Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3RS Rebirth

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 GT3RS Rebirth

Ok, Insurance process is behind me and car is under repair as this is written.

WSIB was excellent to work with on the track insurance and I can recommend them without reservation. Sorry to my fellow RS owners for making rates go up

The car is going back together fully detailed for track duty with performance upgrades and a touch of bling:

1. Forged Alloys USA Wheels. F 18lbs, R 22.5lbs. TUV approved.
2. Pirelli Trofeo tires.
3. Red anodized centerlocks.
4. Guard LSD internals, bellevilles, friction discs, plates and ramps.
5. Tarett blade sways F/R, monoball shock mounts, monoball ends, rear upper control arm links, rear toe control arms, toe locking plate kit.
6. Akrapovic Evolution full titanium system (with link pipes for optional Cup set-up if desired). 37-56lb weight savings.
7. Time-Serts for rear brake caliper bolts.

Some folks in the aftermarket deserve to be highlighted for excellent quality products and/or service above and beyond the call of duty-

Ira Ramin at Tarett (Iraramin@tarett.com)
Mike Burroughs at Forged Alloys USA (mike@forgedalloysusa.com)
Matt Monson at Guard Transmission (gtgears@yahoo.com)
Guy Gamba at BigO Tires (performance@bigo.com)(Trofeos)

Thanks to two forum friends M and P for help with the Akrapovic and to Mooty, CarerraGT and CScrogham for behind the scenes comment and suggestion. Smart, experienced, honest guys who were generous with their time

I am fortunate to have a Porsche dealer with a superb, enthusiastic service department. The techs there- Mike, Eric and Lead Tech Jess Lattin, and Service Manager Dolf Van Kesteren are AWESOME.

Pics as the car comes together over the next week.

In the desire to make the rebuild go as smoothly as possible I chose not to act on some interesting ideas such as Euro bumper, CUP bumper, etc.

Going to have to relearn how to drive it again...lol
Attached Images            
Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

How much did those wheels set you back? they are beautiful
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Awesome.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto on the wheels, gorgeous! Price please...
Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by OldGuy
How much did those wheels set you back? they are beautiful
They are unique! The milled out areas are part of a Race Lightening option offered by the manufacturer. Each set is custom made to individual spec and Mike Burroughs at Forged Alloys USA (mike@forgedalloysusa.com) will help you with details and pricing. They are surprisingly affordable and a compelling value.

Very strong and perfectly suitable for track use if so desired.

Being a custom wheel, there is a significant wait period before delivery. My advice, order them and forget about it and be surprised when they show up

Here is the 5 lug version on my Spyder, first one shot by our own ADias! Second photo by RPMGear
Attached Images     

Last edited by savyboy; 08-03-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

those wheels are bananas!! glad to hear your car will be back in top shape. nice to have a spyder to play with in the meantime....

cheers
Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Wow, the fasted '10 RS around??

NICE!

I think I know the answer but how many track miles did you have on your OEM diff and was it confirmed to be shot? I have 3K miles and i know I am going to need it sooner or later....
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

did you bribe ira? he told me bladed bars are still under development.....

you should just remove the side and rear ctr mufflers.... ;-) if you are LOUD enough, you can take out the sound meter at LS. my new exhaust is 200db. after i kill the sound station, you and cgt will be safe. i might be deaf by then.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 PM
cscrogham
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Looking forward to seeing you back on track!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

How about Ball parking the wheels? I want to know if I am going to spend $1500
or $8000
Please?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hardback
those wheels are bananas!! glad to hear your car will be back in top shape. nice to have a spyder to play with in the meantime....

cheers
Yes, I am fortunate and appreciative to have had the Spyder available for backup track duty. I am going to have a whole other thread in 987 forum in a few weeks on tuning the suspension on that rascal. Been a hell of a challenge. It has been a great track toy.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Wow, the fasted '10 RS around??

NICE!

I think I know the answer but how many track miles did you have on your OEM diff and was it confirmed to be shot? I have 3K miles and i know I am going to need it sooner or later....
Yeah, well, the car will certainly be capable of being fast, the driver will need some modification to the ole' molecular wetware in order to extract the cars performance!

The OE diff is crap. PCNA is in denial on this issue. My diff was loose as a goose and the clutch pack was doing nothing. Maybe 2000 track miles? You are lucky if the thing locks up even when new. Just do the Guard internals and get it over with. It is actually an easy mod for any tech with basic ability and a lift. Contact Matt ASAP.

Originally Posted by mooty
did you bribe ira? he told me bladed bars are still under development.....

you should just remove the side and rear ctr mufflers.... ;-) if you are LOUD enough, you can take out the sound meter at LS. my new exhaust is 200db. after i kill the sound station, you and cgt will be safe. i might be deaf by then.
Haha- I am somewhat playing R&D here and he warned me as much. But some well known race teams have already done 95% of the legwork, I may just have some gentle teething pains. I really wanted cockpit adjustable but not ready yet.

Blowing out the sound meter...that is hilarious! I think the straight pipes would do it but Mikymu can tell us for sure Looking forward to seeing your new hotrod in person. Will bring my Hearos to save my hearing!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Congrats on your Gen 2.5 RS! Love to hear your impressions of how the handling improves after these changes...

Is the Tarrett monoball LCA end the same length as the stock part (i.e. does it add more track width?)
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by cscrogham
Looking forward to seeing you back on track!
Thanks Cole! Me too!

Originally Posted by OldGuy
How about Ball parking the wheels? I want to know if I am going to spend $1500
or $8000
Please?
Quality is never cheap, but way less than $8k. Please give Mike B a holler and present him your requirements. Each spec is $+/- He is good people and can give you a quick quote.

Originally Posted by CRex
Congrats on your Gen 2.5 RS! Love to hear your impressions of how the handling improves after these changes...

Is the Tarrett monoball LCA end the same length as the stock part (i.e. does it add more track width?)
Thanks! I will post my impressions after the install. But I hardly remember how it felt before so maybe CarerraGT will let me borrow his car to do laps and refresh my memory

Because I drive the car to/from track, I do not want to destroy my ride and/or listen every second to the clickity clack of the suspension working. The look of quality on the Tarret pieces is insane. Very expensive and looks to be worth every penny.

Sorry, I do not know the answer to the monoball length, but I should, shouldn't I ? Because track width is a beautiful thing. Give Ira a call and see what he says?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex

i have them on my car as well.
it doesn't increase track.
the front is same as RS (street car) except savy will get monoball on the split end and the thrust arm bearing.

the rear is also same as RS. however on GT3, the rear arm is one piece. you can change to RS or tarret piece where you can shim. but usually u have enough rear camber anyways.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats, looks like the RS will be ready to fly. Will the RS be ready for Laguna Seca later this month?

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3RS Rebirth