Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Voltphreaks 5.5 lbs lithium-ion nano battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Odyssey, Braille, and motorcycle batteries are all lead acid heavy batteries that have low reserve and capacity for street cars use.

The lithium-ion batteries offer more capacity per pound than any other batteries. Voltphreaks cannot be compared against equal or slightly higher weight lead acid batteries.

I ran a small Braille in my GT3 and GT3 RS, an Odyssey PC680 in my 924S, I got tired of carrying a jump starter (25 lbs) to get the car to start when these small lead acid batteries ran out of juice. They were rated at 15-17Ah.

For street use, I think a minimum of 30Ah is recommended to have peace of mind. Use a trickle charger at home if the car spends over a week not being driven.

The street use friendly Odyssey PC925 has 28Ah and a 52 minutes reserve, it work pretty well on street cars. Voltphreaks has batteries in multiple ranges of capacity, the S40 has 31Ah and 65 minutes of reserve (better than the PC925), and it weighs 9.5 lbs.

The stock battery is just too heavy, I measured mine at 42 lbs in the GT3 RS with the mounting base. Combine a lightweight battery, with lighter brakes, wheels, seats, exhaust and you could be looking at a 200+ lbs lighter car, and you'll feel it.

Mikymu, great job!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

How much is one of these Voltphreaks? (just wondering how it compare to the new Porsche OEM lightweight battery)
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1200
Old 02-27-2010, 01:45 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
great write up, planning to do the same for my 993tt this summer. I'm sure it's probably a typo but aluminum does conduct electricity very well!
oops! brain fart lol. I meant to say the following: I got an aluminum sheet from ACE hardware for the bracket since they are light and easy to work with

fixed
Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Md11skipper
Mike, another exceptional post! Thank you.
Sure thing Peter. Hope you enjoyed your trip to Europe and have a safe flight home

Originally Posted by Nizer
Great post. One question, are there any issues with having to reset radio, electronics, etc. when the battery shuts itself off to preserve charge?

Thanks.
Hey Nizer, you do need to reset radio and clock and you will get a PSM error just like if you were to disconnect your battery. PSM will go away once you start driving and It take me 2 seconds to rest the clock. I don't listen to the radio. I have a better sound track from the back of the car

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
mikymu,

I hope you don't mind but I have copied your posts to the DIY forum for the GT3. Congratulations!

Best,
Sure thing Bob!

Originally Posted by JMD0977
How much to make me one(battery bracket)?
I will talk to my accountant and let you know how much we have to charge for health insurance, retirement and workman's comp lol

I love to mass produce these brackets for fellow forum members but I am too busy with kids, wife and oh yeah,my green mistress

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Odyssey, Braille, and motorcycle batteries are all lead acid heavy batteries that have low reserve and capacity for street cars use.

The lithium-ion batteries offer more capacity per pound than any other batteries. Voltphreaks cannot be compared against equal or slightly higher weight lead acid batteries.

I ran a small Braille in my GT3 and GT3 RS, an Odyssey PC680 in my 924S, I got tired of carrying a jump starter (25 lbs) to get the car to start when these small lead acid batteries ran out of juice. They were rated at 15-17Ah.

For street use, I think a minimum of 30Ah is recommended to have peace of mind. Use a trickle charger at home if the car spends over a week not being driven.

The street use friendly Odyssey PC925 has 28Ah and a 52 minutes reserve, it work pretty well on street cars. Voltphreaks has batteries in multiple ranges of capacity, the S40 has 31Ah and 65 minutes of reserve (better than the PC925), and it weighs 9.5 lbs.

The stock battery is just too heavy, I measured mine at 42 lbs in the GT3 RS with the mounting base. Combine a lightweight battery, with lighter brakes, wheels, seats, exhaust and you could be looking at a 200+ lbs lighter car, and you'll feel it.

Mikymu, great job!!!
Thanks Rad and great explanation!

Originally Posted by cfjan
How much is one of these Voltphreaks? (just wondering how it compare to the new Porsche OEM lightweight battery)
List at $1299. I don't know if they have any promotional coming up. Perhaps they can offer a group buy discount if enough people are interested
Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu

I will talk to my accountant and let you know how much we have to charge for health insurance, retirement and workman's comp lol

I love to mass produce these brackets for fellow forum members but I am too busy with kids, wife and oh yeah,my green mistress

I can wait 4-6 weeks production time, no biggie.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Md11skipper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hlow to you maintain the battery, can you and do you connect a trickle charger? Will this extend the life of the battery?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:27 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JMD0977
I can wait 4-6 weeks production time, no biggie.
LOL

I will speed up production by moving my factory to China

Originally Posted by Md11skipper
Hlow to you maintain the battery, can you and do you connect a trickle charger? Will this extend the life of the battery?
Hey Peter, I thought it's company rule that you can't text while flying

Yes, you can hook it up to a trickle charger just like a conventional battery. It has many safety feature build in so you can't overcharge it
Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another great mod and write up. I'll be watching for your updates on this.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll wait for updates on reliability. The minute my stock battery dies, I'm replacing it w a Voltphreaks. There was a very long discussion about a year ago or so in the 964 forum about the Voltphreaks.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the detailed write-up. I've been tempted to do this one sometime down the road. I'm still hesitant due to price but it's a great weight saving. I figure, like any technology, the price will come down over time.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice write up..wish I read before the dealer replaced my battery.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HOLY CRAP you rock. Your writeups are excellent -
Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind word everyone. Too bad these Li-ion battery are expensive. This is the PCCB of battery and hope price come down with time. Will let everyone know if folks at Voltphreaks decide to run a special
Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks for the kind word everyone. Too bad these Li-ion battery are expensive. This is the PCCB of battery and hope price come down with time. Will let everyone know if folks at Voltphreaks decide to run a special
I'd be in.

Quick Reply: Voltphreaks 5.5 lbs lithium-ion nano battery