Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who is running PCCB for DE on an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I know with my track car that I'm sticking with steel rotors. They are predictable and reliable and easily put up with abuse such as whacking them with a wheel, using them as a fulcrum to pry back brake pads, rocks, wheel weights etc etc... Plus when they are worn out you can easily tell by measuring or simply looking at the wear and a new set can arrive the next day.
I've seen worn gen 1 PCCBs on a 996 and they get pitted and the surface flakes off...but can you easily see a crack?? I don't know. I don't think that the weight reduction justifies the potential problems and the cost IMO...
Having said that I just bought a 997TT with PCCBs for the street and agree with Mooty that the feel is completely different...way more initial bite that makes it more difficult to be smooth...I'll get used to it but it is different. I've just about put my wife through the windshield so many times I had to increase her insurance policy
I've heard that reducing rotating unsprung mass has a net effect of times 6. So -8lbs/corner = -192lbs net. Add some light wheels and you're up to -250lbs or more so not an insignificant effect...but I've yet to see a significant difference on the track where driver skills still make the biggest difference IMO.
I think the proof would be to hear from one of the many that have switched from PCCB to steel for track use...did it make the lap times slower??? i doubt it...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:39 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything that lightens the car theoretically makes it better for the track (safety assumed).

Trying to justify the "lightening" choices (pun intended) versus cost is just rationalization!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the super cup guys are having a lot of success with PCCB. They will also make the street car systems better. The rotors are inspected before each race to pass scrutinizing as the intent is to have the rotors last the season.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

PCCB are superior to steel in all categories except cost...The initial stong bite will go away once the pads are bedded ( a track day will do the trick) then street breaking will become normal on initial pedal application....IMO they are a must on every Porsche.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:44 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=cscrogham;7683809 I probably have more miles of 911/GT3/RS brake testing than most and that is my preference, bedded or not bedded.[/QUOTE]

No, you don't!!!

Otherwise you wouldn't be making this ignorant statement. BTW, I have approx. 100k miles of PCCB "brake testing". Steels, iron or other "ferrous metals" don't even come close to the consistency, predictability and immense stopping power of PCCBs...on or off the track!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

^ +1
Old 06-28-2010, 02:20 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=cscrogham;7683809 I probably have more miles of 911/GT3/RS brake testing than most and that is my preference, bedded or not bedded.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by BobbyC
No, you don't!!!

Otherwise you wouldn't be making this ignorant statement. BTW, I have approx. 100k miles of PCCB "brake testing". Steels, iron or other "ferrous metals" don't even come close to the consistency, predictability and immense stopping power of PCCBs...on or off the track!
Hey BobbyC, I personally like PCCB's a lot and have them on all my cars, however, I also know cscrogham's background and he is a gentleman and a very nice guy and trust me, he has a very long history and racing association with Porsche cars. I respect his opinion hugely and always value hearing it. Go easy on my friend, my friend. If you ever met him I think you would enjoy the experience and share my respect.

Cheers-
Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
I am sure that is true, but all the carping about the negatives of PCCBs is nothing more than cost rationalization.

You have to pay to play!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Boy, go away for a few days and everyone wants to pile on. Thanks for the support Savy, but I am pretty thick skinned about things like this. Anonymous forums have a way of letting people get carried away with a few short keystrokes and say things they might not in person, when they would probably enjoy an honest and reasonable debate over a beer sometime...
I was just offering an informed opinion, as there was a period of time that I was spending several days a week testing GT3 systems at VIR, and trying to run a racing team and all the other stuff that goes along with that. I thought that opinion might be useful to the chap trying to decide what to do...you guys are free to do what you like with your own money and I wanted to offer an alternative point of view for someone trying to make a decision.
I'll stand by what I said, ignorant or not.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Just another data point but I have an 04 GT3 with 58,500 miles and it still has the original Gen 1 rotors. Mostly street miles but at least 15-20 track days and dozens of auto-x's. Use good brake ducts (cup ducts), keep the pads 50% or more, and they seem to be pretty happy. By the way, I'm currently using the P40 stock pads and have NEVER had fade issues as long as I keep the fluid fresh and agree with prior statements that my braking capacity has only ever been limited by the tires (and my sense of self preservation).

I absolutely love the feel of them by the way. My steel rotor experience comes from loaners from the dealer (about 6 or so different Porsches) and I have never liked the feel of those cars as well. The braking on the PCCB is firm, absolutely progressive and can be easily modulated. Interestingly, as for pedal height differences, on the street, heel toeing is okay but as the speeds build (and braking forces increase), the heel toe height is divine. I think the 8k as an option is worth it if you really take care of them, keep the car long enough, and ironically, in particular if you are tracking the car as they don't spider and groove. Other unsung advantages are they don't rust or get pad transfer that causes shimmying (I had brembos previously where this was a huge problem).

Bottom line, if I don't cheap out, they will definitely be on my next car.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM
tshih
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have PCCB's on my 2010 GT3 and have done 6 track days so far. Notice that it may be time for new pads soon (based on remaining pad thickness). Anyone have the part numbers for the P50 green replacement pads? I don't know what pads came with my car OEM. The dealer said there appears to be 4 types of pad choices for the PCCB rotors equipped cars.

Total 911 magazine issues #48, 49, and 50 had a 3-part series articles on the PCCB's problem areas and precautions to take to maintain their longevity.

Enjoy them if you can. Other people who I've spoken to who track their cars a lot said the steel/iron ones wear out much faster especially if you use aggressive pads so in the long run more sets have to be consumed so the price difference is marginal if you take care of the PCCB's. Price wise 1 set of PCCB rotors = 3-4 sets of stock steel rotors for the current generation GT3s.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
tshih
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Also one other observation I have is my rears appear to be wearing down in pad thickness quicker than the fronts. The reason I've come up with is I leave traction control and Stability management on when driving (since I'm not brave enough to drive this unfamiliar machine without safety nannies ) on the track and the front brakes have twice the surface areas of the rears.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by tshih
Also one other observation I have is my rears appear to be wearing down in pad thickness quicker than the fronts. The reason I've come up with is I leave traction control and Stability management on when driving (since I'm not brave enough to drive this unfamiliar machine without safety nannies ) on the track and the front brakes have twice the surface areas of the rears.
Not only that but he brake bias has an effect as well as the e-Nannies ...

better get some .2 rear brake ducts installed asap

Oh ... Whoops ... it's a '10 and you have those ducts already ...

dude ... learn to turn off the nannies otherwise be ready to buy a new set of rear rotors sooner than you should/could

Last edited by Larry Cable; 06-28-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: realized he had a '10
Old 06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Id use em' for D.E and everyday street.

wish i had em

i could always swap to iron rotors for races.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
<snip> learn to turn off the nannies otherwise be ready to buy a new set of rear rotors sooner than you should/could
I think the better alternative is to learn to drive so the "nannies" don't intervene. : )

I've heard rumors the pro drivers testing the car reported they can't put down faster laps with the 2010 RS safeties turned off. It would be interesting to get some factual attributions, interviews, quotes. For the time being, in my experience, there's no advantage in turning off the SC/TC in the 2010 RS and no change in rear brake temps. This is entirely unlike the 2007-8 meddlesome junk.

Quick Reply: Who is running PCCB for DE on an RS?