Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,812 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksojf
Mooty,

I've seen a few TPDs; mostly west of the Mississippi river.

You left-coasters have access to all the cool stuff! Not sure there's a dealer here in fly-over country that represents TPD.

I'll trade you towing instruction for a few hot laps in your latest Pcar...cheap too, just airfare and housing!

j
i looked into everything from open to enclose.
if open, then there are only TWO options: trailex or featherlight.
if enclosed and you have wt issues, featherlight, ATC, trailex, though enclose trailex is too short and you can't straighten up. i already have a lower back of a 190 year old, so best not exacerbate it.
if you have big tow rig, imo, TPD is the best and it is truly configurable to your hearts content. if you think porsche option list is long.... HA!

but TPD has some steel parts that wont do well in snow country.

i dont need trailer instructions. i ENJOY threaten and scare other drivers. i am KING of the road.

i shouldn't say this, but ....

my first trip towing
1. blew a tire. good thing i have a trailer spare.
2. i didn't know that trailer is almost as wide as the bridge tow booth. my passenger who tows a lot was scared ****less when i passed the toll booth with 2" on his side at 40mph.
3. i parked somewhere to have dinner. when i was leaving, forgot my extended mirror was extended, almost took out a light pole.
4. i had a passenger, my clueless 5 year old daughter. so obviously i can CARPOOL. so i was in the carpool lane. then after i got home, my bud told me trailers can only drive on the two right most lane....

man.... if you see me on the road, PLEASE stay away. i am dangerous.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Terry L
In this part of the world the Trailex 7541 is the Porsche trailer of choice. 75" wide and 4100 lb capacity. Get the tire rack and spare tire. Less than 1000 lbs.
very nice. almost bought it.
you should also get winch, tool box and the front shield. those alum wheels are nice too. my added up to 9000 inc CA tax. aint cheap. but htey hold value EXTREMELY well.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Terry L and Canuck,

I'm very aware of Trailex, kinda used to 80" width though. They seem to be really proud of them based on price tho. Easy to move around by yourself eh?

All,

GREAT trailer advice, but we're getting side-tracked here; the thread's supposed to be helping me with tips/ideas on driving the GT3 to and from the track for DEs WITHOUT the tow rig stuff!

j
roof rack is tough. you will break your back. maybe not today, but you will.
not kosher, but if you must, tire trailer behind GT3 is better than over the roof. someone has a trick system on this site. he has a silver 996gt3 towing a trailer.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
hold off from towing until really need the benefit of a tow........

once you begin towing, eventually the car becomes more "stripped" and soon not even street able anymore....

then comes the cup car senario.... to cup or not to cup... that is the question...
story of my life.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mooty,

Agreed on open, I prefer Featherlite.

Haven't towed farther west than Dallas/Ft Worth, so I'm probably safe unless you decide to come a couple days worth of East. Fair warning would be appreciated should that occur.

j
Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Run what you brung......

I started out at the track two years ago with my new Cayman S. The idea that I was driving the same car on the track that I drove everyday had great appeal to me. As I developed a small amount of skill, I began to set up elements of the car specifically for track days. The most critical of these elements were GT3 seats and a 6 point harness - you really need a stable place from which to drive the car. The next biggest deal was tires. Whether you are talking dry versus rain, or just getting a nail in your tire on the way to the track, you can have your whole weekend go down the tubes in an instant. You need to have an extra set of wheels, or you are risking the whole weekend. I went to a wheel set mounted on the roof:

In this picture I am kitted out for a weekend. I am driving on ADVAN AD08's (my "rain tires"), with a set of Hoosiers on the roof. I have a donut spare in the front for flats going to/from the track. I have a full set of tools, pop up awning, chairs, drinks, luggage, etc. in the rest of the car. This worked well for me for many track weekends. The biggest issue I had was that a wheel and tire weighs about 50 pounds. Lifting them onto a car that I cared about (a car I did not want to drop a 50 pound wheel on) was hard work, especially after the last run session of the last day. After the last run session, I would sometimes trip and fall into a keg of beer (on my way to church, of course). It was then REALLY hard work to swap back to street wheels, put things on top if the car, and drive home.

At the beginning of this year, I got a deal I could not refuse on a 997.1 GT3, track prepared by Kelley-Moss. Since it was not street legal, I got a (really nice, I love it) Trailex trailer to take it to the track. I was excited about not having to put the rack on the car, load wheels, and generally bust my *** to go to and return from the track. What I have found (only three trips to the track so far), is that I am spending as much or more time preparing the trailer, loading the car, unloading it at the track, storing the trailer, paying extra at the track for trailer storage, etc., etc. - I really do not think that I am saving time. While it takes a little less strength than lifting the wheels onto the roof, dragging out the loading ramps and winching and strapping the car is about as hard as the tire lift.

SO: I am not going back to tracking the Cayman, because, I bought a GT3 and a trailer; but I am not seeing trailering as significantly less work than a roof rack and a "run what you brung" mentality.....
Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

trailering does NOT less time. maybe more.
i end up taking a lot more stuff. 30 gal of fuel, tent, chair, tool etc.
but once you are there, it's very comfy. even have BBQ with me.
if trailer is enclosed, i leave a lot of stuff in it rather than unloading it.
i have driven to track for 4 years and that also has it's benefit.
then after i lost the rear right suspension on cayman s
coolant hose on GT3
tranny on spec box
i bought two trailers and two toe vehicle ;-)
Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

Facelv,

Now that's what I'm talking about! Is that the Porsche Roof Transport System?

If so, is it just two bars across the roof that then requires a "deck" of some kind upon which to mount the wheels? More details please!

Trailering is convenient but just as much work and hassle, if not more once you factor in two more vehicles to maintain between events.

My man...

OT, was it a cargo hold of Facel Vegas that went to the bottom when the Italian luxury liner Andrea Doria was ventilated by the Stockholm back in the 60s?

j
Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
once you begin towing, eventually the car becomes more "stripped" and soon not even street able anymore....
I'm coming at it from the other way.

Fell in love with tracking and want to have the best track experience. That means bringing extra supplies. Trailer is easiest way to do this but it can be done with a car only (plus roof rack or baby tire trailer or feeding friends beer).

Due to love affair with tracking, street driving is pretty much non-existent. Can't drive my car anywhere near what I do on the track (if I did I'd go to jail) so my car sits in the garage until the next track day.

...may as well gut the thing like Mooty and Mike. Another season and I'll probably be there.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Is that the Porsche Roof Transport System?

If so, is it just two bars across the roof that then requires a "deck" of some kind upon which to mount the wheels? More details please!
It is the "Porsche Roof Transport System". The rating of this system is 120 to 160 pounds, depending on which manual you read. Hoosiers on light weight wheels are about 40 pounds each, perhaps within the limit. Heavier wheels and tires are above the rating, so you have to make your own judgement about the risk.

I used 3/4" square section aluminum tube from Home Depot as the long supports. Each were covered with pipe insulation to keep from scratching the wheels. 3/8" carraige bolts hold the tubes to the roof rack, and extend through the wheel bolt holes to hold the wheels. Vinyl tubing slips over the bolts to keep them from scratching the wheels also. I am not where I can upload pix right now, but have been meaning to put a full build plan on-line. Maybe next weekend...

Not familiar with all the history on FV's - just think that they are a great looking sport sedan (with American power). I will have to look up the Andrea Doria connection...

Already uploaded bolt picture:

Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is what I was wondering about too, the maximum weight for a roof rack. If I am not mistaken the max load (in Europe) is 75KG. I weighed my GT3 rear wheel + rim and that was 25.1kg. So I think with 4 wheels you are over that limit. Dunno if you need to include the weight of the rack itself too?

Also a 997 mk2 gt3 hasnt got any roof rack holes, so ....
Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

what is the consensus on this arrangement?

I've heard people argue for and against, but it seems like a good middle way.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

I drive to all events. Have it pretty much down to a science. Luckily I have a couple of good friends who trailer and they are cool to let me put a few cumbersome items in their trailer (example, my new 48" breaker bar and giant sized torque wrench aren't items I am going to cart around in the new RS). I have had new Cups drop shipped at the tire place near WGI when the ones on the car were near being done...seemed to work well.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

I bought an 18' aluminum Cargo Mate trailer that pulls like a dream at 75 - 80 mph with my Ford F 150 FX4. I keep the trailer at my business and bring it home for an event. With trailer hooked up I have timed it on numerous occasions and can load gear, ramps, car and tie everything down securely in just under 15 minutes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like this pic

Quick Reply: Driving to DEs vs Towing