Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

WTB: TRAILEX TRAILER eastern or north western USA area..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default WTB: TRAILEX TRAILER eastern or north western USA area..

im looking to take the plunge and have a trailer to move my RS around north america sniffing around tracks.

anybody know of a good used open trailex to accommodate my 997RS? preferably eastern USA?

Last edited by tcsracing1; 08-24-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

We are the only Canadian Trailex auto trailer dealer. Pretty much every one we sell goes under a Porsche.

We have a couple CT-7541s in stock now but really you should have a CT-8045, which I can order. Delivery would be 3 or 4 weeks at this time of year.

We are a registered importer with Transport Canada for Trailex so we are exempt from the RIV process, a process you will have to go through if you buy a unit in the US.

http://www.primotrailersales.com/ottrailex.php
Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Came across this one a while ago. It's a 7541 so not the wider one that might be better for the RS.

http://www.pcaucr.org/index.php/clas...d=9445&catid=2
Old 08-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

A 7541 will work but it's very, very snug width wise:

Additionally, not only is the trailer 5" wider, the ramps on a 7541 are 7' long vs. 11' on an 8045 lowering the angle of approach when loading. The front splitter on an RS is very low so this has to be taken into consideration. You will likely still have to put a couple of 2x10s about 2' long down to drive on to raise the nose of the car so that it will clear the front splitter, even with the longer ramps and jacking up the front of the trailer.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
A 7541 will work but it's very, very snug width wise:

Additionally, not only is the trailer 5" wider, the ramps on a 7541 are 7' long vs. 11' on an 8045 lowering the angle of approach when loading. The front splitter on an RS is very low so this has to be taken into consideration. You will likely still have to put a couple of 2x10s about 2' long down to drive on to raise the nose of the car so that it will clear the front splitter, even with the longer ramps and jacking up the front of the trailer.
That's my old car (Carl snapped that picture right after I bought the trailer). As you can see, it fits ok on a 7541. I now have an '10 RS and it barely fits with its wider track! I have 1/4" clearance on each side. Luckily I have the electric winch, so instead of driving it up, I have to winch it up each time. 7' ramps work ok for RS, just need 2' block of wood at end of each to reduce angle) Go with the 8045

See clearance pics here: https://rennlist.com/forums/7419006-post45.html
Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by rmag
That's my old car (Carl snapped that picture right after I bought the trailer). As you can see, it fits ok on a 7541. I now have an '10 RS and it barely fits with its wider track! I have 1/4" clearance on each side. Luckily I have the electric winch, so instead of driving it up, I have to winch it up each time. 7' ramps work ok for RS, just need 2' block of wood at end of each to reduce angle) Go with the 8045

See clearance pics here: https://rennlist.com/forums/7419006-post45.html
I thought the car looked familiar. I figured it'd be a Rennlister.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:55 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do it right... get a new one and get exactlyt what you want.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
do it right... get a new one and get exactlyt what you want.
+1

...and don't even consider the 7541 because the tight fit will really **** you off. Life is too short to be pissed off.

Chris (Crazy Canuck) is in Ottawa so you can swing by there on your way back to Whistler.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
+1

...and don't even consider the 7541 because the tight fit will really **** you off. Life is too short to be pissed off.

Chris (Crazy Canuck) is in Ottawa so you can swing by there on your way back to Whistler.
Chris is the man... he was my personal trailer advisor and offered tons of good advice even though I was likely not going to purchase from him due to distance etc...

Initially I was talking enclosed and his advice was sound -- get a new one, get exactly what you want, and take care of it.

I would suspect that open alum trailers (trailex, featherlite, etc) hold their value pretty well... so unless you trip over exactly what you want used... I would be guessing that for not much more in the big picture, you could get a new one.

with all of the toys in your signature, you may want to consider enclosed

good luck -- the right trailer makes the track days much more enjoyable IMHO
Old 08-24-2010, 07:55 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I have an 8045. The 11 ft ramps are a must. I have the wheel rack, spare tire, front screens to protect the car from road rash and the tool box. Nothing short of an outstanding trailer that tows like a dream.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I have an 8045. The 11 ft ramps are a must. I have the wheel rack, spare tire, front screens to protect the car from road rash and the tool box. Nothing short of an outstanding trailer that tows like a dream.
Do the front screens offer good protection? I agree- one of the best open trailers out there.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Do the front screens offer good protection? I agree- one of the best open trailers out there.
Have not done any distance since I put them on but taking the SC to Keystone for the '09 Parade where it picked up dirt etc the screens will protect and I like the fact that you can unzip them to easily tie down the front end of the race car. Call Carl at Trailex and he can help you configure what you want. My dream is to get their sprots car low boy enclosed alum trailer but I can't justify the cost nor is my tow vehicle capable, realistically, to tow an enclosed. The 8045 is a great trailer. I did get the winch bracket but have yet to install a winch, which is a good thing to have should you not be able to drive your car on for any reason. I'm also going to make a tie down bracket to allow me to strap an alum floor jack on the trailer forward of the front tie downs. I have the spare tire mounted on one side and the tool box on the other. If you get the tire rack make sure and get their retaining clips to secure the spare wheels and tires. I tried rope the first time and that was not good as they kept slipping. Bottom line you can't beat the trailex quality, lightweight longer ramps and ease of adding extras later yourself. Last comment. To show how balanced the trailers are I towed mine home to Texas in Feb several years ago from the factory in blowing snow behind a small SUV with a meager 6 cyl engine at 70 plus and empty the trailer towed like a dream. Long answer to a short question....and no I don't work for Trailex
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Chris is the man... he was my personal trailer advisor and offered tons of good advice even though I was likely not going to purchase from him due to distance etc...

Initially I was talking enclosed and his advice was sound -- get a new one, get exactly what you want, and take care of it.

I would suspect that open alum trailers (trailex, featherlite, etc) hold their value pretty well... so unless you trip over exactly what you want used... I would be guessing that for not much more in the big picture, you could get a new one.

with all of the toys in your signature, you may want to consider enclosed

good luck -- the right trailer makes the track days much more enjoyable IMHO
It was my pleasure PJ.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:48 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

^ that's what I am talking about...
class

thanks chris
Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow! thanks guys.

The used market has had alot of 7541's and little to no 8045's.
I definately want the 8045 open. (i recently sold my 21ft enclosed as it was a haulmark pig).

I may have to give Chris a call for a new 8045 depending on my schedule after targa NL as i will be transporting both my RS and my truck to Whistler from Eastern Canada. A new trailer would be perfect for this logistic issue and would allow me to tag along with the B.C local boys next year for track events in the USA!

(i currently have a pickup truck bought in florida and i also have a Mini bought in Seattle hence my wishfull call out for a used trailer on either coast)

Chris,

How long to order a new trailex?

Quick Reply: WTB: TRAILEX TRAILER eastern or north western USA area..