Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
GTR was a good car.
you know like datsun 510 and 240z.
then 240 ate too much got fat and old 280 2+2, 300zx .....
much like M3, e30m3 was real, e36m3 was made to stroke american mkt. e46 tolerable, e90.... i much rather just drive my GMC.

GTR is a great car, just not for me.
Can't the same arguement be made for a 911. Put a 73 911 side by side with a mid 80's then a 993 and a 997.

Btw I agree with your last comment - GTR is a very capable car but I wouldn't buy one.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 PM
rpalomo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTR is amazing for doing what it does for so much cheaper...even on the last video i posted here on this thread..even if its an older video it shows what they were able to do with the GTR vs a Turbo 997..im sure the 997 turbo is much better then before but they had to make changes due to the fact that cars like the GTR were coming around...i wonder what the GTR will be like in their next release...

Dont get me wrong, i love porsche and i own one..but i want a GTR too would love to own both
Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

The GTR is obviously a fast and capable car. Despite it's "long" history, it's production has been sporadic and it certainly not crossed continents in the manner of the Porsche.

As far as performance I remember reading in one of the Euro magazines recently, maybe it was EVO, a comparison of the 10 GT3 and the GTR. Same driver at Nurburgring. The GT3 had the faster lap time by a few tenths.

Someone help me out here, I can't find a copy of the magazine.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Big Jock
Instructor

Default GT3 or GTR

Engineering my friends is what its about and IMO old Ferdinand is the master.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Can't the same arguement be made for a 911. Put a 73 911 side by side with a mid 80's then a 993 and a 997.

Btw I agree with your last comment - GTR is a very capable car but I wouldn't buy one.
yes the comment is true with EVERY car.
they start great, then get fat... hum.. that applies to me too.

gen 1 miata was one of the BEST car ever made regardless of price. the current miata...blah....

e30M3 that's a race motor. e90... well...

73RS and 997RS

but GTR seems to progressed to modernity much faster than archaic german brands.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by KBS911
The GTR is obviously a fast and capable car. Despite it's "long" history, it's production has been sporadic and it certainly not crossed continents in the manner of the Porsche.

As far as performance I remember reading in one of the Euro magazines recently, maybe it was EVO, a comparison of the 10 GT3 and the GTR. Same driver at Nurburgring. The GT3 had the faster lap time by a few tenths.

Someone help me out here, I can't find a copy of the magazine.
Actually gtr was quicker on the nur ring test(2sec) while slower on the Hockenheim test track(0.3sec).
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 PM
FLM911
Racer

I couldnt own a car where the warranty is voided for just driving on a track, let alone i might actually want to carry out a few upgrades like changing the brake fluid...

From Nissan:2010 GTR Exclusions and Limitations to Manufacturers Warranty

Please read your GT-R Warranty Information Booklet carefully. The Nissan GT-R warranty provides you with extensive coverage when the vehicle is operated in accordance with the Owner's Manual. The warranty includes a number of other specific conditions, exclusions and limitations, which include (but are not limited to) exclusions due to failures resulting from:

Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner's Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow;

Not adhering to the service and maintenance requirements set out in the Nissan GT-R Owner's Manual and the Service and Maintenance Guide, including failures resulting from the use of non-Genuine Nissan Parts or required or recommended fluids;

Improper repairs or services rendered at facilities other than Nissan Certified GT-R dealerships;

Failing to have the Performance Optimization Services completed in a timely manner;

Genuine Nissan Parts not intended for use on the GT-R, including NSMO parts not specifically designed and manufactured for application to the GT-R, or any non-Genuine Nissan Parts;

Replacing a GT-R special specification part with a non-GT-R special specification part (see GT-R Owner's Manual for the list of GT-R special specification parts);

Operating the GT-R on a dynamometer, except a dynamometer test performed to comply with applicable local law for emissions testing.

Additionally, some modifications will VOID your GT-R New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage. Read your warranty information booklet carefully for specific details of all terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions.

---------
Wow. Imagine if Porsche (or Ferrari, or Lotus etc) said you couldn't track your car....
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
^ GTR will probably eat up most GT3's as well. but being faster isn't always "better".
only the driver/buyer can decide that.
Exactly. I went from a 7GT3 to a GTR. GTR may be fast but not as enjoyable as a GT3. I'm going back...

Last edited by silverboy; 04-14-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The GTR was produced from 1969-74, then after a 15 year hiatus, from 1989-2002, and finally the newest version from 2007-present. Thus, a "mere" 21 year production timeline. Though it's been through multiple major cosmetic overhauls, the current example is still as ugly as they come.

The 911 has been in continuos production since September, 1964. If you park a 1964 model next to a 2010 model, you can clearly see a family resemblance. Try doing that with the GTR.

Nothing against it, it's a great car, particularly for the price. It just doesn't do it for me.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:33 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Nothing against it, it's a great car, particularly for the price. It just doesn't do it for me.
+1. And SERIOUSLY ugly, and pig-heavy to boot.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
epik
6th Gear

The Bruno Senna 5th gear segment is way old but the updated 997.2 TT still lost a video comparison at Autocar. The GTR managed to outpace it on the lap slightly and the V10 R8 a bit more behind.

Chris Harris and EVO have recently put up another video comparison between the three and says it's a close one between the new 997.2 Turbo and the GTR but if it was his choice, he'd take the GTR. They also had a piece in their latest magazine about it concluded the GTR just a has a special feel about it that the Turbo and R8 can seem to match and that it's the driver's car. The R8 was the only one with a manual and got 9 stars whereas the Turbo and GTR both got 10.

For track use and pure enjoyment on good traffic-free roads the GT3 RS is my favorite but the GTR is a close second and would be easier to live with. The Turbo is too soft on the other hand and the slight lag is annoying.

Some good Walter Rohrl vids on how he prefers NA for track use but Turbo for the roads and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/motortre.../0/IimssB9B8ds
Old 05-01-2010, 06:36 PM
HKE46Boy
Rennlist Member

I have a buddy is looking to sell his R35 Premium for 63.5k (white, CA car), title on hand, PM me for detail.

Quick Reply: GT3 traded for GTR