Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Race-Keeper data system

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

That is only six (including me)...we need 10 more people...anyone else
I am posting a new thread for the buyers so please indicate if you are into the group buy
Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race-Keeper will be announcing a pitch/yaw sensor later this year. Also, as an add-on to the iDash application using an iPhone, they will be announcing an iPhone application that will communicate from the iPhone in the car to an iPhone in the pits - not only data but streaming video!
They will also have contingency programs for the SCCA Runoffs National Championships and the NASA National Championships.

Please post on the Race-Keeper Group Buy thread that Mohamad started if you are interested. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billstevens61
Race-Keeper will be announcing a pitch/yaw sensor later this year. Also, as an add-on to the iDash application using an iPhone, they will be announcing an iPhone application that will communicate from the iPhone in the car to an iPhone in the pits - not only data but streaming video!
They will also have contingency programs for the SCCA Runoffs National Championships and the NASA National Championships.

Please post on the Race-Keeper Group Buy thread that Mohamad started if you are interested. Thanks.
Assuming you're at a track that maintains WiFi coverage all around the track ... : )

I really don't need people in the paddock or the pits to be aware of my mediocrity any sooner than absolutely necessary.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in on the group buy.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Assuming you're at a track that maintains WiFi coverage all around the track ... : )

I really don't need people in the paddock or the pits to be aware of my mediocrity any sooner than absolutely necessary.
Wifi for iDash is very short range, inside the car. Telemetry from the car to the pits will be cellular.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:02 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Race-Keeper just announced an upgrade to the Comparo analysis software and the system software (firmware on the box itself). Go to the website, read the release notes, and download the new versions. There are no charges involved.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:59 AM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Bill,
Thanks for the help, setup was very easy as is the UI, I just need to focus the rear camera. Here is my first session with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsBF6GV-br0

Last edited by peer; 10-10-2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: redundant
Old 10-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the mic noise -- it's not wind or dB related, it seems to be some sort of sensor gain problem (ie. the gain doesn't attenuate at all as ambient dB rises.) I don't think it's ignition noise (I have it connected to a battery pack, but it could still be getting induction noise from the OBD or just adjacent cables.)

As for focus, I think the cameras don't have focus rings -- they're fixed focal length.

I wonder if there's a way to "calibrate" the accelerometers so they don't read FSD all the time.

btw, there's a "GT3" gauge type in the setup menus.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:53 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

As for focus, I think the cameras don't have focus rings -- they're fixed focal length.
They do focus. There is a little set screw on the side of the lens to hold it in position when you've finished focusing it.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
They do focus. There is a little set screw on the side of the lens to hold it in position when you've finished focusing it.
Damn. I knew the pipe wrench was the wrong tool for the job.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Damn. I knew the pipe wrench was the wrong tool for the job.
You just had to hit the lens the right way. Try it again.

I wonder if there's a way to "calibrate" the accelerometers so they don't read FSD all the time.
Maybe these will help:
http://www.race-keeper.com/comparo_s...ch=14_accelcal

http://www.race-keeper.com/comparo_s...h=15_accelzero
Old 10-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
You just had to hit the lens the right way. Try it again.

Maybe these will help:
http://www.race-keeper.com/comparo_s...ch=14_accelcal

http://www.race-keeper.com/comparo_s...h=15_accelzero
Those videos remind me of some computer software "training" videos (say a video editing application) that spends time showing how "to open a file, left-click the 'file' menu and move the mouse so that the cursor, the small, white arrow on the computer display, points at the word 'open' in the list of words that appears below the word 'File' in the File menu.) Truly bizarre. And the "calibrate" video shows no means of calibration, it shows how to change the orientation of the accelerometer according to the installed orientation of the RK box. Useful knowledge, but it's nothing to do with a calibration or range and scale adjustment. Second, the "zeroing" or "center" of the accelerometer is fun, too, but again it's not calibration, it's just a reset of the zero -- this doesn't help with the problem of the "bubble" continuously pinning FSD. At least the data graph does rescale. I wonder if there's a way to get actual raw data out into a spreadsheet?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:11 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I know what you mean about the vids.

Maybe it's too much beer tonight, but what's FSD?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up with the Racelogic Video VBox Lite as I am not a heavy duty information analyser but need to know the basics of my driving habits at my tracks and the VBox Lite gives more than enough track data via GPS and an OBD connection to the car if one wants.

Its another good alternative if you want HD video but only need a camera for the track and to keep an eye on the driver, but need some good quality software for analysis alongside video later. Note as well that the system automatically links the video to the data... no need to synch. Its really easy to use and a great tool.

Check it out here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHA_B...layer_embedded

But for analysis tending towards race car teams, one needs to go towards an AIM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 AM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the mic noise -- it's not wind or dB related, it seems to be some sort of sensor gain problem (ie. the gain doesn't attenuate at all as ambient dB rises.) I don't think it's ignition noise (I have it connected to a battery pack, but it could still be getting induction noise from the OBD or just adjacent cables.)

btw, there's a "GT3" gauge type in the setup menus.
Agree with the mic noise, I am going to try it in front of the "wart" (sports chrono), the set screw to focus is a tiny bugger and you have to be ready to catch it.

Quick Reply: Race-Keeper data system