Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ca GT3 auto insurance premiums ... sigh

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts
Default Ca GT3 auto insurance premiums ... sigh

So I have had coverage with Mercury for the last 4+ years for my GT3 and BMWs, with pretty aggressive rates ...

So, I just got my quote in for the next 6 months and my insurance premiums have more than doubled, despite having changed the GT3 from the '07 to '10 in April just after the renewal and received no changes then ...

It appears that inaccuate VIN decoding was at fault (they thought it was a cheaper car despite listing the model as "2010 911 GT3 Coupe", so they have now ascertained that the cars collision and comprehensive premiums are much higher ... they are quoting comp/collision as $1144+1716...

So beware of this potential "bug".

Now I am in the market for a new provider, any recommendations?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
lumpking
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get in, USAA is hands down the best in every area. By far they have the ABSOLUTE best customer service of any organization I have ever had to deal with. Not afiliated, just a very satisfied customer.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lumpking
If you can get in, USAA is hands down the best in every area. By far they have the ABSOLUTE best customer service of any organization I have ever had to deal with. Not afiliated, just a very satisfied customer.
Thanks, but we ex-pat Scots aren't eligible!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,298 Likes on 615 Posts

I'm with travellers and my total price for the year is just under 6k- and thats for the RS , CGT, a 4wd truck and a 2010 gti and that's with full coverage on all of them
Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm with travellers and my total price for the year is just under 6k- and thats for the RS , CGT, a 4wd truck and a 2010 gti and that's with full coverage on all of them
cheers I will try them for a quote!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

AAA - go with their "flex" plan. My GT3 RS full coverage (max coverage in all categories) with $250 deductible was $1400 for the whole year - pending your driving record and age
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
they came in around 3k for 6 mtns somewhere between progressive and geico
Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing to be careful of is the fact that not all policies are the same price for everyone. There are a host of variables that can cause the rate to differ from person to person.
Driving record, annual mileage, where you live, gender, years licensed and specific type of car all add to the mix.

I have done a great deal of research on this topic as it is of special interest to me. I can tell you this, there is a BIG difference in each policy out there. "Insurance is insurance" you say...? I beg to differ.

-Careful on the AAA thing...they have a specific exclusion for track use.
-USAA is for military and ex-military only. Good Company, but not available for all.
-Travelers is not bad for up north, but not down south. Not clear on their track policy.
-State Farm is not very clear, but there is verbiage that gives them an out. But it also means it is vague and possibly abmiguous...which works in the insured's favor.
-Allstate and Progressive clearly say no coverage at a racing facility or on either a temporary or perm. racing surface.
-Mercury's policy does not exclude use on a track. In fact, it is one of the few that will cover you if you as long as it is not a "prearranged contest for speed." So, for instance, an HPDE with an instructor in the car would be covered. There is no prize money and no timing. Add either one and you're screwed.

Larry, I am curious about your policy issue. I am not so sure that the Agent isn't the problem. If you want some help, I can look at it for you and possibly help. Plus, I have freinds in low places.....

Yep, not hard to figure out what I do for a living...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fooshe
One thing to be careful of is the fact that not all policies are the same price for everyone. There are a host of variables that can cause the rate to differ from person to person.
Driving record, annual mileage, where you live, gender, years licensed and specific type of car all add to the mix.

None of those variables have changed ... only the '10 replacing the '07 ...

I have done a great deal of research on this topic as it is of special interest to me. I can tell you this, there is a BIG difference in each policy out there. "Insurance is insurance" you say...? I beg to differ.

-Careful on the AAA thing...they have a specific exclusion for track use.
-USAA is for military and ex-military only. Good Company, but not available for all.
-Travelers is not bad for up north, but not down south. Not clear on their track policy.
-State Farm is not very clear, but there is verbiage that gives them an out. But it also means it is vague and possibly abmiguous...which works in the insured's favor.
-Allstate and Progressive clearly say no coverage at a racing facility or on either a temporary or perm. racing surface.
-Mercury's policy does not exclude use on a track. In fact, it is one of the few that will cover you if you as long as it is not a "prearranged contest for speed." So, for instance, an HPDE with an instructor in the car would be covered. There is no prize money and no timing. Add either one and you're screwed.

Larry, I am curious about your policy issue. I am not so sure that the Agent isn't the problem. If you want some help, I can look at it for you and possibly help. Plus, I have freinds in low places.....
according to the agent Mercury "properly" decoded the VIN on the 2010 GT3 and repriced the comprehensive & collision premiums on my forthcoming renewal for a change in total of 19xx for the last 6 months to 42xx for the forthcoming 6 months. (I also have a '10 BMW 535ix wagon and '08 528i on the policy)

Note that nothing has changed, I sold my '07 GT3 back in April *just* after I renewed the policy, and replaced it with the 2010, no change in premiums when I recorded the change...

any help/insight you can provide I'd happily accept ...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Pm sent to you....
Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Pm sent to you....
MANY THANKS!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Fooshe
Racer

No worries....it's what I do.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

AAA is good for any exclusive 911 variant...they don't differentiate between models so you pay the same whether its a carrera 2 or a gt2.

At 24 y.o. and points on my record, I'm paying $1800/year for full coverage on my GT3 and liability on my Range Rover Classic.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
AAA is good for any exclusive 911 variant...they don't differentiate between models so you pay the same whether its a carrera 2 or a gt2.

At 24 y.o. and points on my record, I'm paying $1800/year for full coverage on my GT3 and liability on my Range Rover Classic.
Sounds of Larry @ age 50, with a clean record (of late, dont ask), good driver, multiple vehicle and multiple policy discounts et al passing out on the floor ...
Old 09-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Larry, check your PM's.

Quick Reply: Ca GT3 auto insurance premiums ... sigh