Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by almeena58
can we have picture of this tool "997 450 323 90"
I haven't seen it. I did get it priced from Porsche Motorsports at around $2200. I'm told it's a Hazet. I don't see the actual unit from Porsche or Hazet on the Web, but I imagine it's a bit like the attached pic.

I imagine the Porsche application-specific tool has the torque reaction arm neatly rest against the wheel with a rubber cover.

You might have noticed my other posts on using the Armstrong Torque Multiplier -- it's torque arm rests against the ground. Very tidy. Takes up space though. Between any given torque wrench (half inch or three-quarter) and a breaker bar, it all takes up space. If Porsche had thought it through, there could be a nice spot right between the front wheels for the lot. Ho hum. By the way, using the Armstrong tool, once the wheel nut is finger tight, it requires about six or seven 1/4 turns of a ratcheting torque wrench to bring the nut up to the spec torque.

http://www.hazet.de/en.html

http://www.hazet.de/en/products/illu...list-2010.html

http://www.hazet.de/uploads/tx_d3mli...age=4&view=Fit

ref:
Porsche Part Numbers
https://rennlist.com/forums/7563354-post4.html
Porsche Breaker Bar
https://rennlist.com/forums/7472944-post11.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/7490486-post26.html
Armstrong Torque Multiplier on an RS front wheel
https://rennlist.com/forums/7592199-post12.html
Video illustrating finger-only force required to exert required torque : )
https://rennlist.com/forums/7592222-post13.html
Armstrong Torque Multiplier info
https://rennlist.com/forums/7592521-post16.html
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 PM
atleung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
For those of you getting the precision instruments one and not having a lot of force in your arms.
You can order:
1 ADAPTOR A10C4D600F $41.70
2 EXTENSION TUBE TQR600-6 $33.34

And this gives you the parts needed to replace the last part of the torque wrench with a normal extension bar so it gives you the same length for releasing as for tightening.
Thanks for the info. I called Ari from Precision Instruments customer service. She passed me to Todd, the sales manager. Todd said these parts would not work. The extension is just the middle piece of the 3-piece torque wrench, and the adapter is the black section of the head. Todd said they would not work as an extension. He suggested I simply find a heavy tube to either put inside or outside of the middle piece to create additional leverage. As long as I leave the handle piece off and the tube I use is heavy duty enough so it won't break, it will serve the purpose.

Also, FYI to those who have the Precision Instrument torque wrench, you should know it makes a difference how the extension tube is connected to the head. One side says CW (clockwise), the other side says CCW. I tried to torque my wheels one time but couldn't after many tries. Evidently, I put the tube on backwards. I am sure it would have been perfectly obvious had I cracked open the instructions manual. Once assembled properly, as TRAKAR has stated, it took almost no effort to tighten the CLs. Absolutely no need for a torque multiplier. Maybe a torque multiplier would save space but probably not by much. The other reason I did not go the torque multiplier route is I am nervous about the imprecision. It seems even the good ones are only accurate to +/- 5%. Compound that with the inaccuracy of the "normal" torque wrench you are using as input, you don't know how far off 370ft/lb you really are.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

i was very worried how this thing would work.
now that i have the car and the tq wrench it's very easy.
the "HANDLE" part with the calibration readout can only be connected to middle section ONE way. you can't mess up.
once HANDLE is connected to MID section, the head is connected such that the socket should be on the opposite side of the HANDLES read out gauge. what i mean is when you get the wrench on the wheel, the gauge must be facing AWAY from the car. if the gauge is facing the car, it's wrong.

you can EASILY torque to 370 lb/ft if you are over 150 lbs in body wt. hell my wife at 120 did it.

to take the wheel off, i put 2x or wheel chock around the wheel, tranny in neutral, hand brake fully engaged, take the gauge section off, so you only have the head and midsection, flip the little switch on the head so you can crank it to loosen the wheel nut. it takes some effort but really, i cannot curl more than 40#, i had no problem loosening the wheel nuts. so i dont know what's the problem everyone seem to have? maybe i missed something? for ref, i am pretty small, 5'9 175 lbs.

now if you are a tool nut then that's different, i can see why someone would like to have a well constructed and machined multiplier in tool chest. i may get the armstrong piece that CGT posted. it looked very sexy, not that i know how to use it. but it is not mandatory. all you need is just the prescison tq wrench to install and to take off the nut.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:07 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by atleung
Thanks for the info. I called Ari from Precision Instruments customer service. She passed me to Todd, the sales manager. Todd said these parts would not work. The extension is just the middle piece of the 3-piece torque wrench, and the adapter is the black section of the head. Todd said they would not work as an extension. He suggested I simply find a heavy tube to either put inside or outside of the middle piece to create additional leverage. As long as I leave the handle piece off and the tube I use is heavy duty enough so it won't break, it will serve the purpose.
The extension is indeed the middle piece of the wrench again, and the adapter is indeed the black section of the head. It works perfectly as an extension as it replaces the "torque" part of the wrench with a second extension tube. I have the pieces at home and I actually used them this weekend
I will take some pictures of everything and post them tonight.
I guess I had more luck with another person working at that company:

Thank you for your correspondence. You are able to add another black adaptor, such as the one in the neck of the ratchet head, into the open end of the extension tube and add another extension tube. Essentially, doubling the length for increased leverage.

Parts you would need are:

1/ea Part Number: A10C4D600F, Adaptor @ $41.70 List Price

1/ea Part Number: TQR600-6, Extension Tube @ $33.34 List Price

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us at 866-897-3624.

Sincerely,

Andrew R. Larson
Vice President
Precision Instruments, Inc
www.torqwrench.com
P: 866.897.3624 / M: 847.331.8063
Also, FYI to those who have the Precision Instrument torque wrench, you should know it makes a difference how the extension tube is connected to the head. One side says CW (clockwise), the other side says CCW. I tried to torque my wheels one time but couldn't after many tries. Evidently, I put the tube on backwards. I am sure it would have been perfectly obvious had I cracked open the instructions manual.
Correct, it is also indicated on the handle itself in which direction you can torque.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:08 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As promised:

To loosen the nut I just use the top 3 parts + bottom part.
To torque I use the bottom 3 parts.

Easy
Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

you can EASILY torque to 370 lb/ft if you are over 150 lbs in body wt. hell my wife at 120 did it.
I need some wife training lessons; She cooks, cleans, works, has sex with me, but changing my track wheels is pushing my luck.....

take the gauge section off, so you only have the head and midsection, flip the little switch on the head so you can crank it to loosen the wheel nut. it takes some effort but really, i cannot curl more than 40#, i had no problem loosening the wheel nuts. so i dont know what's the problem everyone seem to have? maybe i missed something?
+1 You really don't need the extra piece.
Maybe if you change wheels when they are super hot, straight of the track, then it takes more efford to get them loosened.
But even then, the only problem is that the front tires spin with the hand brake on, in that case the wife training comes in and she has to keep her foot on the brake...But unlike Mooty, I can't stay on the couch while she takes care of my track prep.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I need some wife training lessons; She cooks, cleans, works, has sex with me, but changing my track wheels is pushing my luck.....
yes, send her over. for $10K, I will train her how to change your wheels. i trained my sister to bleed my brakes. am training my 5 yr old to wash and wax the car. she is now learning on my truck first.

But unlike Mooty, I can't stay on the couch while she takes care of my track prep.
i dont stay on the couch, bud.
i usually would be eating ice cream and supervising my garage crew of wife and daughter. son is too young at 19 month to change oil just yet.
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
Mooty and the wife stay on the couch (doing what, who knows?) while someone else takes care of the prep work!

Did I mention he already has..... two kids!

He has it figured out!
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
As promised:

To loosen the nut I just use the top 3 parts + bottom part.
To torque I use the bottom 3 parts.

Easy
thanks, now it all make sense.
a good solution.
but that's a lot of tools though.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Did I mention he already has..... two kids!
Haha, putting kids to work is very under utilized lately here in the US.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Haha, putting kids to work is very under utilized lately here in the US.
i agree.
kids need training.

working the floor

if one fails to behave, i tie him down and flip the chair over until he agrees to work again
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

... putting kids to work is easy ... in China ... just use the Nike factories...
the view to kids working nike factory in china is skewed.
to the western hemisphere, they are being abuse.
to the chinese, these kids are making a much better living than if they weren't employed.

although chinese are learning very quickly to start living a spoiled life of the west. we used to get whipped (with a real bamboo) when we screw up in school. i call that character building. now they coined the western terms as child abuse... hahahahaha. i like to see the next generation of weak children.

and who started the idea of "leave no child behind?"... brother. if you fail you shall be left behind. open the books and start studying.

needless to say, none of my friends ask me to babysit their kids. however, if their kids should misbehave, the mere mention of crazy tire uncle john (i put them inside a stack of used tires in dark garage as time out) will immediately stop any poor conduct and behavior.

alas, we shall get back to porsche before i get reported to child services.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

LMAO!!

My brother announced a few weeks ago he got his wife pregnant; I'm taking notes for him :-)
I doubt I will be asked to baby sit. For some inexplicable reason I've never had to do it before..

I am not that old and I got slapped (Nee, abused!) with real rulers and had to was out my filthy mouth with real soap in the old country.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bamboo, leather straps, rulers, (fists, over the top).... and if you complained to your parents you were probably told if you didn't deserve it at that moment there was something that you deserved it for. And if you did deserve it, you got it again.

So the bottom line is..you took your licks, sucked it up and resolved never to get caught again!

And it didn't do a damned bit of harm when all was said and done! Especially when you consider all the "pansy enlightened" crap that is passed off today as parenting.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

LMAO!!

My brother announced a few weeks ago he got his wife pregnant; I'm taking notes for him :-)
I doubt I will be asked to baby sit. For some inexplicable reason I've never had to do it before..

I am not that old and I got slapped (Nee, abused!) with real rulers and had to was out my filthy mouth with real soap in the old country.
dutch do rulers too. thought that was chinese torture.
we also kneel on abacus

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench