Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
How long is the Porsche breaker bar fully extended? Titan and others are 40", which is max I've found so far.
Each of the three segments is about 18" with about 4" of overlap at each joint, so I'm guessing about 46" overall length -- I'll measure it next time I'm near the car (might be Thursday.)
Old 04-12-2010, 04:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,624 Likes on 754 Posts

For "only" $200.00 and the convenience, it makes sense to take the Porsche bar..
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanical torque wrenches are so old-school... SnapOn makes a digital one -- about $500.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Mechanical torque wrenches are so old-school... SnapOn makes a digital one -- about $500.
I've used the digital wrench -- it's great for engine assembly (not to suggest that I'm an engine builder!) or repetitive low torque tasks (it makes a sequence of beeping to get the exact torque setting) but for lug nuts, it's a bit of an overkill and nothing's as quick and easy as the click of a decent torque wrench. Strangely, when I see people using a torque wrench on wheel lugs, as often as not, they're moving the nut too quickly and continuing to move the nut after the wrench clicks. Maybe the beeps of the digital wrench would help with consistency.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just called my local P dealer with the Breaker Bar part #997.361.161.00 and they quoted me $344.52.
Does anybody have a lead on the $200.00 Porsche part that I read about in an earlier post ?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,623 Likes on 2,309 Posts

what you want is mechanical beam type tq wrench with no return to zero requirement. digital wrench for wheels are NO good. buy one you will understand.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hyroller
I just called my local P dealer with the Breaker Bar part #997.361.161.00 and they quoted me $344.52.
Does anybody have a lead on the $200.00 Porsche part that I read about in an earlier post ?
I used $200 as a round number, give or take $10, but it certainly wasn't $350!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I just checked my original info ... yup ... list is $350! ... I guess you'll need a good customer relationship with your dealer parts manager to get a similar discount ... sorry for setting the wrong expectation on price. I'm guessing somewhere around $290 is what to expect.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
hyroller
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I just checked my original info ... yup ... list is $350! ... I guess you'll need a good customer relationship with your dealer parts manager to get a similar discount ... sorry for setting the wrong expectation on price. I'm guessing somewhere around $290 is what to expect.
Thanks for the clarification Carrera GT. I have a real good relationship with my dealer(s), I'll get back to you if I get a better price quoted. Thanks....
Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
digital wrench for wheels are NO good.
I was being tongue-in-cheek about suggesting a digital torque wrench just for wheels.

But why would it be "NO good"?
Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Each of the three segments is about 18" with about 4" of overlap at each joint, so I'm guessing about 46" overall length -- I'll measure it next time I'm near the car (might be Thursday.)
Just measured it assembled, 41.5 inches from center of nut to end of handle.

As depicted in the pic, below, the bar is long enough to extend an inch or three beyond the nose of the car. And I can lean on it without it feeling like the nut is going to win and the bar is going to collapse.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2010, 10:23 AM
atleung
Instructor

Does the factory breaker bar bend at all? I have the same Precision torque wrench and Titan breaker as most people. Lucky me I picked up a small nail in my rear driver side tire and had the chance to use these tools. Getting the wheel loosened was NOT easy. Although the Titan is rated at 1000 lbs, it was bending slightly. I guess it was not going to break, but it did not exactly inspire confidence. In contrast, tightening with the Precision torque wrench was actually easy, which makes sense because removing requires more torque. The Precision torque wrench is more than adequate in my opinion and for the money, a value.

Just measured it assembled, 41.5 inches from center of nut to end of handle.

As depicted in the pic, below, the bar is long enough to extend an inch or three beyond the nose of the car. And I can lean on it without it feeling like the nut is going to win and the bar is going to collapse.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,623 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I was being tongue-in-cheek about suggesting a digital torque wrench just for wheels.

But why would it be "NO good"?
1. when you need it, the battery will be dead.
2. it's awful bright outside, you cannot read the display.
3. it's a cool gadget and makes "beeping" noises when tq is reached, all your track acquaintances wants to borrow.

i experienced all three.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atleung
Does the factory breaker bar bend at all? I have the same Precision torque wrench and Titan breaker as most people. Lucky me I picked up a small nail in my rear driver side tire and had the chance to use these tools. Getting the wheel loosened was NOT easy. Although the Titan is rated at 1000 lbs, it was bending slightly. I guess it was not going to break, but it did not exactly inspire confidence. In contrast, tightening with the Precision torque wrench was actually easy, which makes sense because removing requires more torque. The Precision torque wrench is more than adequate in my opinion and for the money, a value.
It flexes. All steel leverage tools are designed to flex to varying degrees.

From very little experience, it seems that the cars arrive from the factory with very high torque effort required to release the centerlock nut the first time. Once you've secured the nut with the prescribed 500nm, it comes off (relatively) easily. A wheel chock will suffice (the owners manual recommends leaving the car in gear, but I'm not a big fan of using the engine and transaxle as a wheel chock. : )
Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,624 Likes on 754 Posts

I just tried mine, ordered it from tooltopia, $324.00 delieverd, it arrived next day.

Took the wheels of to clean and wax them, it feels all very solid, no way the would slip off.

For us fat guys; I'm 250lbs and can easily break the wheels lose without the last torque piece, no breaker bar needed. It is so easy, I think pretty much anyone can do it.
Try it before you buy a breaker bar.
I can also easily tighten it to 500 NM, I just use the last piece to make sure I don't overtighten and let it click. I would have prefered to have a shorter one, but this works fine.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench