Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3RS Rebirth

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your idea of a bumper wrap consist of putting a bumper over another one?? You sure don't mess around...... Looking good Pete.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Savvy - Looks good. Question: Why aren't you running hoosiers over pirelli? Changing to them is probably the best mod you could do.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CWay27
So your idea of a bumper wrap consist of putting a bumper over another one?? You sure don't mess around...... Looking good Pete.
Lol, thanks CWay! I can't wait to get back in the saddle.

Originally Posted by rmag
Savvy - Looks good. Question: Why aren't you running hoosiers over pirelli? Changing to them is probably the best mod you could do.
Rmag- good question, personal answer

1. As I understand it, I would get less track time out of a given set of HoHo's vs MPSC/System/Trofeo. Someone correct me but that is how I understand it. The Hoho's wear out faster.

2. As a driver that is still in a steep learning curve, the "reduced" grip and more forgiveness of a street tire is helpful as I explore the limits. More safety margin if you will. Less of an on/off quality at the limits.

3. Remember, I drive to/from the track, I must have tires that in an emergency can handle less than perfect road conditions. Again, correct me if wrong, but the HoHo's will have less margin for safety in less than optimal conditions (rain/snow/sleet!)? Most tracks I go to, I have to cross the Sierra Nevadas through a mountain pass at high altitude.

Having had my bell rung with my crash, I am particularly sensitive to maintaining a margin of safety and until I get into a situation where I am paid to play it is prudent to maintain wider margins.

The suspension and exhaust mods amplify and sensitize the driving dynamics without compromising overall streeability or lessening foul weather performance.

That was a long winded answer to your simple question wasn't it? Haha

Last edited by savyboy; 08-18-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
dont worry, i will be driving w/ savy this weekend.
i will work on him
he needs hoosiers and trailer, LOL
Old 08-19-2010, 02:44 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pete

can wait to see the blue beat this weekend!!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Pete: Looking good. That exhaust is total bling. Too bad you can't just leave the rear bumper off...
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "secret" switch... (control of exhaust flap solenoid). Also wired the Race-Keeper system to be more integrated, wires under carpet, microphone under center console with mic poking out under shift trim ring.

More progress and still down to the wire. Corner balance and alignment this morning. Camber -2.2 front, -1.7 rear (street tires). The shake-down drive will be 5 .5 hours to Laguna
Attached Images     
Old 08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For exhaust switch, it should have three positions -- closed, open and "normal." Where "normal" sends the circuit through the factory controller so that the exhaust opens and closes at 4500 per normal (giving better torque below 4500.) Maybe a bit late.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The shake-down drive will be 5 .5 hours to Laguna
I'll be at FJ's getting tires on mine this afternoon. Take a pit stop at Sharkwerks and they can eyeball the car to see what's falling off. : )
Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OMG Pete! It's almost there. Couple more pieces then it's all done. Wife and I will likely be at Monterey this weekend - will swing by LS and say hi to you all if we are near by. Great work and love the fact you kept your old lady even though she got beat up a bit

One more thing. Wipe down your Akrapovic real well with WD40 before fire up to minimize finger prints

Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 PM
cay187
Advanced

would most of you get the Akrapovic if money wasn't an option? is it that good as far as performance?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't talk of performance first hand but reputation is tops... so that probably also means perf.
I would, no question, but like you said $$$$
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

^
quality is top
finish is top
brand is top
dollars are top
materials are top
performance is similar to other exhausts that cost less and (sometimes) weight more.

There is no voodoo magic secrets in creating an exhaust system these days, if simple well known rules are followed anybody with the right skills, equipment and materials can make a good exhaust that will outperform the factory one.
Biggest advantage of the tuners that allows them to do just that is that they "bend" the current sound / emmision / cost vs. benefit rules that car manufactures don't. Some bend them a little others a lot.
The difference of the final product depends on the variations in the above points.

John
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by cay187
would most of you get the Akrapovic if money wasn't an option? is it that good as far as performance?
No other choice out there that is full system (headers to tailpipes), in Ti, and allows you to keep side mufflers with functional sport button. Add to that reputation, quality, weight savings, HP gains - done.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM
bumperpip
Track Day

Nizer- Beg to differ. FVDBrombacher's full-Ti M&M system offers header to tailpipe, with same(or better) performance benefit, side muffler choice, sound, quality, 57 lb. weight saving, AND choice of Ti or SS. Both Akra and FVD are the very top of the GT3 exhaust food chain. At their (very high) price points, they each deserve/need ECU flash. In for a penny...

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3RS Rebirth