Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 TT Needs A Friend . . . 997.2 GT3 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM
DaBrat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 TT Needs A Friend . . . 997.2 GT3 RS?

First post, so a big hello to everyone!

I just took delivery of my 997.2 TT (Manual Transmission) recently (my first Porsche - finally!!! - after dreaming about one for many many years) and love it! It's my weekend car and very occasional daily driver. One of my reasons for the TT are the back seats which come in handy for the kids. Another is the more comfortable ride for the wife. However, I am very tempted by the 997.2 GT3 RS. If I do get one, it will be in addition to the TT and again used as a weekend - but this time, me only - car. It will not be tracked.

Anyone else have both a 997.2 TT and 997.2 GT3 RS? Are they different enough to justify having both for weekend non-track drives?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the two cars are more alike than not.

I have a better option for you. Get a Ferrari for your weekend crusing and the RS for your track toy. Or, just trade in the TT for the Ferrari and get a GT3 for the track (but somehow I doubt that 30K will mean much to you).

If I were to do this, then I would get all the frivilous options that one would get on the Ferrari and strip the RS.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:33 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i'm trying very hard to convince my wife she needs a Turbo for her daily driver so i can have access to one. The new PDK cars are fantastic! would love to have the rear jump seats for my little ones. can't take the RS on a trip to legoland unfortunately. I think they are different enough to enjoy both but you MUST take the RS to the track. hell you should take the Turbo also just to see the differences.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 AM
malf
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2010 GT3RS and a 2004 TT with a Tiptronic. Clearly not the same as a new TT. The TT is much more refined and can be the daily driver. They are very different cars. I don't think you would enjoy the RS as a daily driver.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Hold off a few years until kids get bigger then swap the TT for 2-door Panamera - will have more rear seat room than TT and look better than current 4-door - and buy used fully-sorted track-modded RS.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 PM
DaBrat
Intermediate

Thank you for your advice, but unfortunately, can't go Ferrari unless I go for the Scag since I need the 2 rear seats for the kids. Then it becomes a budget issue.

The TT is staying. Love it and will not part with potentially the last manual TT. And at least not selling it after 2 months. Also, it's perfect as my family sports car, so I can do drives with the wife and kids while having 500 horses at my disposal whenever I "need" them. I do have other sedans and 7 seaters for more practical uses.

As for track. We can't drive to our track here. Cars have to be stored at the track so track car would mean track only car. But yes, tracking a Porsche is in the future plan.

Finally, to throw in another option: Getting a 997.1 GT3 RS and save some $$$. Worth getting the .2?

Last edited by DaBrat; 08-25-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by DaBrat
Thank you for your advice, but unfortunately, can't go Ferrari unless I go for the Scag since I need the 2 rear seats for the kids. Then it becomes a budget issue.

The TT is staying. Love it and will not part with potentially the last manual TT. And at least not selling it after 2 months. Also, it's perfect as my family sports car, so I can do drives with the wife and kids while having 500 horses at my disposal whenever I "need" them. I do have other sedans and 7 seaters for more practical uses.

As for track. We can't drive to our track here. Cars have to be stored at the track so track car would mean track only car. But yes, tracking a Porsche is in the future plan.

Finally, to throw in another option: Getting a 997.1 GT3 RS and save some $$$. Worth getting the .2?
Get the .2 ... whats an extra $50k?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

They are indeed two differnt cars....the TT is an awesome road machine and good track car.
The II RS is the ultimate street legal track car.....
I would not hesitate at all if you have enough dough .....they are cheap compared to F cars.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

If you have a TT and aren't going to track the RS then it would be a complete waste of money IMHO. You will never extract the difference between the TT and RS in a street environment (unless you intend to get arrested). And as for the RS, the reality is that it's too fast for the street and too soft for the track in stock form. All you need to do is look at what the dedicated track junkies do to their RS to figure this out. It's also why past and current RS owners keep asking Porsche to make the RS more hardcore.

That's not to say it's not a great street car and the best dual-purpose car currently offered.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM
DaBrat
Intermediate

I know I can't use a tenth of the capabilities of either car, but man do I love the way they both look!!! I see you both have the 997.2 GT3 RS. So jealous!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Go with what you're comfortable with. I get the feeling that the RS appeals to you because of the "flash" factor more so than its driving dynamics. If so aren't you better off giving your TT a nice decals package (and probably colored accents)?

The RS is a very occasional street car (even by a long stretch of imagination) and you really won't get to appreciate half of it until you take it to the track.

That said, this is a high-class problem and one in the toys department, no less. Methinks you'd get a bigger smile spending that incremental dollar on another marque.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:35 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 11 Posts

First post, so a big hello to everyone!

I just took delivery of my 997.2 TT (Manual Transmission) recently (my first Porsche - finally!!! - after dreaming about one for many many years) and love it! It's my weekend car and very occasional daily driver. One of my reasons for the TT are the back seats which come in handy for the kids. Another is the more comfortable ride for the wife. However, I am very tempted by the 997.2 GT3 RS. If I do get one, it will be in addition to the TT and again used as a weekend - but this time, me only - car. It will not be tracked.

Anyone else have both a 997.2 TT and 997.2 GT3 RS? Are they different enough to justify having both for weekend non-track drives?

Thanks!
If you are not taking the car to the track I am not too sure that it will be a better car than your 997TT.... you wont be able to appreciate the differences on the road and may grow tired of the RS....
Old 08-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 11 Posts

I will be crucified for saying this, but the 997.1 GT3 RS is worth every penny and the savings over buying a .2 will allow you to modify the 997.1 RS to exceed the performance of the .2 should you choose to do so.

Alternatively, (and to me the best alternative)- the money can be spent on pro driver training and proper data logging equipment and I can tell you at that point the RS.1 will be every bit as fast if not faster than many .2 RS out on the track today.... and you will still have plenty of change left....
Old 08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
DaBrat
Intermediate

Thank you all again. Totally agree that if I get the GT3 RS, I'll have 2 very similar cars (if used on the road), especially since my TT's a manual. Plus, I really like my TT's big butt!!! I guess I'll hold off on the GT3 RS for now and enjoy my TT exclusively.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Turbo S???

Quick Reply: 997.2 TT Needs A Friend . . . 997.2 GT3 RS?