Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sound Package Plus on the GT3-How good does it sound?..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
serpico1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated...>

WIll def go with the SPP option for $700.00, esp since I am not letting anyone touch this baby after it gets off the boat!

Thanks again....
Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
YellowCalliper
Intermediate

I have it in my GT3-RS - it is not that good at all unless you are going 5mph in a parking lot.

Hit the sport button and listen to the engine - best sound system in the world!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:32 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Not worth the weight or cost.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the cabin noise in the Gen2 cars has increased.

If you want an audio system, get a Panamera or Cayenne with the Burmeister system.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:41 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

I'll be able to answer many of these questions in the next few days or so. Supposed to take delivery (finally) tomorrow of my 2011 GT3. I ordered the SPP, but did so more for the ability to upgrade it. I am going to be doing a mild upgrade, which I know will increase the weight slightly, but will be offsetting the weight (and then some) with exhaust and lithium ion battery.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ands8
I also like my choons & have given this a lot of thought since buying into a gt3.

Currently on my 97.1 gt3 i do not have spp, just the default couple of speakers & no amp. The sound quality & bass are about as rubbish as you can get but the volume is the main problem, it just doesnt go loud enough as theres no amp. Most of the time the engine sound drowns out most of it & when cruising on the auto routes a similar problem of you just cant hear anything out the speakers.

The spp includes the amp & 9 speakers. The amp is the main thing as it cannot be retrofitted. By ordering the spp, even if the sound quality is bad, you can swap out the amp & speakers for better quality kit & then replace them with the originals when you sell it. As it would be a straight swap out, theres no drilling of holes etc & should be quite straight forward.

I would like to know the various speaker sizes & amp size etc for when ill be looking at doing this if anyone knows. Otherwise ill be getting my tape measure out next month
The specs for the 997.1 GT3 spp are as follows, I believe the .2 version is the same. I tried uploading the pdf from the spec booklet but the file size is too large.

The CDR-24 radio or PCM outputs 4 X 25 watts which powers the 2 rear 4" speakers and the 2 front 4" speakers including the tweeters in the dash. The seperate amp is 2 X 55 watts which powers the 2 8" speakers in the doors plus 1 X 25 for the 2 3/4" midrange speaker in the center of the dash.

Without spp all you get are the 2 4" speakers in the doors and 2 tweeters in the dash powered by the 25 watts per channel amp built into the radio. The spp is not an audiophile system by any means but it is far superior to the standard system. Personally I was thinking of just changing out the speakers but I don't think there's enough power in the spp system to power high quality speakers so I left it alone. I wish there was a good i pod solution for my 997.1 GT3.

Last edited by BG; 06-21-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 AM
cdixon
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I picked up my 2011 GT3 from the factory on Friday. My view on the SPP is as follows:-

On German/French roads 2/10
On UK roads -2/10 with the cup tyres the road noise drowns out the stereo on full volume.

The system is rubbish, but i did not buy the car for the stereo. In the UK you must spec SPP to get the PCM. Anyway the exhaust note from anything over 3000rpm with sports button makes up for the sound system. I do agree however that sometimes it is nice to have a radio when you are sat in traffic jams, i i guess you could say it kind of delivers when the car is pottering along in traffic
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The SPP is by no means a benchmark for car audio, hell it ain't even close but I've either got bionic hearing, an unusually loud system or a faulty exhaust system because I can hear it just fine.

I even have to turn the system down on the track or during spirited driving to concentrate on getting shifts right particularly on the down shift...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Best sound package option you can have is the one that says radio delete and its free.
If you keep the a/c i might forgive you but with radio i wont. ;-)

John
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone that has a GT3 loves the way the engine sounds but there are many times especially if you use your car all the time that you want to sit back and listen to some tunes and have it sound fairly decent. If your using your GT3 mainly as a track car then fine but otherwise it sounds rediculous to say the engine sound is all I need, etc., etc.. How many people on this forum could possibly tell the difference in handling from the extra 10 lbs. or so that it would add, I'm betting no one. No one here is talking about adding triple 18" woofers powered by 5000 watts to their GT3.
The following users liked this post:
f22c (08-20-2020)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- a major advantage with the standard sound system (not yet mentioned) is that it allows you, if you wish, to gut the front trunk (this takes 3 minutes) of the carpet and then remove the 6 inch thick piece of foam that sits below the carpeting (where the ungraded amp goes)

- if you do this quick gutting, it really increases the amount of stuff you can fit in the trunk

- 2 fuel cans, helmet, Hans, shoes, quart oil, tq wrench, air compressor, etc (when people see the amount of stuff that comes out of this space they are usually shocked) - almost suv like
Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM
YearOne
Racer

I have the standard system in my 997 GT3.1 and I had the speakers upgraded and a small amp fitted in the front. You can't tell by looking at the car, it adds basically no weight at all and improves the car immensely for all the times you are cruising along, I have no issue with subtly upgrading the hi-fi in cars with aftermarket kit. You should see the speakers that Porsche use, i put mine in the bin, the next owner deserves some decent speakers too!

Why the reluctance to go aftermarket just because its a GT3? We change out loads of other parts why not the speaker cones, its a huge improvement that has no downsides.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by YearOne
I have the standard system in my 997 GT3.1 and I had the speakers upgraded and a small amp fitted in the front. You can't tell by looking at the car, it adds basically no weight at all and improves the car immensely for all the times you are cruising along, I have no issue with subtly upgrading the hi-fi in cars with aftermarket kit. You should see the speakers that Porsche use, i put mine in the bin, the next owner deserves some decent speakers too!

Why the reluctance to go aftermarket just because its a GT3? We change out loads of other parts why not the speaker cones, its a huge improvement that has no downsides.
what speakers did you upgrade to?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:22 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Well the cabin noise in the Gen2 cars has increased.

If you want an audio system, get a Panamera or Cayenne with the Burmeister system.
An RS with a Burmeister now that is a great idea
and an excuse to spend time in it when idle.
what are you doing sitting in the car inside the garage?
Listening to music
I know she won't say get a system for the house

Quick Reply: Sound Package Plus on the GT3-How good does it sound?..