Driving to DEs vs Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:25 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Get Mooty to buy a 2-car trailer. Problem solved.

...another option is to move. ok, maybe not the cheapest option. I like how I can back my trailer into my driveway (end of cul-de-sac) and go inside to drink beer. No need to unload anything that night if I don't want to.
Allan be careful approaching the cul-de -sac. I hear its not always a pleasant experience.

John
Old 07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can save a few dollars a gallon on fuel as well
Old 07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Allan be careful approaching the cul-de -sac. I hear its not always a pleasant experience.

John
Went over my head (I think).....but I will be careful.

Originally Posted by roberga
can save a few dollars a gallon on fuel as well
...or bring along some 94 octane to places where it's hard to find....
Old 07-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Trailers are the way to go.

I like taking all my junk with me. Tools, tires etc. and not having to load and unload every time I go anywhere.

(Speaking as a Trailex, Pace, ATC & Aluma dealer, amongst other things ....)
Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

It seems like the trailer or not question is simply a function of how close your tracks are, how comfortable your car is, and personal preference. There is no general answer.

I like driving to the track. It's easy for me and I don't want to buy something to tow with.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a toss-up. I did without the trailer for 8 years - 1988 Carrera - tires on the roof rack, no A/C except drive faster, essentially no audio over motor sound, etc. My Elise was better but no way to get the tires to the track except imposing on your friends (and delivering the tires to them in advance, coordinating schedules, etc.) The open trailer makes life much easier, BUT now I have three vehicles to get ready each time, plus loading, unloading, storing the trailer... I figure 2 hours to get ready to go and 1 hour to unload on return. For me, the deciding factor is is the freedom the trailer provides. You can go wherever you want, whenever you want. You can have two extra sets of tires, all of your tools, jack, air bottle, other stuff, cooler, clothes, cigars, you name it. And it can all stay in your tow vehicle. Anyone remember unloading all of your gear from your car in the paddock and wrapping it with a tarp in the vain hope that the thunderstorm won't drench your stuff? Begging a jack, stands, tools, etc from others to fix your car or just flip your tires? On balance, I like my trailer.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 PM
spare tire
Racer

I use a big enclosed trailer and have taken home a few friends disableds car as well as my own. I also haul many sets of rimed up tires for myself and friends who drive and do not trailer. Tools, Nitrogen bottle, camping gear, spare stuff, jack, . But the Biggest reason is tire trouble in the first session of the day on a weekend and the fun is over. Unless you are autocrossing in The Tire Rack parking lot, our low profile sizes usually need to to be ordered and delivered to most tire stores. The next business day when I am back home the tires will arrive.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

I've been considering Porsche's roof rack, forget their clever name, "transport system"? Never seen one, so I don't know whether it'll accommodate extra wheels & tires. Sure would blow the aero to hell tho'.

Have seen a couple of the special tow bar set-ups for Porsches, but I'm not sure how the installation really works...or how comfortable I'd be with a little Harbor Freight trailer behind me.

I have an alloy racing jack that fits in the trunk, the handle fits behind the seat w/ the collapsible lawnchair.

Thanks for the reminder about inclement weather. I was fortunate a few weeks ago, other than heat and humidity, the skies were clear. I had forgotten about how tough it can be to keep things dry on rainy days.

Hmmm, trailers sound better again; c'mon you "drive-to" guys, I need some encouragement here!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Search the archives for examples of roof racks converted to tire racks. There are some very creative people out there.

If I drive my car to the track and it's raining, I use an oversized garbage bag to keep all my gear in (rubbermaid bin plus couple exta bags of junk). Everything stays dry. End of the day I remove the junk from the bag and put the (dry) gear in the car. I turn the garbage bag inside-out so it won't get the car interior wet. Still sucks though, but I found it's better than a tarp for a modest amount gear.

I don't know what your weather is like, but I live in a temperate rain forest. Crappy weather is "normal" for here and in my case a trailer is something I really enjoy. Except when I want to get a quick bite of food or meeting friends afterward.....parking a 44' rig can be a pita.

Cheers,
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See guys all he time with the tires on the roof. Works great
Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
i guess i'm a poser. i trailered so i could also take the wife and my son along. we used an f350 diesel. it was nice to just drive the car on the trailer and ride on an automatic couch back home versus sitting all sweaty in the gt3 for a long drive back home. i think not having to drive on worn DOT R tires especially through rain storms and from 2 day event was also safer. after a track weekend, the last thing i'm thinking about is how fun the drive home is. instead i just want to get home and go to sleep! another plus is you have a second vehicle during the weekend. i just left the car at the track overnight. we took the truck everywhere. when i was playing around on track, my wife or friends could take the truck out to get some food other than the usual limited stuff at the track.

oh, the trailer also doubled as a camping area for my kid and i had room to carry his toys too. also made for great shelter when it was raining or if you are at willow springs and its windy/hot and no shelter anywhere.
+1 to all of your comments. I've driven back from the track on worn Cups in the rain and it was just plain scary. Hydroplaning constantly is no fun. Trailering has all the other benefits you mention as well. That said, it does add a layer to the whole thing.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:26 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

All useful stuff...

Don't know why I didn't think about roof rack searches for previous ideas.

I probably won't do Hoosiers for awhile; certainly not as a "drive to and back" tire. Great on the track, not a street tire...and unless I get serious enough to start going to camber that'll suit the Hoosiers, not worth it.

I haven't had real bad experiences with Cups on the street as yet, maybe I just haven't been in a serious enough rain.

This "dual purpose" thing isn't as simple as it first appears. But the more track changes I make to a car, the less I drive it on the street; and I intend to drive this one daily 'til the snow flies. The less time the GT3 spends on a battery umbilical the better.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jacksojf
Hmmm, trailers sound better again; c'mon you "drive-to" guys, I need some encouragement here!
Ok, I have been a drive-to guy and so far so good. I track 3-4 times per month. This includes driving regularly across a mountain range (Sierras on I-80) to get to most tracks. And in heavy rain and in sleet on MPSC's (the new cup+ spec).

The good: I love to drive my Porsches even when tired. I run my sessions, pack my crap and am on the road in minimum time- simplicity. It is a joy to spend the time driving to-from. I don't give a darn about road mileage, I bought the car for me to enjoy, not the next guy. Oh and I get to share a paddock in close proximity with other interesting people who I share a common passion with.

The bad: I try to be ultra careful not to have an off and bend a wheel while on track. Track tires, worn, inclement weather.

Friends have trailers and it is a great place to hang out and stay shady :-) Other track folks I have met have BIG FREAKIN MOTORHOMES pulling a BIG FREAKING TRAILER with their car and crap. Seems pretty luxurious and you can take a shower in "your own home" while still at the track which sounds pretty nifty.

I already have enough complication in my tracking life and and fear adding a rig to it will make things more complicated. And I have no where to park such a thing at my house, so where?

Anyhow I am in the same boat as you and wonder if I should trailer or keep driving to-from. Would be nice to not have to worry about driving in inclement weather though That is dangerous with our track tires...
Old 07-10-2010, 11:22 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
...And I have no where to park such a thing at my house, so where?...
Some friends have rented a parking space close to their homes for their trailers. You can try RV lots, etc. $80/month or so. Will definitely vary based on location around the country.

Another option for infrequent track rats (or infrequent long track trips to far away places) is to rent a trailer. In my area they are $70/day for an open trailer. It adds up so it only works if you don't trailer much.

Cheers,
Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

Savy,

+1 on the good. I really enjoyed the drive home from the track, air on arctic, and tunes rockin'. Parked it in the garage, unloaded, and hit the shower and sack. Even tho' I had the space for the 20 footer, there was always backing that big rig in, and at least unhooking, stowing the hitch, equalizer and sway contol bars, unloading the Suburban; all when I was already fatigued after a long weekend.

The bad's not necessarily that bad; I found knowing the car had to get me home at the end of the weekend was something of a "red mist inhibitor"...forced me to work harder on learning the line and improving the little things before racheting up the speed.

Quick Reply: Driving to DEs vs Towing