Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 RS Review - Chris Harris is a literary Genius!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with you about Harris. After all, the internet does not have that many people on it who are the real deal. The guy has been great at Autocar, he did lots of good videos on Driver´s Republic and it´s good for evo and also for him about where he is now. Imagine how difficult it must be to write a review for two mags on the same car and not repeat your ideas. Is copying yourself bad? Maybe he should´ve just not taken the order for an article, I can give you that to a certain extent.

Ever listen to or read interviews with Röhrl? He says the same old thing in each and every one of them and fairly predictably while he is at it. GT3 better for track, Turbo better for road, etc, etc. STill, would you call him over rated?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

He is somewhat entertaining - I'll give him that but a "literary genius" is certainly a stretch. Rohrl is a driving legend not a journalist. He can only describe how the car behaves a few different ways, especially 911's.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:10 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Riz
Chris Harris is so over rated IMO. He says practically the same thing for every review. The word "journalist" should not be used for an automotive reporter. His review in Excellence was the same article as in Evo. I should have just bought the Excellence mag, and not wastes my money on Evo. I think you guys love him just because he loves Porsches, and don't like Jeremy Clarkson because he loves Ferraris. I'm getting tired of this Chris Harris worship on this forum.
The EVO and Excellence articles have some cross over content, so Chris plagarized himself a bit. The EVO article is longer and more entertaining The guy does know how to write a car review. Great sense of humor and he knows his Porsches.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Not only is he a good writer but he did race an endurance race recently? Was it Le Mans 24 hr and got like top 30 with a stock GT3 RS.2?

Anyway, BBTurbo, your search for the holy grail might be done every four to five years (usual model replacement interval) since these cars get better every iteration!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a road car. in about 9 months post release, it will be 80grand off MSRP.
right now they cant find enough buyers. i have had atleast 2,3 calls from dealerships looking for a buyer for cars, at a discount to msrp, else they will lose their allocations THIS COMING week.

to me, priced about 30,40grand too high. should be priced similar to a 2008 GT2 and thats about the sum total of that.

great car but whats its purpose?? too powerful for the road. a 2010 Cup car at 50grand, 80 gtrand less will own it on the track.

do i love the concept? dang yes! big gt3RS lover. but at 250, 260? way off imho.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default It was the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring and he placed 13th!!!

Silverboy: It was at the recent 24 Hours of the Nurburgring. He, along with three other drivers in a basically showroom stock 2010 gt3 RS (actually, a proto-type), came in 13th in a field of 200 cars. That was a great feat for Porsche AG and these drivers, which included ex-German Touring Car champion Roland Asch, race driver Patrick Simon (remember him driving the Riviera blue gt3 around an airfield?) and fellow journalist Horst von Saurma (all German, except for Chris). Walter Rohrl was going to be one of the drivers but he hurt his back and couldn't compete. I totally disagree with Riz here. Compared to other auto journalist of today's era, Chris Harris is extremely competent, both on his written reviews, well-acted videos (he is likable in front of a camera, a great attribute to have in the business) and in his skills at the track. I think his cadre of fans here in this forum (and elsewhere) and his good reputation is well deserved. z356

Last edited by Z356; 09-06-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Getting Walter's last name right!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHUE7...ayer_embedded#!

John
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 764 Posts

I'v seen the car at the museum myself and owning one made it cool as hell!
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i like chris harris coz he likes 917's. he is a very personable character, able to mix it up with cockneys, guvs, spivs, geezers, geeks.....the lot! he has almost unrivalled passion for our beloved marque, and is a good steerer with a funky head-tilt when engaging in full-on oversteer attack! he is a good little monkee, but he must rue the day he sold his 993 gt2.......forever rue that day.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Did anyone read the Chris Harris article in EVO about how there is a bit of Hethel at Porsche. This he says is the reason the new 997.2 GT3 and RS seem to ride a lot better than the 997.1 versions. He says that a former Lotus engineer now works at Porsche. What a load of crock - totally inaccurate. I own an Elise and an Exige 240, as well as 996 GT3 and 997.2 RS. I agree the 997.2 GT3 rides much better than the 996 GT3 especially. The Lotus cars that I have are horrible over any bumps, they crash and buzz and vibrate. They feel like they are completely going to fall apart. The Porsches are so much better in every way except in nimbleness and steering feel. I love the Elige and Exige S but don't tell me they ride better than any of the current Porsches. I think the current Porsche GT cars are great because of the engineers working there now, not because of one Lotus recruit.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Did anyone read the Chris Harris article in EVO about how there is a bit of Hethel at Porsche. This he says is the reason the new 997.2 GT3 and RS seem to ride a lot better than the 997.1 versions. He says that a former Lotus engineer now works at Porsche. What a load of crock - totally inaccurate. I own an Elise and an Exige 240, as well as 996 GT3 and 997.2 RS. I agree the 997.2 GT3 rides much better than the 996 GT3 especially. The Lotus cars that I have are horrible over any bumps, they crash and buzz and vibrate. They feel like they are completely going to fall apart. The Porsches are so much better in every way except in nimbleness and steering feel. I love the Elige and Exige S but don't tell me they ride better than any of the current Porsches. I think the current Porsche GT cars are great because of the engineers working there now, not because of one Lotus recruit.
Usually car "reporters" are vague, inaccurate and don’t know their cars and sometimes substitute their inability with humor or by being mean, but this guy knows cars and loves Porsches, he is down to earth considering his latest success and more importantly now has inside information for Porsche most of us don't , so I wouldn’t dismiss he comments entirely.
BTW the GT3997.1 PASM was so bad that even if they hired me and you to do the new settings probably we could do it better, so maybe this Lotus guru transforming the GTs is not precise but maybe indeed they hired a Lotus suspension expert who contributes to Weissach. Lotus even in its bad days earned money to setup and correct suspension mistakes for dozens of manufacturers.

John
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

I agree with you as far as Lotus engineers knowing how to set up a car for handling. I think Porsche engineers are better at getting the balance between ride quality and handling. Anyway - I welcome the Lotus guy to Porsche if he has anything to do with the ride/handling of the new GT3 RS. OK - I'm over the Chris Harris thing now.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riz
Chris Harris is so over rated IMO. He says practically the same thing for every review. The word "journalist" should not be used for an automotive reporter. His review in Excellence was the same article as in Evo. I should have just bought the Excellence mag, and not wastes my money on Evo. I think you guys love him just because he loves Porsches, and don't like Jeremy Clarkson because he loves Ferraris. I'm getting tired of this Chris Harris worship on this forum.
I used to think the same of a certain sports reporter (Bob McKenzie) who repeated the same thing in his blog as in his radio interviews, but.... what do you expect? Once Harris makes up his mind about a certain subject, should he have a different opinion when he writes about it in different magazines?

Wouldn't that make him a hypocrite?

I love Clarkson and Harris, not because they make me feel better about myself, but because I find them entertaining, each in their own way.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
The EVO and Excellence articles have some cross over content, so Chris plagarized himself a bit. The EVO article is longer and more entertaining The guy does know how to write a car review. Great sense of humor and he knows his Porsches.

Harris does say in the Excellence article that he thinks the .2-3RS just nips the new 2RS in terms of overall handling feel...Maybe tied to engine characteristics of the NA motor?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 PM
micahbones
Racer

Great video -- thx for posting John!

Based on his previous vids on Driver's Republic & the fact that Porsche allowed him to drive an RS Spyder at Weissach (one of the few auto journalists to do so) + race at this year's 'Ring 24hr, Harris is at least a decent race car driver and a damn good shoe IMO. Probably my favorite current auto journalist & a true lover of Porsches. Don't really understand the haters I have seen on this and other forums.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Review - Chris Harris is a literary Genius!!