Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sound Package Plus on the GT3-How good does it sound?..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM
serpico1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Package Plus on the GT3-How good does it sound?..

Morning all,

Still mulling this over...and I appreciated everyone's remarks last time around on to buy or not to buy....

Can anyone shed some light on how good the sound is with the 9 speakers and 235W.

I am a huge rock and roller, and in the business (concerts). Anyway, I have always added my own high end stereos to my cars.
Alpine CD players, Infinity Kappas seperates, Rockford Fosgate, etc.

But NO, I am not going to touch the GT3 if I get it with anything after Germany finishes and I take delivery.

That said, who has this option and how good does it sound for being "stock", even with the 9 speakers?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 AM
keno
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMHO, even with the sound system plus, it sounds pretty lousy. So bad, that I usually leave it off, even in conditions where you'd like to have a nice sound system like in traffic or just cruising at hwy speeds. Good thing for great exhaust and engine notes which more than compensate. Bose upgrade in my previous 997 was considerbly better.

All the best,
Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Sound Package Plus on my 07 and it was beyond bad. I ended up pulling most of it out and putting in some upgraded speakers, an amp, and an IPOD interface and XM. The weight difference between both systems was a total of 8 pounds. The speakers that came out were the worst possible with virtually no magnet. My system still uses the factory analog radio for some control of the XM and to get free radio. My IPOD bypasses everything going directly to the amp.

I would recommend the change. I can hear music on the highway with the windows down and still can play the exhaust with the right foot anytime I want. Enjoy the car. I plan on taking long trips to events and love my tunes when on the way.

Stu
Old 06-16-2010, 12:40 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it on my RS. Definitely worth it if you like to listen it anything but the exhaust. Night and day comparison between with it and without it. All the systems suck in the GT cars...this one just sucks less. If ordering, I will never do anything different on a car I plan on driving on the street. I don't like the idea of going aftermarket on a GT car.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I have it on my RS. Definitely worth it if you like to listen it anything but the exhaust. Night and day comparison between with it and without it. All the systems suck in the GT cars...this one just sucks less. If ordering, I will never do anything different on a car I plan on driving on the street. I don't like the idea of going aftermarket on a GT car.
I concur ... it sucks less ... I personally would walk away from any used GT that was sporting a non-factory/aftermarket stereo ...
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smf32s
I have the Sound Package Plus on my 07 and it was beyond bad. I ended up pulling most of it out and putting in some upgraded speakers, an amp, and an IPOD interface and XM. The weight difference between both systems was a total of 8 pounds. The speakers that came out were the worst possible with virtually no magnet. My system still uses the factory analog radio for some control of the XM and to get free radio. My IPOD bypasses everything going directly to the amp.

I would recommend the change. I can hear music on the highway with the windows down and still can play the exhaust with the right foot anytime I want. Enjoy the car. I plan on taking long trips to events and love my tunes when on the way.

Stu
what sort of upgraded speakers?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

I assume that all of you guys do NO mods to your cars either. To each there own. It's still a car...a fantastic one. I chose to enjoy it with the tunes and have done a few other things to make it better for me. I plan on keeping it a long time and really enjoying my time behind the wheel. Sway bars, grill screens, and plastic wrap have helped too. Who knows what else might be done?

Either way, enjoy your car and drive it as much as you can. However you have outfitted it.

Stu

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I concur ... it sucks less ... I personally would walk away from any used GT that was sporting a non-factory/aftermarket stereo ...
Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I assume that all of you guys do NO mods to your cars either. To each there own. It's still a car...a fantastic one. I chose to enjoy it with the tunes and have done a few other things to make it better for me. I plan on keeping it a long time and really enjoying my time behind the wheel. Sway bars, grill screens, and plastic wrap have helped too. Who knows what else might be done?

Either way, enjoy your car and drive it as much as you can. However you have outfitted it.

Stu
Stu, I was not judging you or your choices, just stating that for me stereo mods in a car are a real turnoff ... that's all ... it's your $ ... enjoy
Old 06-16-2010, 12:58 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
what sort of upgraded speakers?
Not sure but I can call and check. It has been a few months. Had a friends company here in the DC/Balt area do it for me and have been very happy. Almost can't tell anything was done to the interior except the XM control and one little rotary swith hidden under the dash.

The amp is visible in the front trunk but not in the way. Let me know if you need more info and I will give them a ring for you.

Stu
Old 06-16-2010, 01:03 PM
KerryE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my sound plus sounds horrible
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Not sure but I can call and check. It has been a few months. Had a friends company here in the DC/Balt area do it for me and have been very happy. Almost can't tell anything was done to the interior except the XM control and one little rotary swith hidden under the dash.

The amp is visible in the front trunk but not in the way. Let me know if you need more info and I will give them a ring for you.

Stu
not a problem, just curious what a "simple" speaker upgrade would do for the sound plus ...
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,367 Likes on 632 Posts

compared to an upgraded audi system...it's not very good.

but - compared to radio delete, it gives you the option. for the 700 bucks or so, it's not that bad considering you've either got that or an absolutely awful system.

if you're going to use it as a daily driver, I'd say go for it.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

On the GT3/ RS... The Sound system plus gets a Zero on a scale of 10...and I am not in the acoustic business.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
On the GT3/ RS... The Sound system plus gets a Zero on a scale of 10...and I am not in the acoustic business.
What does the stock system get? A negative 5?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:09 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

the stock system is a solid -5. i think the speaker on my iphone actually can be louder.

Quick Reply: Sound Package Plus on the GT3-How good does it sound?..