Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3RS- LSD Shot

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:45 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 GT3RS- LSD Shot

11 track days, 4500 miles on the clock. LSD shot. RR tire much more worn than LR, dancing rear under hard braking. With both wheels off ground, in gear, RR cannot be turned, LR spins freely.

Just emailed Matt at GT Gears.

Sucks that LSD is worn out this quickly

Mikymu has a great thread on this subject. Other owners, budget for it now...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you think it could be covered under warranty? Or it's a wear and tear type of thing? I did see Mikymu's thread on it. Was very informative.

I plan to do a lot of track time in my GT3, do you think It's the same LSD?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bloody hell this is an RS brand fricken new!!!

Call your PCNA local rep and tell `em they better replace it - regardless of warranty wording.

You've paid over $150K after taxes and other crap to get her on the track; they better back up their product. I mean **** man, this isn't a Ferrari!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:15 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Best as I can determine, same, weak, quick death LSD as previous.

Would be covered under warranty IF you use Porsche OE parts to repair. In my mind, what good would that be as I am an avid tracker. Same problem after a few more track days. Will see what Matt recommends and fix the damn thing right even though I have to pay for it. Very frustrating.

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Bloody hell this is an RS brand fricken new!!!

Call your PCNA local rep and tell `em they better replace it - regardless of warranty wording.

You've paid over $150K after taxes and other crap to get her on the track; they better back up their product. I mean **** man, this isn't a Ferrari!
I hear you, might be worth a try but I am not feeling like they will do anything.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

+1

I think we all realize that the LSD is a maintenance item but you think they could at least engineer one to last a heavy track season. An LSD every 10-15 days would get old real quick...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:37 AM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
11 track days, 4500 miles on the clock. LSD shot. RR tire much more worn than LR, dancing rear under hard braking. With both wheels off ground, in gear, RR cannot be turned, LR spins freely.
That sucks! Why would Porsche spec such a diff on the car when they know a majority of GT3 & RS owners will take their cars to the track with high frequency? I thought Preuninger and his team considered every aspect in developing the 997.2 RS. This seems a major oversight, and a systematic problem at that given other threads on the topic.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my 996-3 LSD replaced under cpo... I heard the dealer gets 10 hours of warranty pay for what amounts to about a 4 hour (iirc) job... so a smart service manager takes the job for free money and customer relations

I would buy the unit of choice (guard, os giken, etc) and try to work your local service manager to "replace it" and cover the labor and as an olive branch let him keep the new parts that warranty pays for... they can resell them... net net they get 6 hours of warranty labor and free LSD parts that equate to profit...

worth a try if your local svc mgr is flexible
Old 05-26-2010, 01:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

well sh*t, the way you drive pete!!
those are weak.
GT or motorsport is way to go.
chk your email
Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not surprised Pete. A new and improved LSD be it GT or OEM rebuild with GT inner like mine will fix the problem. Be cautious if your dealer is going to do the job. Make sure they have experienced tech that can shim after market LSD if you chose that route. Not ONE Porsche dealer in the Bay Area will touch after market LSD. Rebuild your OEM unit with GT inner is the cheapest route.

mooty, when are you going to fix your 6 GT3's LSD?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i learned to drive around it.
i never have problem stopping without LSD.
i just have to exit turns slower.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

of course, if you want to diy my lsd ;-)
Old 05-26-2010, 04:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd suggest getting the diff diagnosed and replaced under warranty. Then, put it in a box and put in a Guard diff and keep the Guard when you sell the car.

I wonder if the 24hr RS had diff trouble.

You're not inadvertently driving "Drift Spec" are you? (easy mistake, just checking ...)
Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

That Sucks!!!

I would have thought that after all of the issues with the last LSD that Porsche would have sorted this out.

How can you make a track focused car that can't handle the track??

What happened during the 24HR Nurburgring?? Did they upgrade the LSD for this event???
Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

No lsd did not bother me on the last GT3, but it adding CUP or Guard does make the car more stable and faster, I guess it's next on my list..
Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
well sh*t, the way you drive pete!!
those are weak.
GT or motorsport is way to go.
chk your email
Got it, thanks!

Originally Posted by mikymu
I am not surprised Pete. A new and improved LSD be it GT or OEM rebuild with GT inner like mine will fix the problem. Be cautious if your dealer is going to do the job. Make sure they have experienced tech that can shim after market LSD if you chose that route. Not ONE Porsche dealer in the Bay Area will touch after market LSD. Rebuild your OEM unit with GT inner is the cheapest route.
As usual, I loved your write-up! Thanks for that Mike! I am going with whatever Matt says is best for my situation.

My local dealer will do anything. Including ECU flashes, plenums, exhausts, full suspension mods, etc. He has also done a LOT of GT3 diffs and is well aware they are not durable. Super lucky to have such a knowledgeable and mod friendly dealer tech. Sharp, enthusiastic guy (Jess Lattin).

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'd suggest getting the diff diagnosed and replaced under warranty. Then, put it in a box and put in a Guard diff and keep the Guard when you sell the car.

I wonder if the 24hr RS had diff trouble.

You're not inadvertently driving "Drift Spec" are you? (easy mistake, just checking ...)
That is a good idea! Thanks Adam. I wonder on the 24 hours diff too? But how would we ever know? They wouldn't admit it.

No drift spec! Haha. Fun but slow.

Originally Posted by Condor Man
That Sucks!!!

I would have thought that after all of the issues with the last LSD that Porsche would have sorted this out.

How can you make a track focused car that can't handle the track??

What happened during the 24HR Nurburgring?? Did they upgrade the LSD for this event???
Agreed 100%, and I wonder too?

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3RS- LSD Shot