What's the better fit: GT3 RS, GT2 or GT2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Rixon
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the better fit: GT3 RS, GT2 or GT2 RS

The question is what to do?

I really enjoyed my 997 GT2 the past 2 years a lot! The power is brutal, the performance and balance what I'm used to and the handling superb. Yet, as it is with toys, there is always something newer out there tempting you...
My current setup includes roll-cage, 6-point harness, track wheel set, full carbon fiber seats, etc. I was looking into engine performance upgrades (EVT640) and some other minor things to have even more fun on and off the track.
However, today 2 Porsche dealers I bought from before, contacted me. #1 has a 2011 GT3 RS available. White like mine with the red wheels and the whole package. It will be available by the end of this month. Always wanted to try the GT3 RS but I'm not sure if I would like it here in Utah. After all, I live at 5,800 feet elevation, Miller Motorsport Park is still at 4,800 feet and life is better with a twin turbo at this elevation, right?! Any thoughts on the elevation (dis)advantage? Please let me know.
Then, dealer #2 called and said he has a 2011 Turbo S available for immediate delivery and said he could get me a GT2 RS in October or November.
Would it be worth the wait and instead of spending more money on my 2008 GT2 wait and get a GT2 RS? Or, is the GT2 RS overpriced and I'm better off to get my GT2 upgraded? I would end up with equal performance but maybe 2 year older technology?!

What would you do? I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

upgrade your car.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

First question: does your GT2 currently have a roll bar or roll cage? And what make is it?

Im going to recommend avoiding a GT3RS since you are used to a GT2. Especially now that GT2 is offered in RS trim.

If you can afford a GT2, and actually considering a GT2RS than you can afford it and therefore definitely get the GT2RS.
Do not mod your current GT2 any further. Get ready to either sell it or trade it in bone stock for maximum value.

You will want to keep the harnesses and roll bar if possible for the GT2RS.
Sell the old track wheels. You are going to require some BBS center locks.

with a GT2RS on order you will quickly forget about modifying your current GT2.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

GT2 RS
Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

^ what he said.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rixon
Always wanted to try the GT3 RS but I'm not sure if I would like it here in Utah. After all, I live at 5,800 feet elevation, Miller Motorsport Park is still at 4,800 feet and life is better with a twin turbo at this elevation, right?! Any thoughts on the elevation (dis)advantage? Please let me know.
You have a high class problem that is for damn sure...lol.

My house is at 6200' elevation so I clearly understand your dilemma. I went through the same thought process.

1. The RS is PLENTY strong up here. You won't feel cheated or power-poor as you carve up Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon.

2. Having owned a turbo (335i) as well up here, it drove me crazy as I applied throttle from standing start and waited for the boost to build and then the thing took off. No matter how little turbo lag you have, is so much worse to drive a turbo motor at altitude.

3. The GT2RS is WAY overpriced. With that said, I want one in the worst way...haha! It will be the ultimate track day terror. And ALL Porsches are way overpriced given the commonality of the parts and easy build. They amortized the tooling a long time ago.

The beauty of GT3 or GT3RS is the linear power delivery. Not brutal, but building incrementally, seemingly forever. Having a GT2 as your current car though, you will feel cheated with any NA car probably.

Bottom line? You can't make a bad choice my friend! Post and let us know how it works out will you?

Last edited by savyboy; 06-03-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

get on waitlist for 918 spyder.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 AM
Rixon
AutoX

aussie - Thank you. You might be on to something.

Nizer / Triode - Great minds think alike!

tcsracing1 - I have a factory Porsche 12-point roll cage - Installed by Porsche Motor Sports. Long story.... What you say makes perfect sense. I'll keep the race parts and use them for the GT2 RS - Brilliant! Coming from a GT3 RS driver your feedback is really valuable to me. I appreciate it!

savyboy - Nice to see you are familiar with my backyard canyon-track. I'm not sure though if I agree with #2. There is turbo and then there is a Porsche TT. My mother in-law has the 335 and I have to agree - It has a weak turbo that is not in the same solar system with the 997 TTs. It might just come down to preference. I personally love the brutal force of the twin T's on the track and the added element of pain and white knuckle it adds when you floor it on the front straight away, knowing exactly you have to decelerate by about 100 mph within 300 feet unless you want to spend the next session in pit lane collecting gravel out of your air intakes..... I think I might have gotten carried away here.... I have to agree with #3 though. Porsche can come across overpriced. Especially if you compare a 997.1 TT with a Nissan GT-R. Then again, Nissan had a 2 year advantage, planted there testing team at the Nuerburgring and the rest you could read in Road & Track in the section "Ultimate Playstation", a.k.a. Godzilla. However, when it comes to the perfect package: Design, quality, reliability, maintenance, performance, developing ahead of the game and yet being the everyday track-ready sports car - Porsche is simply the best! All of a sudden you find yourself in the Supercar league, competing with LP560, F430, F455, etc - The Porsche price now feels like like steal. Just my two cents... :-)

I own NA cars though and love them actually. The torque my wife's SL63 produces is great, the latest edition SLS AMG is thrilling and especially my old C4S was fantastic.... but I didn't use either one of these cars frequently on the track.

I think it comes down to is it possible to spend the extra $$ for the "ultimate track terror" or for the college education of my 4 kids.... Oh well, nothing wrong with homeschooling, right :-)

Thank you guys. I will keep you posted. And, please keep the thought wheels turning....

Cheers,
Rixon

Last edited by Rixon; 06-03-2010 at 03:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2010, 02:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

maybe I'm a dissenting opinion on this one, but I'm a numbers guy.

still- my thought process.

your GT2 with 30k in upgrades (+ or - ) is going to be ludicrous fast.

but- will it be reliable? will it be driveable? how much is your time worth? how long will you have to wait for a GT2RS? in the meantime, what will you drive? how much are you leaving on the table skill wise?

it's taken a huge depreciation hit already. it's already largely set up. it's already in your garage. you already have spares.

I'd say this. Don't do anything car wise just yet. Go get beat up in some formula cars at a racing school. then drive your car on the track. then think about what you may or may not need to do (probably nothing). then think about just going racing for real.

If I had to eat 100k, I'd rather spend the 100k on actual racing, race school, instruction, etc than cars...if I had a choice, and already had cool cars- which you do.

just a blind, out of right-center field opinion.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Rixon
AutoX

C.J. You are wise and you make some excellent points and I'm meanwhile wondering if my wife paid you to post this :-)
I actually spend some time at MMP for training and schooling during the last 2 years and will hopefully find the time this year to get my Competition License this year. Ether way, I still have a lot to learn and appreciate your "right-center" field opinion. If you are ever in UT - Let me know and we'll have some fun at MMP - It's an amazing facility/track!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

aussie - Thank you. You might be on to something.

Nizer / Triode - Great minds think alike!

tcsracing1 - I have a factory Porsche 12-point roll cage - Installed by Porsche Motor Sports. Long story.... What you say makes perfect sense. I'll keep the race parts and use them for the GT2 RS - Brilliant! Coming from a GT3 RS driver your feedback is really valuable to me. I appreciate it!

savyboy - Nice to see you are familiar with my backyard canyon-track. I'm not sure though if I agree with #2. There is turbo and then there is a Porsche TT. My mother in-law has the 335 and I have to agree - It has a weak turbo that is not in the same solar system with the 997 TTs. It might just come down to preference. I personally love the brutal force of the twin T's on the track and the added element of pain and white knuckle it adds when you floor it on the front straight away, knowing exactly you have to decelerate by about 100 mph within 300 feet unless you want to spend the next session in pit lane collecting gravel out of your air intakes..... I think I might have gotten carried away here.... I have to agree with #3 though. Porsche can come across overpriced. Especially if you compare a 997.1 TT with a Nissan GT-R. Then again, Nissan had a 2 year advantage, planted there testing team at the Nuerburgring and the rest you could read in Road & Track in the section "Ultimate Playstation", a.k.a. Godzilla. However, when it comes to the perfect package: Design, quality, reliability, maintenance, performance, developing ahead of the game and yet being the everyday track-ready sports car - Porsche is simply the best! All of a sudden you find yourself in the Supercar league, competing with LP560, F430, F455, etc - The Porsche price now feels like like steal. Just my two cents... :-)

I own NA cars though and love them actually. The torque my wife's SL63 produces is great, the latest edition SLS AMG is thrilling and especially my old C4S was fantastic.... but I didn't use either one of these cars frequently on the track.

I think it comes down to is it possible to spend the extra $$ for the "ultimate track terror" or for the college education of my 4 kids.... Oh well, nothing wrong with homeschooling, right :-)

Thank you guys. I will keep you posted. And, please keep the thought wheels turning....

Cheers,
Rixon

I have the same full cage in my RS.

you are in a position to get the king kong street legal Porsche track car.
Id go for it.
Money spent on further modding your current GT2 will only go down the toilet with the arrival of the GT2RS.

The GT2RS is going to be a keeper car. This is the one you want to install full cage.

i love your license plate. now it is time to reserve GT2RS plate. or the # of 500 built
Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

C.J. You are wise and you make some excellent points and I'm meanwhile wondering if my wife paid you to post this :-)
I actually spend some time at MMP for training and schooling during the last 2 years and will hopefully find the time this year to get my Competition License this year. Ether way, I still have a lot to learn and appreciate your "right-center" field opinion. If you are ever in UT - Let me know and we'll have some fun at MMP - It's an amazing facility/track!
yeah just been there done that with modding cars for "track days" at least with club racing you get a damn trophy! plus, you really are driving it like you stole it in a spec class. racing is 100x better than the regular track day. you sound pretty serious so I'll share that little known but often wondered factoid!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Just sayin'....
Attached Images     
Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Get the GT2 RS.

The GT3 RS will be underpowered compared to what you are used to.

Upgrading the GT2 will be money out the window and potentially the next buyer will think your car was thrashed.

Turbo S would be great is you were planning on getting a job in New York and driving everyday to work from Utah!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Just sayin'....
That was SO wrong of you to post that.

Now his kids are going to go without a formal education. And you will be to blame.

Quick Reply: What's the better fit: GT3 RS, GT2 or GT2 RS