Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who is running PCCB for DE on an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:15 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Who is running PCCB for DE on an RS?

Anyone? I need opinions. I'm considering ordering them if I spec a car. I would do 5-6 DE weekends a year with it, so 15-18 track days. From what I've read here, if you change pads often, PCCB are worthy in this setting. Yes/No?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

oh boy. i asked this question and its been asked several times before with usually a big debate erupting. i picked PCCB's on my new RS because I never had them before and wanted to give it a shot. knowing i can switch to steel rotors later helped ease my concerns over them. I measured the rotor thickness when new and will closely monitor. I will be tracking extensively and running the motorsport pads along with carefully following bed in instructions.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,815 Likes on 2,383 Posts

CGT tracks his RS with PCCB
GT3 north has been PCCB on his gen 1 GT3 since day one.
ping them.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mooty
CGT tracks his RS with PCCB
GT3 north has been PCCB on his gen 1 GT3 since day one.
ping them.
I've had no issues with PCCBs on the track. A dozen or so days per year average on two of the last three GT3's. On the 997.1 GT3 that I got with steels, I regretted not getting the ceramics. Still, the steels are so good on the 997.2, the "performance" argument has been reduced to subjective unsprung and flywheel weight concerns. I dislike the drilled steel rotors because they end up grooved and cracked after just a couple of days. If I went with steels again, I'd box the factory items before the track and use some after-market slotted. So the bottom line is money. If you want to save $9K, don't get ceramics, especially on the 2010 cars, I don't believe they justify the cost. If you accept maybe 25 cents on the dollar resale value (especially on the RS where I think secondary market buyers seemingly tend to choose and "pay up" for the ceramics cars) then the ceramics are still unequivocally a-w-e-s-o-m-e!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

russo tracks his with PCCB's as well. No issues that I know of.
+1 on the slotted v/s drilled issue.
I went with Girodiscs floating hubs myself, bought from Craig at rennstore.
His customer service is top notch, as well as his product. I highly recommend it.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twelve track days on my RS w/PCCB, seven track days on the Spyder w/PCCB. Love them, and finances allowing, would never order anything else. No apparant rotor wear. Stock pads will wear out quickly, keep a close eye on the leading edge side of pads!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
oh boy. i asked this question and its been asked several times before with usually a big debate erupting. i picked PCCB's on my new RS because I never had them before and wanted to give it a shot. knowing i can switch to steel rotors later helped ease my concerns over them. I measured the rotor thickness when new and will closely monitor. I will be tracking extensively and running the motorsport pads along with carefully following bed in instructions.
That's not how you measure wear.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:51 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

^ the dealer has photos and guidelines for the wear. the rotor thickness is not an issue. It is the surface integrity. As they wear the surface will become rougher until it feels like sandpaper.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:40 PM
ooberge
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had no issues with PCCBs on the track. A dozen or so days till now , i use p50 pads no wear or so ever
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1
That's not how you measure wear.
explaining how you would do so correctly would be beneficial ...
Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the controversy surrounding PCCB's and using them at the track had to do with TC and one of the other electric nannies. Is that not the case on the 2010's and 2011's?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:26 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

I have been tracking my RS for one year, about 12-14 events and no issues what so ever. I did finally put the steel rotors on, a set of Brembo from Sharky's. In street driving, the Brembos feel much more grippier than the Ceramics. I am looking forward to using this set up this coming weekend.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:12 AM
ROK
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a rock put in a nice groove on my steel rotors which is merely a cosmetic issue.

On the PCCB rotors, should this happen (can happen anytime on street or track), do they have to be replaced because it impacts function?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 AM
ac27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone (unbiased) explain the difference of the steel to PCCB's.... I am not a track guy (at least not yet) and I have the ceramics. I understood that they were lighter, held up better, had greater stopping power, and were more resistant to heat. So now heres my real question, if that is all true, then why are there still people out there who switch from ceramics to steel?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

please search some threads I started about breaking in or bedding PCCB rotors. I did something like 30 track days in my RS and only changed pads two or three times- went to p50 and followed my bedding in process and cooling process to the exact specs.

to someone above- YES a lot of PCCB "too soon" wear issues have to do with:

driving on track with traction control/ stability control activated
improper bedding in
not checking pad wear enough
not changing brake fluid enough or not upgrading to to better fluid
improper cooling of rotors...IE YOUR SLOW LAP IS TOO SLOW!
tire issues
bad technique (this is it's own thread)
improper handling of wheels during wheels on and off changes

and finally...

I have no idea why....

people setting their e-brakes after a hot session. NEVER DO THIS IN ANY CAR OR FOR ANY BRAKES.

so if you can read that list and honestly say "well that doesn't apply to me" then pccb are fine. I don't know how many track days they'll last, or how fast your lap times are...but I ordered them again on my 2011. These days, I'm more likely to drive something that's actually track dedicated vs a street car.

Quick Reply: Who is running PCCB for DE on an RS?