Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First Drive of RS & Review on the Road Vs MK2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts
Default First Drive of RS & Review on the Road Vs MK2 RS

I was lucky enough to spend the day driving the Press Car on the road in Melbourne today. No customer orders have come through yet. (I know that we are miles behind) And I thought that I would outline my thoughts Vs the standard MK2 GT3.

Colour
Firstly, I was keen to see the car as it was in Grey with Red and although I had seen a number of photos I had never seen one in person. Under bright light from the side view, the combo was not as eye catching as the MK1 RS's. From the rear it looks stunning and in darker light it was better than bright light. Would I order this combo. "No" is the short answer. I just didn't think that it gels together well, nor do I think that it will be a big seller in years to come once all this Fad Grey becomes past news. (I apologise to the guys who have this combo).

Body
The flared front arches gives the car a more aggressive presence and I really liked the synergy between the indicator lights. I have never really been a fan of the rear uprights in photos, however with the gorgeously shaped carbon fiber rear wing and coloured side plates it provides a stunning package that is appropriate for an RS!!

Internally
Very similar to standard GT3, however the RS 3.8 cues are a great touch as are the red door pulls. Furthermore, I loved the red Cage which also looked the business. The alcantara Steering wheel with the yellow centre marking felt great in hand whilst driving, however it has a rather large radius, which is a little confusing as to why.....

Sound
The titanium exhaust has a touch more punch and noise than the GT3, which is amplified by rear plastic window. 2nd Gear 4,000 - 8,000rpm (Oh my God!! I've died and gone to heaven) is a beautiful sound and I found myself accelerating hard off and then on again in 2nd gear just to hear this note. The sound is further amplified when you are driving past shops or buildings which bounces the note back in the cabin!! Tunnel blasting would become extremely addictive.

The Drive!!
At first I felt that the rear was far too easy to provoke than the standard GT3, especially under hard acceleration in 1st & 2nd whilst cornering and requiring opposite lock for correction rather than software to save your backside.

The increased power and the shorter ratio box most likely added to the wheel spin and it appeared to have a more relaxed traction control system. For the more experienced driver, this will provide hours of tail sliding entertainment, even with the traction on!! In the wet you would have to be a brave person to turn off TC!!

The grip in the front was a completely different story altogether. The front felt as though it had too much grip!! At times the car felt like it was tramlining, like a 996GT3RS and I certainly didn't feel this in the standard GT3. This is no doubt due to the massive front tyres which may be over sized for this vehicle.... Having stated this, I can see myself adjusting the setup on day one to sort this issue out.

On the flip side, I felt that the standard GT3 felt more nimble in tight corners and therefore easier to drive on the limit. Fundementally in the GT3 the front and the rear felt perfectly balanced which provided more fun especially on the road. Having stated this, I would assume that the RS would feel better on the track. Especially considering that the car did not absorb the bumps as well as the standard GT3, and I would not recomend the suspension to be ever turned to stiff, that is unlesss you are on a smooth racing track.

The single mass flywheel chatter was an odd chatter that was completely different to that of a Cup car. It almost sounded as though a piece of plastic had come lose in the tail of the car. This would be easy to get used to.

The brakes were epic and the extra width on the front tyres no doubt provided a larger surface patch to pull the car up. They were absolutely Awesome!

The Verdict
I have read a number of articles on the RS and they all end with the same line. Save the extra money and buy the standard GT3. So do I agree???

Yep!! The standard GT3 is very, very hard to beat!! Especially if you have a budget that you would prefer to stick to. The underlying arguement here is simply that the RS is 20% more in price, and after having driven the RS I was left feeling that the drive was not worth 20% more.

Having stated this, the RS isn't just about the drive, it's about the whole RS experience!! Those bright wheels, the decals, the racing heritage and the adrenalin you feel when you approach this vehicle.....

It's about knowing that you own a piece of Porsche history, a vehicle that is at the top of the Porsche tree, there is no better! This is the best version of GT3which is the best 911 ever made, and the 911 is the best sports car on the planet!!

For those that long for the best, the standard GT3 will always make you hunger for an RS and for those that have purchased the RS you can be truly satisfied that this is the one......
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

So when you change your order from the RS to the regular GT3, let me know so I can do the same. Otherwise I'll have to take the RS!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 ...Already did Twice.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to read your opinions on the RS.

I view the RS in a similar way to the manner in which I view high end audio equipment. You reach a certain level (GT3 / very good AV equipment) where spending more doesn't give you the same incremental percentage in improvement over the already excellent product. In other words, the law of diminishing returns starts to take over.

Is the RS 20% better than the GT3 - probably not because the GT3 is already a brilliant and capable car; however, there are two points to be made.

1) the gap between the 997.2 RS and the 997.2 GT3 is wider than between the 997 RS and the 997 GT3 - so the gap is greater than it was on the first generations.

2) I had a 997 RS on order - and passed on it because I couldn't get my head around why it was 20% more than the GT3... and do you know what, I've regretted the decision ever since. Sometimes it isn't about percentages and the difference between X or Y but rather what pulls on the heart strings. There is something special about the RS and the 997.2 gives me the chance to experience it without regret.

If it was simply about the money and bang-for-the-buck, there are cheaper ways to go fast than both the GT3 and the RS; therefore, we all have succumbed to their charms and in our own ways know it is the intangibles, that are hard to put into words, that have led us to our GT purchases.

Last edited by E4VLL; 05-10-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: word correction
Old 05-10-2010, 01:13 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by E4VLL
2) I had a 997 RS on order - and passed on it because I couldn't get my head around why it was 20% more than the GT3... and do you know what, I've regretted the decision ever since. Sometimes it isn't about percentages and the difference between X or Y but rather what pulls on the heart strings. There is something special about the RS and the 997.2 gives me the chance to experience it without regret.
+1

If I had an Orange RS.1, it would be the last car I purchased in a long, long time. I love my Red GT3, but I still lust after an Orange RS... I wish I had gone for the RS and saved myself the future hassle of switching cars.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
The Verdict
I have read a number of articles on the RS and they all end with the same line. Save the extra money and buy the standard GT3. So do I agree???
Great review!

But all the articles that I've read said the RS is well worth the extra price over the GT3, an excellent car on its own.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I also read the same Targa Tim that the RS.2 is one of the greatest Porsche road cars of all time so far. There is a bigger gap in price between ver2 of the GT3 and RS because there is more of a difference between the two cars spec wise as said by E4Vll.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:23 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even the Mk 1 GT3 is quite good especially for majority of drivers skill level. Indeed owning an RS is about the whole 'RS' experience.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Riz
So when you change your order from the RS to the regular GT3, let me know so I can do the same. Otherwise I'll have to take the RS!
Sounds like we will both be driving RS's then!!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by E4VLL
Interesting to read your opinions on the RS.

I view the RS in a similar way to the manner in which I view high end audio equipment. You reach a certain level (GT3 / very good AV equipment) where spending more doesn't give you the same incremental percentage in improvement over the already excellent product. In other words, the law of diminishing returns starts to take over.

Is the RS 20% better than the GT3 - probably not because the GT3 is already a brilliant and capable car; however, there are two points to be made.

1) the gap between the 997.2 RS and the 997.2 GT3 is wider than between the 997 RS and the 997 GT3 - so the gap is greater than it was on the first generations.

If it was simply about the money and bang-for-the-buck, there are cheaper ways to go fast than both the GT3 and the RS; therefore, we all have succumbed to their charms and in our own ways know it is the intangibles, that are hard to put into words, that have led us to our GT purchases.
+1 and full agreeance from my end.

I think that like me, many people would have scratched their heads as to why the 996 RS and 997 MK1 RS wasn't more powerful than the standard GT3.

At last Porsche has sorted this issue plus adding some extras for good measure, such as;

1) More Power
2) Lower ratio gearbox
3) Lighter
4) Titanium exhaust
5) Dynamic engine mounts
6) Wider front track.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fc-racer
+1

If I had an Orange RS.1, it would be the last car I purchased in a long, long time. I love my Red GT3, but I still lust after an Orange RS... I wish I had gone for the RS and saved myself the future hassle of switching cars.
Who are we kidding???

There's always going to be a new RS on the horizon with more power, better drive, faster time at the Ring.......

This disease is never ending! We need help!!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Great review!

But all the articles that I've read said the RS is well worth the extra price over the GT3, an excellent car on its own.
Originally Posted by Riz
I also read the same Targa Tim that the RS.2 is one of the greatest Porsche road cars of all time so far. There is a bigger gap in price between ver2 of the GT3 and RS because there is more of a difference between the two cars spec wise as said by E4Vll.
I stand corrected.

Not all the articles that I have read have stated this, however at least 50% have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1ud...eature=related

Car (Aussie Motor) Magazine - Georg Kacher When concluding on the RS V the Superleggera.

The Winner? Take the Porsche if you are brave enough. Or Good enough. Take the Lambo if it fits your style. In terms of overall competence, both contenders score a solid 10. In terms of value for money, however, you may be better off with a base GT3 and a lower-frills 560-4. Quite a bit better, in fact.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM
MGS996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MGS996
Great write up.
Thanks Mark
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Condor Man

This disease is never ending! We need help!!
That we do!

Quick Reply: First Drive of RS & Review on the Road Vs MK2 RS