without collapsing more than five inches into occupancy space. The NHTSA proposal would increase the requirement to 2.5 times the vehicle’s weight, however Nader and other advocates want vehicles to withstand at least 4 times their weight, reports Consumer Affairs.

Roughly 11,000 people die on American roads from rollovers each year (about 24,000 suffer permanently disabling accidents), which accounts for 25% of all fatalities even though it constitutes just 5% of all accidents. According to Nader, most of those injuries and deaths occur when the roof collapses, breaking passengers' necks.

Nader also hopes to see rollover accidents become part of official crash testing, in the same fashion as current front, side and rear impact testing.

A number of carmakers, such as Volvo, Saab and Subaru, are already building cars that exceed the federal standards. The NHTSA, which is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation, is expected to update its 36-year-old roof crush standard in July."
Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

And yet somehow other manufacturers find a way... I guess Porsche engineers just aren't up to the task. Or are they perhaps too cheap to offer a harness bar solution or included welded plates in the floor. How about real lightweight seats?.....

I think a more accurate answer is that Porsche is happy to hide behind the "legal" banner while extracting more margin from US cars by offering less "real" content.

Now when it comes to poser bling I agree they can hang with the best aftermarket folks.
which one(s)? I think that the existence of the RoW "clubsport" pkg in all the GT3s as a zero cost option is a pretty good example that where they can they do offer it ... so I dont see any evidence for the "margin extraction" ...
Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Jeep is an interesting example, but keep in mind that it's not the roll bar per se, it's the crash testing and the impact on other government red tape nonsense (a car with a roll cage might have to have side impact tests, the added weight might change testing on fuel consumption or other averages.) The same argument arose over sunroofs in GT cars. Porsche apparently relented or saw the light (but not through a hole overhead.) Whatever their excuse to insist on the mandatory optional sunroof and their latter excuse to build 2010 cars without the sunroof, who can say what's really going on behind closed doors in Porsche business decisions, they made the cost-benefit decision to build GT cars without sunroofs. I imagine this influenced 100's of sales. I doubt a roll cage would influence even a single sale. Those of us wanting one, will put one in. Those of us on the fence are not using the absence of a roll cage as a reason to buy a different brand.

I don't see any relevance in the Mazda convertibles, perhaps you can explain there.

Those seats are circa 2005 F430 and were discontinued because of thorax air-bag side-impact test requirements.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The Jeep is an interesting example, but keep in mind that it's not the roll bar per se, it's the crash testing and the impact on other government red tape nonsense (a car with a roll cage might have to have side impact tests, the added weight might change testing on fuel consumption or other averages.) The same argument arose over sunroofs in GT cars. Porsche apparently relented or saw the light (but not through a hole overhead.) Whatever their excuse to insist on the mandatory optional sunroof and their latter excuse to build 2010 cars without the sunroof, who can say what's really going on behind closed doors in Porsche business decisions, they made the cost-benefit decision to build GT cars without sunroofs. I imagine this influenced 100's of sales. I doubt a roll cage would influence even a single sale. Those of us wanting one, will put one in. Those of us on the fence are not using the absence of a roll cage as a reason to buy a different brand.

I don't see any relevance in the Mazda convertibles, perhaps you can explain there.

Those seats are circa 2005 F430 and were discontinued because of thorax air-bag side-impact test requirements.
Carrera GT: Your sunroof example is excellent and goes directly to my point: Porsche makes these decisions for profit reasons and then hides behind the DOT excuse until the collective we scream loud enough, whereby suddenly a solution is found. Does anyone on this forum really think the sunroof debacle had anything to do with DOT? It was a cost/profit decision most likely made by marketing and accounting dweebs.

Ask yourself why Porsche doesn't weld rollbar plates into the floor of GT3 anymore. Do you really think it has anything to do with DOT or the lawyers, or did some accountant figure out that they could save 30cents in labor and materials by skipping that step?

The convertible examples were to show that rollbars are actually being sold on US cars. The manufacturers have merely taken the time to come up with an engineering solution to the DOT guidelines, i.e., they've covered them with a form of protective padding. Porsche could find a way as well if they cared to.

Re: the seats, the photo is from Superquant's 458. I don't recall them being a retrofit so I guess Ferrari found a way...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=39426
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts
Default The Eagle has Landed.........................!!!

After a 5 Month Wait I finally took delivery...
Attached Images      
Old 09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
After a 5 Month Wait I finally took delivery...
Will you be putting this one in the Targa?

Quick Reply: GT3 RS - Limited Edition - 500 Cars - 500HP!!