Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCA At monticello today...who was there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCA At monticello today...who was there?

met some great folk today at monticello.
great weather, great course, nice folk.

im a member so we get to hop in with the red and black groups. i ran my spec boxster S which is really just about one of the most fun cars i've ever raced and owned.

and then took out the 2010 GT3 RS. its white/red. just got it last week from the local dealership. had 2 1/2 miles on it when i picked it up. i twas pouring rain, took it to Rick Deman motorsport to put in the GMG cage and what not. Trailered it up to Monticello because i was taking up a couple of cars, and bang, miles 3 to 60 got pounded out in proper fashion.

to that end i had a couple of questions....ive searched the threads and there are all kinds of different threads and posts, but ill ask/bring it up again if you'd indulge me.

1. any dudes here attend? i met a couple of great guys with awsome machines and cool stories. one dude, excuse me, my brain doesnt seem to want to remember your name, had a wicked gorgeous gt3, took delivery in europe, got all the mechanics to sign the underside of the hood, and he was driving that thing awsome. lots of other great people as well. chime in.

2. i think that RS is lights out. granted, i race a boxster and cup car so i dont want to get too extreme, but on a curvy aggressive track like MMC, i didnt love the mspc tires very much. grating thru turns, choppy and unlike slicks. obviously.

a. who makes a good wheel for the 2010 RS (PCCBS, yeah dont ask) that is ready to go and capable without clearance issues or requiring unwanted adjustments to setup.?

b/ what slicks would you run?? i tend to like hoosiers on my boxster, though im chewing thru them at monticello probably every 2 1/2 days, or about 4,5 hours of driving, maybe 10 cycles.

c. didnt someone on the boards build a really slick device for threading into the wheels so when you remove them you dont whack the ceramic rotor?

Awsome day on the east coast. hope you guys enjoyed it.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there 6/25 with PDA but not today.

Bill
Old 05-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
met some great folk today at monticello.
great weather, great course, nice folk.

im a member so we get to hop in with the red and black groups. i ran my spec boxster S which is really just about one of the most fun cars i've ever raced and owned.

and then took out the 2010 GT3 RS. its white/red. just got it last week from the local dealership. had 2 1/2 miles on it when i picked it up. i twas pouring rain, took it to Rick Deman motorsport to put in the GMG cage and what not. Trailered it up to Monticello because i was taking up a couple of cars, and bang, miles 3 to 60 got pounded out in proper fashion.

to that end i had a couple of questions....ive searched the threads and there are all kinds of different threads and posts, but ill ask/bring it up again if you'd indulge me.

1. any dudes here attend? i met a couple of great guys with awsome machines and cool stories. one dude, excuse me, my brain doesnt seem to want to remember your name, had a wicked gorgeous gt3, took delivery in europe, got all the mechanics to sign the underside of the hood, and he was driving that thing awsome. lots of other great people as well. chime in.

2. i think that RS is lights out. granted, i race a boxster and cup car so i dont want to get too extreme, but on a curvy aggressive track like MMC, i didnt love the mspc tires very much. grating thru turns, choppy and unlike slicks. obviously.

a. who makes a good wheel for the 2010 RS (PCCBS, yeah dont ask) that is ready to go and capable without clearance issues or requiring unwanted adjustments to setup.?
b/ what slicks would you run?? i tend to like hoosiers on my boxster, though im chewing thru them at monticello probably every 2 1/2 days, or about 4,5 hours of driving, maybe 10 cycles.

c. didnt someone on the boards build a really slick device for threading into the wheels so when you remove them you dont whack the ceramic rotor?

Awsome day on the east coast. hope you guys enjoyed it.
The wheel manufacturers are slow to release a CL wheel.

right now shipping I think only:

- Forgeline
- CCW
- BBS
- Cargraphic
- GMG
- HRE

The following are working on a wheel:

- Champion
- Manthey
- DPE (or are they already shipping?)
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
FEKGT3
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve,
Great day at Monticello and nice to meet you. First time running with CVR and impressed with group. Moved up to black so next time I can try to see the RS up close in action!.
Look forward to next event as always.
Ted
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

The '10 RS looks great at the track..

I was there and it was fun.. I'm a newbie so only in the green run group.. but enjoyed the 2 days event there.. !

The fellow you met was Mike, aka, TeamDrugMoney.. his GT3RX is the one you are talking about.. !

Last edited by cfjan; 05-22-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 AM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on the new purchase. Good to see that you're having fun on the track!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

1. any dudes here attend? i met a couple of great guys with awsome machines and cool stories. one dude, excuse me, my brain doesnt seem to want to remember your name, had a wicked gorgeous gt3, took delivery in europe, got all the mechanics to sign the underside of the hood, and he was driving that thing awsome.
I believe that was TeamDrugMoney.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 AM
slavik
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was there both yesterday and Thursday
Nice to meet you Steve, Ted, and Mike and others.
Steve your RS and the rest of your collection is absolutely awesome!
Hopefully next time i will actually bring my car out
-Slavik-

Last edited by slavik; 05-22-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:32 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Steve was nice meeting you, I was the 'bigger' guy in the black tank in between the sessions, boy it got hot out there hah! Congrats again on your RS, your whole fleet of cars are just incredible ! The guy you met was Mike (teamdrugmoney) on here as other members posted!

Met some awesome people, as well as seeing some older faces! (Ted was great seeing you, has been a while)

Cfjan was great meeting you finally as well, ad to see you having fun in your newly acquired gt3!

And Mike, had a blast, see you and I'm sure some others at some events soon!

Martin
Old 05-22-2010, 08:57 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

bolted up there today, got there late as i had my sons' soccer all morning. but wow, what a sight. rolled in to watch a wicked 962 whomping it down the back straight at nearly 195 mph. the sound was ridiculous. the speed was insane.

there were all kinds of other great machines. as well as jim g's p4/5 quite the masterpiece.

i went out hard in the boxster S and got in a few nice battles with a few guys, and that was killer. then went atop the trailer to watch the 962 buzz around. ridiculous.
then i took out the cup car.

those cup cars are absurd as well. im just getting comfy with it, so everyting is a bit hectic for me in it. tough brakes, aggressive sequential shifting, wild noises.

i hopped back in the boxster and was running hard when my guy radio'd me that the 962 had just come on the track. 1/3 of a lap back. i went as hard as i could trying to see how long i could keep him off. about 3 laps later, i was told he was 2 turns back. on the long straight i could see him turning on as i was 1/2 way down the straight and i radio'd "aint lett him by me before this turn!!<G>" that didnt last. he was way back, and then, instnatly, he wasnt. the dude oculd drive. he barrelled into that chicane full mach 10 boogie. braked hard, and then swooped thru that chicane like nothing i'd seen from 15 feet trailing.

first thoughts "wow" second thoughts "wow" third thoughts "did i just really see that real time?" fourth thoughts "Smartycam dont fail me now"
but what a frickin' day.
ill try to get some photos on monday. going back up monday to work with Sam on the Cup Car. ill get the smarty vid and post it. hopefully it came out great. a 962 RIPPPPPPINNNNG past you in the brake zone for the chicane and just going away like a rocket..
what a day. this sport is just too much fun.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

one dude, excuse me, my brain doesnt seem to want to remember your name, had a wicked gorgeous gt3, took delivery in europe, got all the mechanics to sign the underside of the hood, and he was driving that thing awsome.

though im chewing thru them at monticello probably every 2 1/2 days, or about 4,5 hours of driving, maybe 10 cycles.
Hey Steve,

First and foremost, thanks for showing me the line at Monticello!!! No doubt it was heaps of help getting me around there faster. It was a lot of fun following you in your spec Boxster that you no doubt can very compitently drive. I was very impressed how you use ALL of the track where needed and run a fantastic line. No doubt that I have much to learn from you on braking later at Monticello at certain turns!!!

It was fantastic to run with you and chat car talk. No doubt you are appreciative of the Porsche scene. I also appreciate the ride in your new GT3 RS and was VERY impressed with the grip that thing had!!!

I am also somewhat glad to hear that you are running through Hoosiers quickly at Monticello. I corded both of my front tires and from your comments am blaming this on the track. I wonder if anybody else can add input to their experience on this.

In any event, hope we connect soon and can run again. I am guessing when you get that RS going you will be pulling away from me quite a bit with skill levels you have developed! I'll shoot you an email to connect

Mike
Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

bolted up there today, got there late as i had my sons' soccer all morning. but wow, what a sight. rolled in to watch a wicked 962 whomping it down the back straight at nearly 195 mph. the sound was ridiculous. the speed was insane.

there were all kinds of other great machines. as well as jim g's p4/5 quite the masterpiece.

i went out hard in the boxster S and got in a few nice battles with a few guys, and that was killer. then went atop the trailer to watch the 962 buzz around. ridiculous.
then i took out the cup car.

those cup cars are absurd as well. im just getting comfy with it, so everyting is a bit hectic for me in it. tough brakes, aggressive sequential shifting, wild noises.

i hopped back in the boxster and was running hard when my guy radio'd me that the 962 had just come on the track. 1/3 of a lap back. i went as hard as i could trying to see how long i could keep him off. about 3 laps later, i was told he was 2 turns back. on the long straight i could see him turning on as i was 1/2 way down the straight and i radio'd "aint lett him by me before this turn!!<G>" that didnt last. he was way back, and then, instnatly, he wasnt. the dude oculd drive. he barrelled into that chicane full mach 10 boogie. braked hard, and then swooped thru that chicane like nothing i'd seen from 15 feet trailing.

first thoughts "wow" second thoughts "wow" third thoughts "did i just really see that real time?" fourth thoughts "Smartycam dont fail me now"
but what a frickin' day.
ill try to get some photos on monday. going back up monday to work with Sam on the Cup Car. ill get the smarty vid and post it. hopefully it came out great. a 962 RIPPPPPPINNNNG past you in the brake zone for the chicane and just going away like a rocket..
what a day. this sport is just too much fun.

Now that sounds like fun. You said you were going to get up there for that and sure hope you can share pics or video or whatever else you have!!! Closing in on 200mph on the straight must be rediculous. Did you hear what kind of times he was running?

Ummmm, maybe you could get that video up this evening for us, that is if you really love us! ((laying on the guilt))
Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Steve, BTW the graphics on your Boxster are FANTASTIC!!! Here is the only pic I got of your car. It is pretty crappy, but at least others can see somewhat how it looks out there!!!

Name:  _MG_2259.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  43.8 KB
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

I was there too. First time at Monticelo and first time with CVR. Both are top notch. Great event.

As far as protection for the Ceramic Rotors, see if you can order a set of the protectors that ship with a Corvette ZR1. They work great.

2010 GT3, Basalt Black, Ceramics, Sport Chrono, NAV.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:16 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I took a few pics on the 1st day only (wish I got some pics of that RS!).. here's a couple for Mike and Martin.. !

The pics turned out okay, for a point-n-shoot!
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: PCA At monticello today...who was there?