Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lightweight Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 PM
hidalgo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight Headlights

I am correct that the only difference in the lightweight headlights is the delation of the headlight cleaners?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Deletion?
The lighweight headlights aren't HIDs, they're just a projector lens style (and perfectly effective on winding mountain roads in pitch black or at semi-sensible speeds on freeways in darkness and rain, etc.) I really dislike the plastic chrome tumescent pimple of the washer nozzle -- it's just plain failed engineering: "We need a washer to keep the mud from causing the headlights to heat up and go boom, yah? ... Yah ... just stick it out there on the front of the fender so it creates turbulence all along the body line and looks like a pinch of shiny **** flicked in the eye ..." Fail.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

does the lightweight headlights really delete the wash nipples??
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Deletion?
The lighweight headlights aren't HIDs, they're just a projector lens style (and perfectly effective on winding mountain roads in pitch black or at semi-sensible speeds on freeways in darkness and rain, etc.) I really dislike the plastic chrome tumescent pimple of the washer nozzle -- it's just plain failed engineering: "We need a washer to keep the mud from causing the headlights to heat up and go boom, yah? ... Yah ... just stick it out there on the front of the fender so it creates turbulence all along the body line and looks like a pinch of shiny **** flicked in the eye ..." Fail.
You can have them painted its a cost option.. :-)
Reason of cleaning system is that all lights above 2000 lumens must have cleaning system. its mandatory by OICA regulation.
Lightweight lights are cool but compared to xenon are, how to say it, night and day.

John

Last edited by 911SLOW; 06-30-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default wash nipple delete

Re: "Does the lightweight headlights really delete the wash nipples??" Yes. z356
Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Re: "Does the lightweight headlights really delete the wash nipples??" Yes. z356
now that is pretty neat!
that is one kinda cool thing about not having the bi-xenons.... more CUP esq...

however the bi-xenons are awesome and i dont mind the nipples...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my headlight cleaners painted in exterior color with the car.

Regards,

Picture taken after clear bra installation:
Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Waterboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They work just fine. I have them and they work well at night. I think losing the warts makes the front look cleaner.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterboy
They work just fine. I have them and they work well at night. I think losing the warts makes the front look cleaner.
And you can always add HID bulbs and ballasts aftermarket inexpensively to have the brightness (low beam only) of the Bi-Xenons without the extra weight of the autoleveling system or spray cleaners.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
And you can always add HID bulbs and ballasts aftermarket inexpensively to have the brightness (low beam only) of the Bi-Xenons without the extra weight of the autoleveling system or spray cleaners.
Unless you're a descendant of the "mole people" there's just no way anyone has such extraordinarily peculiar eyesight that they can see with HIDs at 6000K 8000K or whatever it is for Porsche's Xenons, but you can't see with the boring, old incandescent headlights (which are nonetheless very good candles on the front of the surrey with the fringe on top.)

Much as I'm willing to have corner-bending motorized HIDs on the Mercedes SUV for my "commute" (five miles of excellent mountain road) in the evenings and early mornings, it's just irrelevant on the RS and -- painted or not -- it's just absurd that the car doesn't come with quick-change plastic blanks so there's less weight and less expensive technology perched on the nose. We've had blanks for the 993 for 15 years ... does anyone make them for the 997? Seems like something worth a couple of bucks ... very easily changed ... wait ... no doubt it will through a "code" and put the LSD/PTV/SC/TC/PSM/Sport Plus PASM/Percolate-or-drip/froth-or-foam into limp-home mode and set the variable power-assist to "70's Cadillac" mode ... : )
Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a big difference between xenons and other lights. Also building in aftermarket xenon without auto-levelling system is just plain stupid, because the levelling system is there for a reason.

I have dynamic cornering lights on my car, and the difference when doing mountain roads at night (or even Swiss tunnels in the day) is huge.

Then I hear you say "but you don't need that on a racecar". Well I do when I drive home over the B258 coming from Adenau, after a decent pizza and a day of Ring-fun
Old 07-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know just how much weight is added with the full monty lights/washers/HID/cornering/levelling system vs the lightweight ones? If it's only a few pounds, located where we need more weight anyway, is it material?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read in a couple of reviews that the weight difference is for 99% in the extra reservoir for the headlight washers which takes X litres (and X kgs) of fluid.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are over the average age of Porsche ownership the Xenon is a must for you should you be on the road past curfew time so you will have to learn to live with the nipples...
My I RS is low optioned no nipples and night driving is a challenge at times.
RS II has Xenon....big big differnce.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

A life without nipples in it is not a life worth living ...

Oh we are talking about headlights ...

Ideally I would have had them painted ... they came silver ... I got over it ...

Quick Reply: Lightweight Headlights