Who is running PCCB for DE on an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ac27
can someone (unbiased) explain the difference of the steel to PCCB's.... I am not a track guy (at least not yet) and I have the ceramics. I understood that they were lighter, held up better, had greater stopping power, and were more resistant to heat. So now heres my real question, if that is all true, then why are there still people out there who switch from ceramics to steel?
Everyone (using brakes) has bias.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:27 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

It sounds like P50 pads are the recommended pad. Any recommendations on where to get?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 AM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
To settle this argument why don't the guys who have the in car video with g-meters place them in cars with same tyres on the same day at the same track with PCCB and steels and get a g reading.
Then we can conclusively say which are better under braking.

Use Pagid RS29 with steels and P50 with PCCB

Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Enjoyed the comments as I'm considering upgrading the brakes on my 2010 Cayman. I discussed the issue with my dealer as to upgrading to the Carrera S brakes and he suggested why not PCCB as they are lighter and about the same cost. Their lead tech mentioned that the ceramics last three times as long and are 10 lbs ligher per corner over steel. Yes I know i'm talking a Cayman and this is the GT3 forum... but brakes are the issue. I track and auto x the cayman and the options I chose on it were for that purpose. So am I being foolish to consider ceramic or should I stick with larger steel rotors and calipers like the Carrera S or larger Brembos
Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Enjoyed the comments as I'm considering upgrading the brakes on my 2010 Cayman. I discussed the issue with my dealer as to upgrading to the Carrera S brakes and he suggested why not PCCB as they are lighter and about the same cost. Their lead tech mentioned that the ceramics last three times as long and are 10 lbs ligher per corner over steel. Yes I know i'm talking a Cayman and this is the GT3 forum... but brakes are the issue. I track and auto x the cayman and the options I chose on it were for that purpose. So am I being foolish to consider ceramic or should I stick with larger steel rotors and calipers like the Carrera S or larger Brembos
IMO Don't take advice from the sales guy. You always know what he's gonna recommend just by looking at the cost.

If you have the cash, and take care of your brakes, then get PCCB. If you don't have the money, or don't like to maintain the brakes, then get iron.

On the street alone, you'll never have issues with PCCB. They'll last much longer than you'll have car. It's only for the track where you need to make a conscious decision. I wouldn't worry about AutoX.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
It sounds like P50 pads are the recommended pad. Any recommendations on where to get?
www.rennstore.com

If you want PCCB get them if you do not than do not. They cost more to replace but last longer. I did not care and loved having them on both and will have them on the next.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RS LOVER
Hi Guys,
To settle this argument why don't the guys who have the in car video with g-meters place them in cars with same tyres on the same day at the same track with PCCB and steels and get a g reading.
Then we can conclusively say which are better under braking.

Use Pagid RS29 with steels and P50 with PCCB

Oh...I forget which car mag it was but last year they tested 2 GT3's one with steel and 1 with PCCB....graphs and all and they did not find that PCCB stoped any sooner than steels.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

pccb has more BITE.
it feels different.
some like it some doesn't
Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Oh...I forget which car mag it was but last year they tested 2 GT3's one with steel and 1 with PCCB....graphs and all and they did not find that PCCB stoped any sooner than steels.
Stopping:- tires are the limiting factor (and who wants to stop on the track?).

Momentum:- unsprung weight (and skill) are some of the limiting factors.

PCCB wins every time, even if you don't like the cost!

"Physics is Physics"
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

First off, I can't forget about the cost because they are expensive, enough said on that one.

Secondly, I personally do not like the pedal feel, height difference of the pedal and the "inconsistent" changes in braking force in braking zones with the ceramics. I just like the old school feel of steel brakes and not having to worry about added costs or possible reliability issues (Am I the only one that remembers what a nightmare the originals were?). Just personal preference.

Thirdly, I can't get into the yellow calipers.

There, several reasons why ceramics don't win every time. Different choices for different people.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

I have had them since Day 1 with no problems. The problems I saw were due to operator error and greatly exaggerated (IMO) since people were looking for the proverbial scapegoat

And, of course, budgets are budgets and it always about personal choice... but "physics is still physics"

Therefore PCCB win!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,298 Likes on 615 Posts

iron. not steel.

pedal height is because the brakes have not been bedded in.

I've got no reply on yellow caliper complaints.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:26 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,298 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^

I have had them since Day 1 with no problems. The problems I saw were due to operator error and greatly exaggerated (IMO) since people were looking for the proverbial scapegoat

And, of course, budgets are budgets and it always about personal choice... but "physics is still physics"

Therefore PCCB win!
I'm with you. budgeting on a 135k car...well then maybe 135k is too much and a GTR at 75k is a better choice, better yet, a mini for 25k!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
iron. not steel.

pedal height is because the brakes have not been bedded in.

I've got no reply on yellow caliper complaints.
How about "ferrous metal," does that make it ok? I would say I probably have more miles of 911/GT3/RS brake testing than most and that is my preference, bedded or not bedded...not even counting the early GT2's with obvious and documented ceramic issues.
I'm just saying there is a difference in pedal feel, etc with ceramics that you may or may not like, and you can't make a decision on what to pick from the order guide based on what other people tell you.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
I never had a brake problem in my early 2002 GT2. I knew many who had and the reason they had them..but it was not manufacturer related. It was (ab?)use.

Quick Reply: Who is running PCCB for DE on an RS?