Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3RS Rebirth

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
bumperpip
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW Savy, you are my hero. You've got a very large cheering section out there. You have more than earned it. Quite a gentleman.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Pete, I have not commented much on the project, but hats off to you with my compliments!!

I hope to make it to the West coast some time soon to meet some of you!

If not there is always the www.48hoursatsebring.com and you West coast boys could ship a bunch of cars over to come visit us!! Track support and all that can be arranged. I have storage space for a few GT3's..
Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by bumperpip
Nizer- Beg to differ. FVDBrombacher's full-Ti M&M system offers header to tailpipe, with same(or better) performance benefit, side muffler choice, sound, quality, 57 lb. weight saving, AND choice of Ti or SS. Both Akra and FVD are the very top of the GT3 exhaust food chain. At their (very high) price points, they each deserve/need ECU flash. In for a penny...
I'm aware of the FVD/M&M system.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,185 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Savy, lovely to see things coming along. First drive will be better than the day you drove it off the showroom.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:32 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bumperpip
BTW Savy, you are my hero. You've got a very large cheering section out there. You have more than earned it. Quite a gentleman.
Lol, you are very kind and I thank you for your comments Surely others like me out there, just not with the pathalogical drive to publicly document everything.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Pete, I have not commented much on the project, but hats off to you with my compliments!!

I hope to make it to the West coast some time soon to meet some of you!

If not there is always the www.48hoursatsebring.com and you West coast boys could ship a bunch of cars over to come visit us!! Track support and all that can be arranged. I have storage space for a few GT3's..
Thanks Peter! Yeah, it would be awesome to do an East/West get together somehow. My guess is it would be like herding cats to get groups together. I met the Canadian Contingent today at Laguna Seca, a very nice bunch of fellows and very capable on the track. Their shop has a huge transporter to carry the track cars and they come down and play on west coast tracks.

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Savy, lovely to see things coming along. First drive will be better than the day you drove it off the showroom.
Thanks! It was a real thrill to get back in the seat, you are right!

Wife and I finally got out of Reno at 4 PM and arrived in Laguna Seca at 10:30 PM last night. I was exhausted.

After four sessions today, I am stunned frankly that it is running and handling very well. A bit more understeer than I would prefer, but that was the safe way to set it up. I'd like to tighten the rear bar one hole tomorrow. Obviously I am gradually feeling it out and working slowly to find the new limits, but it is very well planted and the steering is very light and full of feedback thanks to the weight savings of the wheels and spherical rod ends and monoballs.

Oh yeah- Especially solid under braking, no dance at all- Guard LSD and the Tarett pieces are to thank for that. Matt Monson at Guard will cure your POS GT3 OE LSD too.

I do have something clicking under brake application/release, especially noticible with handbrake on/off at 5-10 mph, and after a lot of digging think it is the new rear shock top plates bushings that have too loose tolerances.

The new exhaust incorporates the OE flaps and is a real Jeckly/Hyde. Idle is very tame in normal mode, and sounds good but quiet. Hit Sport and it transforms from idle to redline into a monster. First time I wound it out was hair raising. It saves weight, is quiet when you are in your neighborhood, and with a push of the sport button roars and shrieks like a banshee. I am thrilled with it.

Suprisingly the new suspension pieces are quite street friendly and the ride remains fine.

Several bits/pieces still need work/repair/correcting but nothing that compromises safety or track performance. Should have pics up tomorrow.

Full disclosure, I am 3 seconds off my Spyder best time

Got to troubleshoot why I don't have sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ms2Lz1BJCs

Last edited by savyboy; 09-01-2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: fix speeling! lol
Old 08-21-2010, 12:57 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Has been interesting to follow along.
Out of adversity comes opportunity
Old 08-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Went to Laguna Seca today

Got a chance to meet Savyboy and Carrera GT at Laguna Seca today where both were driving their respective '10 RS's. Met Pogue too, who was just a spectator like me. It was a Porsche Owners Club event (I was once a member when I lived in Marina del Rey in 1985), a long established group from the LA area that is almost as old as PCA itself and has a more hard-core track orientation. Yet I couldn't believe all the expensive trailers, transporters and dedicated race cars which dominated the pit landscape. A big difference from when I was active with them in the old Riverside race track (now a housing development) and Willow near Palmdale, where most of us drove to & from the track with our daily driver Porsches (356, 914 & 911). In any case, Savyboy and Carrera GT were great company and also acquitted themselves very well on the track. They got one more day to go tomorrow. z356 (Carmel)
Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, I resent that!

I was was not merely a spectator, I was Technical advisor to Savyboy and Carrera GT. I wasn't telling them what to do (since they are both way faster than me) I was telling them what not do..and consulting on their color schemes.

Fun meeting you today!

The Porsche Autocross 1 hour private sessions were very educational and a lot of work...even if you think you are good.

For those of you there try them tomorrow, they are worth your time/money and you can try and match a pro!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Advisor Pogue, I stand corrected regarding your consulting job. By the way, as Pogue mentioned, PCNA and the Bay Area Porsche dealers are sponsoring a test drive autocross event in a parking lot near the pit area at the Laguna Seca track this weekend. Anyone can sign up for a short test run of a variety of new Porsche cars they have there to flog at the event. On Friday I drove a 911 cab, a Cayman, a Boxster S, the new redesigned '11 Cayenne Turbo and the new '11 Panamera v6. Around four or so instructors from the Porsche Sport Driving School at the new Barber Motorsport Track in Alabama are on hand to keep you company on the rides and are also available for individual one-on-one lessons at an extra charge. That is the service that Pogue took advantage of. I met there Cass Whitehead, one of the lead instructors at the Porsche Sport Driving School and a Georgia native. He is an IMSA and a Rolex 24 veteran, having had a successful career in the sport and now at PSDS. If any forum member is anywhere near Laguna tomorrow (Sunday), this will be you last day to participate. So come on over, test drive a Porsche, see the POC event at Laguna and even get a few hot laps on the track from POC members for a minimal amount ($20 and it goes to charity). z356
Old 08-23-2010, 02:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
Got a chance to meet Savyboy and Carrera GT at Laguna Seca today where both were driving their respective '10 RS's. Met Pogue too, who was just a spectator like me.
Ed, great to meet you and chat for a bit! Sounds like you really enjoyed your day there at LS.

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Hey, I resent that!

I was was not merely a spectator, I was Technical advisor to Savyboy and Carrera GT. I wasn't telling them what to do (since they are both way faster than me) I was telling them what not do..and consulting on their color schemes.

Fun meeting you today!

The Porsche Autocross 1 hour private sessions were very educational and a lot of work...even if you think you are good.

For those of you there try them tomorrow, they are worth your time/money and you can try and match a pro!
Lol!

Colm- great to see you again, sorry we did not have more time to chat I am sure you enjoyed your PSDS instruction, those guys are so good.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Resting peacefully at home. Finally. Wheel shots. Blue butt. Painted lips. Still missing the L/R side front wheel well moldings, coming from the Motherland. $360, each!
Attached Images       
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 976 Posts

Great shots Savy. Diggin' the color of that exhaust. Good see all the issues are behind you.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:20 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW, the wheels are incredible an your car color..outta this wrold. Very nice!!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Pete,

Nice thread! Loved reading the "resurrection" story. Can't wait to see the car in person. BTW, nice wheels

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3RS Rebirth