Thoughts on the McLaren MP4-12C?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Where will the dealers be located?
Any track support?
Any independent, competing with each other local shops offering track support?

Just saying there were 5 different companies present last week at Sebring; All happy to bleed brakes, change tires, fix whatever..
My next event at Sebring even Porsche Motorsports will be there.. Just sayin' that I think I would get a lot more proven track fun out of a GT2RS for same money. Maybe even the same laptimes..

This puts it in the same group as faster, better, more exotic group as all the other supercars I never see any support for at the track...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
F40 for you then. As you said, it's got everything (no removable top though, that's F50). And it's a timeless classic.

Not much more coin than some of the others .. 400k will get you a good specimen. ROLL IT!!
I'll take the 959 instead, thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by carrering
i think someone at mclaren is a big trekkie. with the doors open, the cockpit controls and displays, and that logo, this thing needs NCC1701 for a license plate. I like the car, but to me it reeks much of an early 90's view of what the future sports car would look like.
90s styling for sure. I can totally see Jaguar CJ220, of whatever that was, in it.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I also agree the Mclaren is a good value relative to the GT2RS, but who knows when these cars will be here. They are hoping by the summer, but with an entirely new dealership, there may be issues. I think the McLaren is a great car from what I've read, but I think McLaren has done themselves a disservice by showing the final version a year before you could buy one.
I think I'd rather be in a white/black 997.1 GT3 RS ... : ) ...

But McLaren is doing "drum beat" marketing -- they've done local events, showing the car, keeping people aware. Now the price announcement is another beat of the drum and a step closer.

As you say, anyone with Porsche standards will probably be dismayed to experience what McLaren will have to ask their customers to bare as they ramp up a dealer network, employees, training, logistics, parts, policy ... you name it ... all the things Porsche and Ferrari are accustomed to doing badly, now McLaren will have to invent their own special form of mediocre customer service.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think I'd rather be in a white/black 997.1 GT3 RS ... : ) ...
Thanks, so would I especially for the $ I'd have to spend to get the McLaren.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's like a Lotus mated with the interior of a CGT.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:32 PM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be no question about the McLaren's engineering. Mercedes chose the outfit to work with on its halo vehicles. McLaren is about as solid as you can get from any perspective and when Ron Dennis puts his reputation on a project it will come through as expected. I'll have a VW-911 in the stable but a McLaren is my goal in a few years and it will see the track! My guess is that McLaren owners will be more likely to use their cars as intended unlike fat-around-the-middle-bubble-wrap-garage Ferraristas......
Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by beowulf
There should be no question about the McLaren's engineering. Mercedes chose the outfit to work with on its halo vehicles. McLaren is about as solid as you can get from any perspective and when Ron Dennis puts his reputation on a project it will come through as expected. I'll have a VW-911 in the stable but a McLaren is my goal in a few years and it will see the track! My guess is that McLaren owners will be more likely to use their cars as intended unlike fat-around-the-middle-bubble-wrap-garage Ferraristas......
I don't know. If I ever could get an F1 McLaren that would really be something. But that will be well after the 959 acquisition, after the IPO.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

T-C you'd take a 959 over an F40? wow. F40 is my all-timer!

I'd actually been trying to get a 599 GTO but then realized it's probably going to lose a buttload of money so I resumed my goal of getting an F40.

The mclaren will be a really high performance car and I've been in contact with the local dealer here about getting one for the last few months. sadly, I was out of town at the launch and haven't seen the 918 proto or this MC-turbo.

the bottom line is that if you've got enough money to buy cars like mclarens, ferraris and gt2RS then you're probably going to find what you want eventually.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default MP4-12C 3 sec faster than 458?

Hmmm, this car might be quite good if true-posted on the Rennteam board. I don't know if tires were comparable.

Mclaren 3sec faster than 458...
...on a 2min circuit. Friend of mine gave a ride on the car and was blown away by general performance and track time, he did not drove it, but made several laps on circuit as a passanger. The F458 was 3 sec slower on this same circuit, not on the same day though.

J.Seven
Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NelsonF
Hmmm, this car might be quite good if true-posted on the Rennteam board. I don't know if tires were comparable.

Mclaren 3sec faster than 458...
...on a 2min circuit. Friend of mine gave a ride on the car and was blown away by general performance and track time, he did not drove it, but made several laps on circuit as a passanger. The F458 was 3 sec slower on this same circuit, not on the same day though.

J.Seven
I think the 12C has the edge on the 458 for the spec sheet -- lighter with more power and torque -- but all else being equal, 3 seconds quicker over a two minute circuit is nigh on impossible.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that was the number on the timing equipment from one day to the next with all kinds of variables in the two cars, the driver skill and experience, tires, etc. I think that 3 second number reflects how a competent driver can extract quicker lap times from a car with more power and torque, perhaps with more confident handling, perhaps with respect for the machinery -- I don't think any given driver would jump in these two cars and whip them within an inch of their lives for a passenger ride comparison.

In a fair fight, while I full well expect the 12C to best the 458, I don't expect it to be a margin to the left of the decimal point.

Look at these comparison photos, I'm no fan of the slab-sided 458 with its absurd headlights and cooky plastic cabin trim, but side-by-side, I think it's the more appealing car. I just wish the car makers would buy a clue and get these quarter million dollar sports cars down below family mini-van curb weights.

http://www.autorivals.net/supercars/...2011mp412c.htm
Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
90s styling for sure. I can totally see Jaguar CJ220, of whatever that was, in it.
XJ220
Never imported to US. Saw one in Canada during the Canadian GP.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think the 12C has the edge on the 458 for the spec sheet -- lighter with more power and torque -- but all else being equal, 3 seconds quicker over a two minute circuit is nigh on impossible.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that was the number on the timing equipment from one day to the next with all kinds of variables in the two cars, the driver skill and experience, tires, etc. I think that 3 second number reflects how a competent driver can extract quicker lap times from a car with more power and torque, perhaps with more confident handling, perhaps with respect for the machinery -- I don't think any given driver would jump in these two cars and whip them within an inch of their lives for a passenger ride comparison.

In a fair fight, while I full well expect the 12C to best the 458, I don't expect it to be a margin to the left of the decimal point.

Look at these comparison photos, I'm no fan of the slab-sided 458 with its absurd headlights and cooky plastic cabin trim, but side-by-side, I think it's the more appealing car. I just wish the car makers would buy a clue and get these quarter million dollar sports cars down below family mini-van curb weights.

http://www.autorivals.net/supercars/...2011mp412c.htm
True, we don't know if it was a fair comparison but I would not dismiss it given the p/w ratio. The more important aspect to me is driving feel. I picked up my .2 3rs for this reason over any other. I hope this car delivers in this area.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
XJ220
Never imported to US. Saw one in Canada during the Canadian GP.
I've seen them here in the states- jag dealer on wilshire in beverly hills had 2 a few years ago
Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 AM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an XJ220 at the Imperial Palace Hotel car museum in Las Vegas.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the McLaren MP4-12C?