Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 RS Review - Chris Harris is a literary Genius!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 RS Review - Chris Harris is a literary Genius!!

I recently committed to buying a GT2RS. Between the GT2RS and the 458 Italia, I'm committing more to two cars than I did to my first two houses combined. So I've been searching for justification for my irresponsible car purchase decisions. I've tried, "You can't take it with you." "You're only 49, you have plenty of time to get the money back in the bank." "The economy sucks, investments won't earn anything anyways." Nothing was really ringing true until I read Chris Murphy's review of the GT2 RS in the Sept 2010 issue of EVO.

Title.... Flat out in the most powerful Porsche ever. Since the Flat Out You Tube Video is one of my all time track based favorites, Chris was off to a good start.

It only gets better.....

Page 70: While approaching an unrestricted section of the Autobahn outside of Stuttgart. (Some edits for length) "You can never be sure how fast something is relative to it's competition. I'm pondering this when the toothy mug of a Ferrari 599 slowly fills all 3 mirrors. Ferrari Man is jostling keen to see what the Porsche can do. He carves a light slalom within his lane - swoosh, left and then right. The Mercedes in front submits at a little under 95 mph. We're in third gear and I push the throttle pedal onto its stop. As the 911's **** pushes into the ground, the Ferrari's nose rises and it's image immediately shrinks in size before the rearview mirror loses sight of it."

Wait, it gets even better still.....

" Into fourth and the 599 reappears in the wavering glass, noticeably further behind. The GT2 RS devours 4th gear, not just edging, but gapping away from the 599. At an indicated 190mph, the GT2 RS is still accelerating with alarming violence. We slow down due to traffic ahead."

And the best of all.......

"The Ferrari slopes on the inside beside us where the driver deliberately widens his eyes, puffs his cheeks and exhales, nodding."

Some other noteworthy quotes:
When discussing how sedate the car and the exhaust is at idle, Chris comments:
"It gets your attention at half throttle. Oh Yes, it grabs you by the lapels, shakes you and yells, DON'T #$^&ing ASSUME THAT JUST BECAUSE I CAN IDLE SMOOTHLY I WON'T SMASH YOU INTO THE SWABIAN UNDERGROWTH, BECAUSE I WILL YOU SHANDY-DRINKING ENGLISH CHILD."

And one final quote:
"Does the manual transmission hamper the package? Not at all, it adds to the sense that this is one of the last great bread n' butter driving experiences. If you're good, the car is good. If you're crap, the car will most probably kill you."

So in conclusion, after reading the article, I'm over the guilts. I'm ready to run Flat Out in a higher plane. No more slow cars to ruin my superior reflexes. Thanks to Chris Harris of EVO for a great write up.

Last edited by BBTurbo; 09-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:08 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 469 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8

For (funny) reference.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BBTurbo
I recently committed to buying a GT2RS. Since then, the guilt monsters have set in. Between the GT2RS and the 458 Italia, I'm committing more to two cars than I did to my first two houses combined. So I've been searching for justification for my irresponsible car purchase decisions. I've tried, "You can't take it with you." "You're only 49, you have plenty of time to get the money back in the bank." "The economy sucks, investments won't earn anything anyways." Nothing was really ringing true until I read Chris Murphy's review of the GT2 RS in the Sept 2010 issue of EVO.
So let me get this, you own a 2011 GT3 RS, a 2011 Turbo S, a 2009 F430 Scuderia and now you post here that you are feeling guilty because you will buy a GT2RS and the Italia.
What can I say I am sorry for you feeling this way, I know it must be difficult to wake up in the morning with that load in your shoulders. Wish I could help you.

John
Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

order an extinguisher with that 458....

great stable!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
So let me get this, you own a 2011 GT3 RS, a 2011 Turbo S, a 2009 F430 Scuderia and now you post here that you are feeling guilty because you will buy a GT2RS and the Italia.
What can I say I am sorry for you feeling this way, I know it must be difficult to wake up in the morning with that load in your shoulders. Wish I could help you.

John
Exactly, someone needs to help me. or I need to delete my signature. LOL. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my post. More of an attempt at comedy.

As far as my success in life I won't apologize for that. I've worked, hard, worked smart and also caught some breaks. So it is what it is.

We all have our limits. The 458 and Gt2RS took it to the next level from a price standpoint. The SCUD was pre owned, a comparative bargain.

Last edited by BBTurbo; 09-05-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:49 PM
A430v
Racer

BBTurbo - was this the July issue of Evo?... Or some other mag...

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

charlie murphy!

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by A430v
BBTurbo - was this the July issue of Evo?... Or some other mag...

Thanks!
Sept 2010 Issue of EVO
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as my success in life I won't apologize for that. I've worked, hard, worked smart and also caught some breaks. So it is what it is.

We all have our limits. The 458 and Gt2RS took it to the next level from a price standpoint.
I appreciate your humor and share your situation and outlook. There are some folks on the forum who choose not to publicize but are in the "same boat" as well. My garage has all it could possible need and I am stopping here...lol. It does seem like lunacy to spend a chunk of bucks on boy's toys. At least I can say I drive the living hell out of all my toys. Not going to soak up all the depreciation just to pass a 500 mile car to the next guy in 2 years. THAT is really stupid!

Now to the track Sir! And insure that your line is exquisite
Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, someone needs to help me. or I need to delete my signature. LOL. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my post. More of an attempt at comedy.

We all have our limits. The 458 and Gt2RS took it to the next level from a price standpoint. The SCUD was pre owned, a comparative bargain.
A disease called affluensia = feeling guilty for your sacrifice and success.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 764 Posts

So I've been searching for justification for my irresponsible car purchase decisions. I've tried, "You can't take it with you." "You're only 49, you have plenty of time to get the money back in the bank." "The economy sucks, investments won't earn anything anyways."
Great post, I read the articles and see video's from Chris Harris. Look at the first few seconds of the video when he drove the GT3RS...... I feel like I have such a lamp and I rubbed it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVHJFNI7aXI

Coming from someone who's current cars cost more then the CURRENT house I lives in (Ok, bought a while ago.) let me add one more reason; You could die at any time, or even juat get too sick.
People around me have died way too young. You could work harder and save more money, but you do need to live before you die.

Obsessed as I am with cars, it actually takes me away from working and saving, I think a healthy break!
I have never had any affluensia :-)
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 AM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Thanks guys. All great comments. Since there is no known cure for what I have, I'll just continue on my quest for the Holy Grail of Sportscars. Not sure how to define it, but I'll know it when I drive it.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You could die at any time, or even juat get too sick.
People around me have died way too young. You could work harder and save more money, but you do need to live before you die.

Obsessed as I am with cars, it actually takes me away from working and saving, I think a healthy break!
I have never had any affluensia :-)
going to print this out at 200 point font and stick it to my wife's office.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Chris Harris is so over rated IMO. He says practically the same thing for every review. The word "journalist" should not be used for an automotive reporter. His review in Excellence was the same article as in Evo. I should have just bought the Excellence mag, and not wastes my money on Evo. I think you guys love him just because he loves Porsches, and don't like Jeremy Clarkson because he loves Ferraris. I'm getting tired of this Chris Harris worship on this forum.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Chris Harris also has encyclopedic knowledge of Porsches and happens to be an excellent driver so I take his description of dynamics differently that a regular journalist. I'm not a sycophant but I rate him very highly.

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Review - Chris Harris is a literary Genius!!