Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Gen 2 GT3RS petrol warning light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:10 AM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 2 GT3RS petrol warning light issue

Was out running the new car in. Petrol light chimed and I checked the on board computer which said I had 53km left. One minute later, car loses power and some how I manage to roll across 6 lane highway (I was on the Sheik Zayed Road - truly NOT the place for this to happen) and pull onto hard shoulder. Turn everything off and then trun car over - it's trying to fire but nothing. I'm thinking i've run out of fuel..... but confused as to the 53km the computer told me and the fact the warning light had literally just come on.... I walk to the garage and buy petrol can and petrol and walk back (lose about 7lbs in weight - nice way to save weight for the RS). Get the fuel in (with the ingenious use of sunglasses (use the arm to keep the flap open). Waited and then fired her up and (thanks be to Allah) the green baby starts.

Anyone else had this problem? - I can't believe the onboard was so wrong and that I ran out immediately after the car's warning light and chime came on.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:39 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i have been down to 20km left on two occasions. one being full laps on the ring. other being autobahn at 280kph+ driving to next esso station. no problems and well past the initial fuel warning light.

how do you run low on fuel in Dubai? i would figure there is gas station every corner.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by carrering
..... and well past the initial fuel warning light.
The last part of your first paragraph is exactly my point - mine was not well past the initial fuel light - it ran out as soon as it came on.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:18 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Only thing that's possible is if you were on full throttle for less than a minute after the light came on. I would imagine anything full throttle could guzzle up gas rather quickly.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 PM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by 9972RS
Only thing that's possible is if you were on full throttle for less than a minute after the light came on. I would imagine anything full throttle could guzzle up gas rather quickly.
if only i was.....
Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
Was out running the new car in. Petrol light chimed and I checked the on board computer which said I had 53km left. One minute later, car loses power and some how I manage to roll across 6 lane highway (I was on the Sheik Zayed Road - truly NOT the place for this to happen) and pull onto hard shoulder. Turn everything off and then trun car over - it's trying to fire but nothing. I'm thinking i've run out of fuel..... but confused as to the 53km the computer told me and the fact the warning light had literally just come on.... I walk to the garage and buy petrol can and petrol and walk back (lose about 7lbs in weight - nice way to save weight for the RS). Get the fuel in (with the ingenious use of sunglasses (use the arm to keep the flap open). Waited and then fired her up and (thanks be to Allah) the green baby starts.

Anyone else had this problem? - I can't believe the onboard was so wrong and that I ran out immediately after the car's warning light and chime came on.

That's really wierd....

My 996 Turbo would sometime stay empty on the gauge after I would fill up and from memory I think that it had something to do with the float marker remaining at the bottom of the tank rather than rising.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

i have been down to 20km left on two occasions. one being full laps on the ring. other being autobahn at 280kph+ driving to next esso station. no problems and well past the initial fuel warning light.

how do you run low on fuel in Dubai? i would figure there is gas station every corner.

LOL x 2!!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
no way. full throttle has definitely been applied and you wouldn't run out of fuel that quickly.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

sounds like a calibration problem, get it checked out using der Hammer

R+C
Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I've run mine down to 10 miles to empty and around 10-12 miles to empty it goes blank, I gas up before I drive another 10 miles and never ran out of gas..
Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

you do know how embarassing it would be to run out of gas on the ring ...

Quick Reply: Gen 2 GT3RS petrol warning light issue