Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Driving to DEs vs Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:59 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Trailering certainly is more of a production but it does add a lot of convenience as stated above. If one already has a decent towing vehicle and storage is not a problem, then you are only looking at the cost of the trailer, and this is not that much, relatively speaking.

Funny, I've been watching the sales on F150 pickups recently???
Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksojf
....there was always backing that big rig in, and at least unhooking, stowing the hitch, equalizer and sway contol bars, unloading the Suburban; all when I was already fatigued after a long weekend.....
- Over time you'll get better backing up the trailer so it'll only take a minute
- Unhooking takes a minute
- I just toss the equalizer bars on the deck of the trailer
- I leave the hitch on the truck all the time (keyed lock on the receiver pin)

I'm not helping, am I? I gotta be balanced. Next post will favor driving a car there.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

Allen J,

No you're not! But that's OK.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bad's not necessarily that bad; I found knowing the car had to get me home at the end of the weekend was something of a "red mist inhibitor"...forced me to work harder on learning the line and improving the little things before racheting up the speed.
Werd! This is a good thing.

Originally Posted by FFaust
Funny, I've been watching the sales on F150 pickups recently???
I went to go look at and drive a Raptor last week. Wooo-Weee. That is a hot rig.

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I'm not helping, am I? I gotta be balanced. Next post will favor driving a car there.
Lol
Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

FF,

Part of the problem is that the 03 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4x4 went on to a new owner as part of my inventory reduction sale that started back in April, and has since also included the 20' enclosed, the Boxster, and the wife's Blazer (now replaced with a '10 Equinox AWD LTZ).

I've got the garage space and agree the trailer cost is a minor expense compared to another tow vehicle, but I'd rather not fill up the garages again if I can drive to and from DEs in the 3.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:11 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Great thread. I have always driven to the track but every year I think about gettting a trailer....but never do. Just too much stuff. Last idea was a compromise lightweight alum. open trailer that would be easier to maneuver, better on mileage and yet still allow an extras set of wheels and tools. No one mentioned this choice but for someone who does not like to haul/back up/etc big trailers seems like a good choice.
Feedback?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:29 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

the compromise is a trailer that fits the 911 and is used to haul your tools, tires, cooler. this doesn't, however, get you home if you have an off "moment"

JO
Old 07-11-2010, 01:38 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riverflyer
Great thread. I have always driven to the track but every year I think about gettting a trailer....but never do. Just too much stuff. Last idea was a compromise lightweight alum. open trailer that would be easier to maneuver, better on mileage and yet still allow an extras set of wheels and tools. No one mentioned this choice but for someone who does not like to haul/back up/etc big trailers seems like a good choice.
Feedback?
jackpot
Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Watch out Savy. God knows where that could lead.
Saw a nice yellow 150 last week that would complement my SY P nicely. Now that would be the setup. Yeah, there is some poseur element but hey...
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

That will be me.

I don't have a trailer, no space at home to park it.

Only been driving to the local track, which is about one hour from home. The second closest track in Seattle is 3 hours away, and driving down is OK. The better tracks are more than 5 hours away so I haven't try them yet.

The only thing I miss is the inability to carry extra set of wheels and tires. Anything else can be fitted in the car.

Hey Allan, see you at our junk track tomorrow, I'll let you pass me twice this time.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jason952
the compromise is a trailer that fits the 911 and is used to haul your tools, tires, cooler. this doesn't, however, get you home if you have an off "moment"

JO
That is what I have been thinking about also and it does seem easy. The only issue is that, if you run slicks, you must now do the wheel swap am and pm at the track instead of spending the week prior in a loving relationship with your car getting it ready and "just right".
Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jacksojf,

You've trailered, enclosed even, so you no doubt realize the benefits.

How far is Putnam Park from you? 3 hours? Are you hitting other tracks?

These were some of my concerns driving to and fro:

1. No spares. Pick up a nail one hour into your journey and you're SOL.
2. No tire choices. Your track weekend is coming up and it might rain. Your MPSCs are hard but still have some tread. Do you buy a new set? Or, squirm all the way home on bald MPSCs in inclement weather, IF you make it that far LOL.
3. In the event of a serious mechanical failure or off...

Does Putnam have storage and garages? Find 2-3 other guys and split a spot. Keep all your wheels/tools, etc. in there and drive to and fro.

If you're looking into a roof rack and a mini GT3 trailer, well, then you probably should be looking at enclosed trailers!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

- Over time you'll get better backing up the trailer so it'll only take a minute
hahah, why dont you park next to my trailer, after i take your trailer, your car and YOU out with my trailer, let see what you say

those who has no space to park at home.... i live in a SF, CA. 3000sf little dog house coast 1.5-2M min. no way to pk here. just find a RV lot.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
jackpot
Is that wheel carrier and underneath enclosed storage from Featherlite? That is awesome!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I've got the garage space and agree the trailer cost is a minor expense compared to another tow vehicle, but I'd rather not fill up the garages again if I can drive to and from DEs in the 3.
You can drive to and from DEs in the 3. No problem. As long as you are fine with limited tire choices (and avoid nails like RJ pointed out) or bring beer for your friends to carry tires for you. There....that was some encouragement for driving to/from.

Now, the issue I'm facing right now is 70% chance of showers overnight and Monday morning. Supposed to drop to 20% in the afternoon. Tomorrow is my first day with my new driving coach so I think I'll bolt on my Yoko AD08 today in preparation for a wet track in the morning and at lunch bolt on my Nitto NT01 if it clears up. It'll be getting the most out of my driving coach and Tim will have a harder time passing me. lol!

Of course if tomorrow continues to be rainy, my truck is so big I can change into dry clothes in there and have a nice comfortable drive home.

Mooty: you're really making me want to come down to CA to watch you back up your trailer. This sounds like fun.

Steel vs aluminum trailer: easy to sort out when you decide to trailer or not. Both have storage problems and one can allow a wider range of tow vehicles. Helps to keep the wallet happy.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Driving to DEs vs Towing