Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 Market

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 07:56 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 297 Posts

Subjective indeed. 700 hp is achieved with simple bolt ons on 3.6 turbo mezger. And most around here think TPC is a pretty good shop.

first time I’ve ever seen plugs and fluids on a mod list. Interesting that exhaust is not on the list.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:33 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

I installed a new Europipe stage 2 on the car about 2 weeks before I traded it. Original exhaust was given with the car. Turbos are stock but inlet sides are honed out and have a larger impeller. Headers are now B&B. Intercoolers are a lot larger than stock as you can see in pics, TPC units.
Attached Images       

Last edited by CT944; 12-21-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:41 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CT944
Was mine most recently, happy to answer any questions.
thanks. Pm sent!
Old 12-21-2020, 11:50 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Heavily modified when I saw it last 6 years ago at San Francisco Sports Cars. Has 700+ hp and some other mods:
  • TPC Racing Blitzkreig turbo set
  • TPC Racing Blitzkreig turbo header set
  • TPC Racing intercooler set 127mm
  • Blitzkreig tune
  • Denso race plugs DPP
  • Redline racing fluids
  • TPC Racing GT3 toe rod set
  • DSC ecu
  • GT3RS rear lower control arm cup
  • Ramp set
  • Clutch pack
https://www.sanfranciscosportscars.c...997-gt2-c-484/
wow! I wonder what that was like to drive? Tpc has some pretty nice stuff by what I’ve read here. Wonder how that will affect long term reliability? I race a car with a mezger engine and it’s bullet proof but I’m not pushing hp anywhere near 700.

Any idea what I should pay for this one?
Old 12-22-2020, 10:36 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
wow! I wonder what that was like to drive? Tpc has some pretty nice stuff by what I’ve read here. Wonder how that will affect long term reliability? I race a car with a mezger engine and it’s bullet proof but I’m not pushing hp anywhere near 700......
How reliable long term this will be with these mods is largely a question of how it was tuned. You can hurt the engine with bone stock turbos if you aren't careful with the software. I would personally not consider this car “heavily modified”. Previous owner decided to keep the rare and desirable stock GT2 turbos, addressing their bottlenecks, rather than swapping out to larger VTG’s or Xonas, which is what many 997TT owners are doing these days.

The bigger intercoolers are a welcome improvement to any .1 GT2 and help keep things cool and reliable regardless of level of tune.

The headers probably don’t add anything at this power level.

If they are the correct Densos gapped properly, they are superior to the OEM plugs, and a good move.

Redline racing fluids you might want to swap out for OEM, not sure about that.

Most everyone prefers something other than the stock exhaust, and we all know the stock clutch is prone to slipping with anything over stock power levels.

700 at the crank is maybe a little optimistic for this setup, but not too far off if you are optimistic or round it up a bit. This setup is probably realistically good for ~675 (~575 at the wheels) if tuned conservatively. More if you push the limits, which could get you into trouble. Remember, the .2 GT2RS was conservatively factory rated at 620 at the crank. Its really about the tune here.

The following users liked this post:
TB993tt (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:47 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

The Blitzkreig 775 engine mod package claims + 200lb/ft of torque which would put the engine at 960NM.

960NM would destroy a stock engine in short order but since this torque number will have been measured by a relatively low loading rolling road it is likely a lot less real torque at the crank, probably more like 850NM which is plenty for the GT2, anything more than this and traction is pretty horrible.

I'd be interested what the power delivery is like, these VTG engines are difficult to ECU tune properly.

One other point, I noticed a few of the GT2 pics on this thread have the GT2RS front splitter but the stock rear spoiler splitter, this gives unbalanced aero, you shouldn't be taking it over 100 to be safe

Old 12-22-2020, 01:17 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mchrono
How reliable long term this will be with these mods is largely a question of how it was tuned. You can hurt the engine with bone stock turbos if you aren't careful with the software. I would personally not consider this car “heavily modified”. Previous owner decided to keep the rare and desirable stock GT2 turbos, addressing their bottlenecks, rather than swapping out to larger VTG’s or Xonas, which is what many 997TT owners are doing these days.

The bigger intercoolers are a welcome improvement to any .1 GT2 and help keep things cool and reliable regardless of level of tune.

The headers probably don’t add anything at this power level.

If they are the correct Densos gapped properly, they are superior to the OEM plugs, and a good move.

Redline racing fluids you might want to swap out for OEM, not sure about that.

Most everyone prefers something other than the stock exhaust, and we all know the stock clutch is prone to slipping with anything over stock power levels.

700 at the crank is maybe a little optimistic for this setup, but not too far off if you are optimistic or round it up a bit. This setup is probably realistically good for ~675 (~575 at the wheels) if tuned conservatively. More if you push the limits, which could get you into trouble. Remember, the .2 GT2RS was conservatively factory rated at 620 at the crank. Its really about the tune here.
definitely agree with intercoolers and exhaust. I had a stage 2 europipe in my 2001 turbo way back in 2003 and loved that sound. The intercoolers are welcome also here in SoCal. Prevent heat soak.

‘I guess what I’m trying to weigh is a rare color vs the fairly common whites, blacks and silvers. If the car was guards red or polar silver, either in this iteration or the 996, I would probably be negotiating the deal right now.

‘just took my 3rs in for service today and loved my short little drive in it. I’ve had a lot of fun with that car on the track and the street

Old 12-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 325 Posts

I shared this 997.2 GT2 RS video to my social media and wanted to make sure you guys got to see it too, as Matt Farah was recently invited by AP himself to drive the 'greatest hits' collection.

vtgt (12-22-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 02:23 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 587 Likes on 260 Posts

Anyone see this car?

https://www.flemingtonaudi.com/all-i...dyStyle=Coupe#

midnight blue. Says it’s the only one made in this color. I’m looking for one and if anyone knows the history of this car would be very helpful.

also, interested in a 2009 or any car that is not black, Arctic or white. Would love to hear back from you.

interested in Steve’s comments about 2 vs 3rs. I have the latter and love it. Tracked it a bunch and now looking for it’s big brother.
Car no longer in their site. Hopefully a RLer is now enjoying it!
Old 12-28-2020, 02:48 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 325 Posts

interested in Steve’s comments about 2 vs 3rs. I have the latter and love it. Tracked it a bunch and now looking for it’s big brother.
So sorry as I initially missed your comment asking about my comments until I just saw your original quote being quoted today in a new response.

Although I've owned the GT3RS much longer (7.5 years) than the GT2 (1.5 years), I've driven the GT2 across more different conditions including some track work. Their characters are quite different but obviously the feel behind the wheel from a chassis dynamics standpoint feels pretty similar. You can drive the GT2 quite lazy in contrast to the 3RS due to all the torque on tap, but the 3RS is ultimately more of a visceral and fun 'dance' partner as it always wants to remind you how responsive it is to your inputs.

The 3RS is much more vocal and playful in my experience, and that is an overwhelming attribute that cannot be overcome by the GT2's outright speed. In my own 60-130 mph data-logging the 2 is a full 1.5 seconds faster (stock versus stock), but never feels more engaging to drive as the 3RS. As any 3RS owner knows, once you clear about 5000 RPM there is little else that can compare to the epic siren song of the GT3! The car feels alive at any speed and is the absolute perfect blend of analog character and modern technology. It is truly PEAK 911.

I would scream it from the highest mountain tops that the 3RS is the cure for depression, and it is also the very last car I'd ever sell. I love it the most, and it's my favorite 'child', but the 2 is a wonderful and even rarer creation that is faster and somewhat easier to live with. To that end, I drive my GT2 year round but the GT3 RS only in the 'nicer' driving months. I hope that helps a bit.
Turbo Racer (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 02:51 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Right now seems there are a lot of people searching for GT2s. Has even been some recent discussion on the regular 997 forums. Don't see the same level of serious (im actually searching for one) interest in the GT2RS and actually more GT2RS’ than GT2s available on the market right now. I have to think the price delta between the two models will continue to narrow.
Steve Theodore (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 05:54 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
So sorry as I initially missed your comment asking about my comments until I just saw your original quote being quoted today in a new response.

Although I've owned the GT3RS much longer (7.5 years) than the GT2 (1.5 years), I've driven the GT2 across more different conditions including some track work. Their characters are quite different but obviously the feel behind the wheel from a chassis dynamics standpoint feels pretty similar. You can drive the GT2 quite lazy in contrast to the 3RS due to all the torque on tap, but the 3RS is ultimately more of a visceral and fun 'dance' partner as it always wants to remind you how responsive it is to your inputs.

The 3RS is much more vocal and playful in my experience, and that is an overwhelming attribute that cannot be overcome by the GT2's outright speed. In my own 60-130 mph data-logging the 2 is a full 1.5 seconds faster (stock versus stock), but never feels more engaging to drive as the 3RS. As any 3RS owner knows, once you clear about 5000 RPM there is little else that can compare to the epic siren song of the GT3! The car feels alive at any speed and is the absolute perfect blend of analog character and modern technology. It is truly PEAK 911.

I would scream it from the highest mountain tops that the 3RS is the cure for depression, and it is also the very last car I'd ever sell. I love it the most, and it's my favorite 'child', but the 2 is a wonderful and even rarer creation that is faster and somewhat easier to live with. To that end, I drive my GT2 year round but the GT3 RS only in the 'nicer' driving months. I hope that helps a bit.
thanks Steve. The gt3rs is truly special. I have had mine coming up on 4 years. I had a 2011 turbo s that I sold after 6 months of ownership. Was a great car and I miss it but think I would miss it more if it were a 6-speed.

with me, it’s always which cars not singular car do I want next. My wife has come up with some ridiculous rule that if I buy a car I have to sell a car.

Sigh. Rules are meant to be broken. lol.

at any rate, I’ve always wanted a gt2 of any iteration. With the covid and all, I’m just sitting around all day picking my a$s and thinking about what’s next and think I’d like to add to my collection but there isn’t a car out there that I feel excited about. The meteor gray one looked nice until one of the guys pointed out the original air intake had been switched out for a turbo one and was sold at mecum for $120k and now they are flipping it. There’s a story in there. And I’m tired of hearing about stories lol.

so, the search goes on. Still worried that there’s going to be a downturn in the economy next year once the covid stuff catches up with the markets and my own neurosis keeps me from wondering about that.

with that said, I would still like a car in polar silver, red, or another interesting color or a 2019. I guess I will have to wait and see.

as far as tracking the car, I would be afraid to. I tracked the gt3rs a lot and considered myself lucky that I didn’t have any off track excursions. I now have a dedicated track car and I enjoy that a great deal. So this car will be a canyon carver and a fun car around town.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:44 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

May I suggest that you consider a 05-06 Ford GT? Just bought one and it provides a completely different experience than any car I've owned before. VERY fun car to drive.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

thanks Steve. The gt3rs is truly special. I have had mine coming up on 4 years. I had a 2011 turbo s that I sold after 6 months of ownership. Was a great car and I miss it but think I would miss it more if it were a 6-speed.

with me, it’s always which cars not singular car do I want next. My wife has come up with some ridiculous rule that if I buy a car I have to sell a car.

Sigh. Rules are meant to be broken. lol.

at any rate, I’ve always wanted a gt2 of any iteration. With the covid and all, I’m just sitting around all day picking my a$s and thinking about what’s next and think I’d like to add to my collection but there isn’t a car out there that I feel excited about. The meteor gray one looked nice until one of the guys pointed out the original air intake had been switched out for a turbo one and was sold at mecum for $120k and now they are flipping it. There’s a story in there. And I’m tired of hearing about stories lol.

so, the search goes on. Still worried that there’s going to be a downturn in the economy next year once the covid stuff catches up with the markets and my own neurosis keeps me from wondering about that.

with that said, I would still like a car in polar silver, red, or another interesting color or a 2019. I guess I will have to wait and see.

as far as tracking the car, I would be afraid to. I tracked the gt3rs a lot and considered myself lucky that I didn’t have any off track excursions. I now have a dedicated track car and I enjoy that a great deal. So this car will be a canyon carver and a fun car around town.
Shark (03-15-2021)
Old 12-28-2020, 07:43 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgorscak
May I suggest that you consider a 05-06 Ford GT? Just bought one and it provides a completely different experience than any car I've owned before. VERY fun car to drive.

Sorry to hijack this thread.
will do. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:16 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

......so, the search goes on. Still worried that there’s going to be a downturn in the economy next year once the covid stuff catches up with the markets.....
There was an interesting article yesterday about what the economy is doing and where its heading which may help explain what we have seen with GT2 and other asset values during the pandemic and what investors should buy next. Essentially, the dollar is devaluing, but the value of assets remain the same, so it will cost more dollars to buy your GT2 as its expected we will be in an "inflationary boom" come 2021.

Steve Theodore (12-28-2020)

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Market