Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 RS Pics. Ferraris and Friends. Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikymu
Great pictures Pete and I can't wait to get back out there. Were you able to improve your time or too many slow traffic to go fast? Any videos?

Mike
Thanks! We will meet up eventually! lol I took the back way through the orchards this time. Easy peazy.

Videos later today.

My GG PCA TT of 3 weeks ago was 2:10.6. This DE I was running consistent 2:07,08 and 09. So yes, making headway I guess. B group was impossible to do anything. C group however was paradise and where I turned my best times chasing the faster guys and letting them chase me.

There are several turn sequences where I can pull away from most everyone in group and other turns where I am leaving a lot on the table. But that is the fun of Driver Education right? Perfecting the laps.

The Cups seem to be wearing better as they wear off. I am now much closer to the perfect combo of camber/tire pressures/balance. Used my needle pyrometer to quantify some variables.

A bit more push to dial out and I think it will be perfect.

Lawjdc2 (Doug) was there with his GT3 and is a very fast fellow!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:43 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Thanks! We will meet up eventually! lol I took the back way through the orchards this time. Easy peazy.

Videos later today.

My GG PCA TT of 3 weeks ago was 2:10.6. This DE I was running consistent 2:07,08 and 09. So yes, making headway I guess. B group was impossible to do anything. C group however was paradise and where I turned my best times chasing the faster guys and letting them chase me.

There are several turn sequences where I can pull away from most everyone in group and other turns where I am leaving a lot on the table. But that is the fun of Driver Education right? Perfecting the laps.

The Cups seem to be wearing better as they wear off. I am now much closer to the perfect combo of camber/tire pressures/balance. Used my needle pyrometer to quantify some variables.

A bit more push to dial out and I think it will be perfect.

Lawjdc2 (Doug) was there with his GT3 and is a very fast fellow!
Wow Pete, 2:07 is a fast time at TH consider you only been there couple times! I think your time will significantly improve if you have stickier tires. I don't have much luck with PS cup tires. Yes, chasing each other is the fun part as you can see from my video below when I mixed it up with a Lotus. He is much faster on tight corners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmY72s-TZlE
Old 04-17-2010, 01:08 PM
jurbina
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outstanding! Thanks.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

That is the best looking RS I have ever seen! SHEESH!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:11 PM
speedoflight
Racer

that is one very happy rs right there.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedoflight

RV bug and tar is great for dissolving those bugs and paint/plastic friendly -- don't remove them with "elbow grease."
Old 04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by speedoflight
Hehe.. you know I did that just to provoke the bubble wrappers? I bet it brought some to tears...

Now that I have had a chance to process and review some video, I actually ran a 2:06. The last two runs I did not video because my video system was acting up, but there is a good chance I had a 2:05 in there.

I think turn 7 and especially Turn 8 are my nemesis, and to a lesser degree turn 1, when I get those perfected, I will pick up some huge time. I feel super comfortable with all the rest.

Here is a 2:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ny-VcR9A_8
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Adding to the list of weird things happen at inopportune times:

Watch my upper right leg at :04. I thought someone threw a turtle at me , but that would be the B-pillar mounted, passenger side, shoulder belt height adjuster nestling itself under my foot coming off the front straight braking hard from over 130mph

Thought it prudent to pull into the hot pit so as to loosen the shoulder harness so I could reach down and place it in the glove box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDdM7BXLqBE

Last edited by savyboy; 04-18-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Way to use it!!!

I like the race suit too.. What is it?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
You know it is true Mike. The poor garage queens, so sterile and forlorn looking. The car in the wild doing what it was born to do really brings out all the layers of its beauty.

And running braless and fully unprotected!

Mooty threatened in a private IM to leave his incoming RS unprotected and allow it to aquire, in his words, a track "patina". My checkered flag decals have scuff marks from the rubber thrown up from the track and it looks fantastic.

Got to get some pics of it washed but carrying the "war wounds". That would be pretty.
Saw these pictures and it reminded me of Tahoe. Lived in Reno for about 18 months up until Halloween of of 2008.

Are you up in Tahoe or down the hill as you just barely start to go up Mount Rose?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 007DT
Way to use it!!! I like the race suit too.. What is it?
Thanks for the kind comments! Suit, helmet and rest of safety gear is all Stand21 USA. Mathieu and Valentin down in Costa Mesa are awesome! I can't recommend them with any more enthusiasm. Suit is very comfortable. Better pic below. I ordered the gear last December knowing I would need it this year.

Lightweight helmet and HANS result in no neck muscle pain even after 2-3 consecutive track days.

If you are going to drive track at speed, in a street legal race car, then I think it smart to be a safe as possible yes? Folks spending $$$ for all kinds of go-fast stuff and no harness, no roll bar, no fire suit. Makes no sense?

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Saw these pictures and it reminded me of Tahoe. Lived in Reno for about 18 months up until Halloween of of 2008.

Are you up in Tahoe or down the hill as you just barely start to go up Mount Rose?
Oh, cool! Mt. Rose highway up in Galena Forest area. Best of all possible worlds. Trees, shade, good air, various critters. Wife and I made the escape from California last March. Love it over here for so many different reasons.

Did I mention NO state income tax?
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikymu
Yes, chasing each other is the fun part as you can see from my video below when I mixed it up with a Lotus. He is much faster on tight corners
That is so cool to watch another GT3 drivers line. We have to compare lines using video when we meet up! I see areas where you are leaving a lot on the table, and other areas where you look much faster then me.

I don't think a Lotus should be passing a well driven GT3 even in the corners? Different days, cars and drivers, but I am always passing and leaving behind the Loti.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:39 PM
jenk12m
Banned

great pics and glad to see your enjoying your car
Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

awesome!

Great to see an RS being used for what it was built for!!

Kudos to you and im jealous!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:06 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Love the pictures, that car looks so sweet!
I was one of the few that actually kind of liked the graphics, and I'm liking them more and more... especially your colour scheme. Really sets it apart from the GT3's.

Quick Reply: 2010 RS Pics. Ferraris and Friends. Thunderhill