Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2:04 VIR Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

and i hate these cam without a view finder. how would i know what the fk i am pointing at.
i heard smarty cam has a view finder.
get that.
Same here, upgraded to Sony HD wity the traqmate. Helpms me go Flatout.

RMAG; 2.04 , I'm on the waitlist with Chin at VIR end of October. Throwing down the gauntlet...

Thanks for giving me an impossible target laptime Great driving!!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

I've got a remote mic, but can't seem to find a place where wind noise doesn't destroy the audio. Any suggestions on mic/placement?
Try the glove box with plug in ear phones. Worked for me with the Chasecam.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

Ryan,
Very nice lap!
I have not seen you in a couple years, as I have not been to a DE in quite a while.
Are you going to First Settlers VIR event later this month?
I was thinking of going on Monday and bringing my M3 (its just my daily driver with regular street tires).
I am selling my cup car because racing doesnt fit the budget anymore. But I am having withdrawals from not even being on track in a while. I was hoping to run the Patron series this year but after Sebring in March I havent even been on track.
I havent even seen the new RS in person either. I was on the list for one but I had to pass on it.
So after I sell my cup car the only thing I have to take to the track is the M3.
Let me know if you are going to VIR with 1st Settlers. I may try and get there.

Again, very nice lap! If I remember correctly my fastest lap in my stock 07 RS was a 2:05.xx
I have no idea what kind of times to expect in my 09 M3 with street tires, but I know it wont be close to that. Nevertheless I would love to try and chase after you at VIR.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

matt, trade your car to switchcars.com
pick up a GT3 or RS, or just get a 996GT3 and run it in DE.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
matt, trade your car to switchcars.com
pick up a GT3 or RS, or just get a 996GT3 and run it in DE.
I have thought about that. I dont think Doug at Switchcars wants anymore cup cars right now though.
Besides, I am afraid DE's will not quite be satisfying enough. I figure maybe I will give it a go in the M3 first and then see how I feel.
I was also thinking of just renting a SpecBox for some races to fill my need for speed. I dont know what to expect from that either though.
The other option I was considering was maybe renting a seat in Grand-Am ST next year for a few races. I think the level of competition there will be the best in any racing I can (possibly) afford to do. Probably even better than the Patron series.
Besides, I have gotten lazy about working on my own cars at the track or even to prepare for the track. The thought of having to change brakes, wheels, etc in preparation for a DE is not all that appealing anymore. Call me a snob.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

isn't grand am ST just as $$$ as patron?

spec box is boring unless your area got a big grid for them. it's miata with porsche logo. with a large grid, it's very fun. if the grid is small, then you are just driving a slow car.

i dont know the racing scene in virginia, but here in norcal, i just race whomever is my speed, whatever they are driving. in socal is even better. POC has some good classes.

i am not as "snobby" as you lol. but working on own car gets old. i have trained my 6 YO to help bleed the brakes and she's good at rolling old tires away from the car to help me change tires.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

grand am ST is less than half to rent a seat per race as compared to Patron. and I wouldnt have the expense of buying/owning the car.
I think the costs are approx.
Patron $20K - $25K per race event
ST $8K - $10K per race event
GS is more like Patron as far as per event cost.

east coast has a fair field in spec box. I think most of the bigger pca races have 6-12 cars. and it is MUCH MUCH cheaper than anything I mentioned above!

I really like the spec type races. It makes for more fun in my opinion when all cars are even. That is one reason I really like Patron. Plus Patron always has a minimum of 10-12 cars in each class (gold and platinum). Most races have more.

I like your idea of having your 6 year old helping out! If I end up doing more work on my cars I will start training both my 6 and 9 year old girls to help.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

grand am ST is less than half to rent a seat per race as compared to Patron. and I wouldnt have the expense of buying/owning the car.
I think the costs are approx.
Patron $20K - $25K per race event
ST $8K - $10K per race event
GS is more like Patron as far as per event cost.
========> too rich for me.

east coast has a fair field in spec box. I think most of the bigger pca races have 6-12 cars. and it is MUCH MUCH cheaper than anything I mentioned above!
========> not bad, but when i raced with POC, we had close to 20 BSR's. that was fun, going 3 wide into T2. i thought i had good defensive line until suddenly i saw a car on my OUTSIDE. whoa... learn something new every day.

I really like the spec type races. It makes for more fun in my opinion when all cars are even. That is one reason I really like Patron. Plus Patron always has a minimum of 10-12 cars in each class (gold and platinum). Most races have more.
========> patron looks fun. wish they would just call my lottery number so i can run a race even DFL. i dont know much about patron but for most spec racing, it aint spec. and cars are not equal.

I like your idea of having your 6 year old helping out! If I end up doing more work on my cars I will start training both my 6 and 9 year old girls to help.
===> nine year old. hell she should be doing oil changes and her small hands would be great at pulling out spk plugs. max at two is learning how to pick up my 18v snap on impact gun. but he's still trying to drop that thing on mia's head.....
Old 09-07-2010, 09:25 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Ryan,
Very nice lap!
I have not seen you in a couple years, as I have not been to a DE in quite a while.
Are you going to First Settlers VIR event later this month?
I was thinking of going on Monday and bringing my M3 (its just my daily driver with regular street tires).
I am selling my cup car because racing doesnt fit the budget anymore. But I am having withdrawals from not even being on track in a while. I was hoping to run the Patron series this year but after Sebring in March I havent even been on track.
I havent even seen the new RS in person either. I was on the list for one but I had to pass on it.
So after I sell my cup car the only thing I have to take to the track is the M3.
Let me know if you are going to VIR with 1st Settlers. I may try and get there.

Again, very nice lap! If I remember correctly my fastest lap in my stock 07 RS was a 2:05.xx
I have no idea what kind of times to expect in my 09 M3 with street tires, but I know it wont be close to that. Nevertheless I would love to try and chase after you at VIR.
Hey Matt! yea, been a while ... I think it was SP CR weekend last time I saw you at the track (although watched you quite a few times in the Patron). Saw your car for sale in the classifieds (very tempting). Not doing FSR. Did it one year, but driving 4 hrs to do south course 2 days and main for only one wasn't really worth it. South too short, plus with where you paddock, it has huge gravel which gets on the track. 4 people cracked windshields (including me).

How about some pointers (I know this car has a 2:03 in it with me droving):

I'm losing 1/2-3/4 seconds in the esses. I lift before entering the left hander, then get on the gas after first right hander. Looking at the lat g's I'm maxed at first right hander, but then under for the rest. What's the key to entry?

Braking into Rollercoaster I'm losing about 1/2 second. I brake about the 2 marker, trail a bit, but then seem to have slowed down too much and on the gas for a blip or two before braking again for right hander at top of hill.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent run rmag, a pleasure to watch. Very respectable indeed.

Quick Reply: 2:04 VIR Video