Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sport Chrono on the GT3 & RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:53 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

you are just in front of start/finish and several hundred feet before the braking zone for sunset. photo is shot from the balcony. by that time i already hit the stalk once and next press is to begin next lap. i don't dare look down at it. just review after the session is over. sunset was tricky until i learned to turn in earlier thanks to VJ. what is really tricky is that same corner going CCW. tracking out to that burm that sucks the left side of the car off the track. best just to drive right into the dirt and go straight for a half mile bleeding off speed.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I could not buy one with it. Looks goofy, is gimmicky and for not much more you have a proper data logger!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:12 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it and find it immensely valuable to time how long it takes my wife to "run into the store real quick" and also how long it takes my son to get his shoes on and get out the door to leave.

Would never use on the track but I didn't have a lot of heartburn about getting it. If I had special ordered then I wouldn't have spec'd it but it's very hard to find one without it on a lot.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I have it and find it immensely valuable to time how long it takes my wife to "run into the store real quick" and also how long it takes my son to get his shoes on and get out the door to leave.
LOL, maybe we all need it after all....
Old 02-22-2010, 05:45 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Mine has it, but it's neither a plus or a negative IMO... No heartburn here.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine has it as well and I spec'd it that way. I'm a watch guy so the damn thing appeals to me....

One would really need to familiarize themselves with the start/stop/lap controls before track use thought.

It does come in very handy for timing how long it takes to burn through a tank of gas. LOL!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would not order a car with it. It was not a deal breaker for me getting a used car. It does keep my ball cap from sliding on to the floor.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I specifically did NOT spec sport chrono on my RS. As you note, it only adds the wart and some additional personal settings in the PCM (wipers/doors lights/etc). The wart is useless at best and a hazard at worst if you were to actually try to use it on a track.

True Porsche enthusiasts will understand and appreciate that you did NOT spec the SC.

Car with PDK, SC is a must. Cars without, I think a waste of money,and gain a wart.
Exactly, if you have a PDK then it is a must; along with the flipper-flapper padels for shifting. Since the GT3 only comes with 6 speed there is no point.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Exactly, if you have a PDK then it is a must; along with the flipper-flapper padels for shifting. Since the GT3 only comes with 6 speed there is no point.
On a 6 speed Carrera (non GT3/RS) you need to have SC to get the aggressively tuned (front loaded) throttle inputs, which some prefer. (I know it doesn't add any power -for the manual C2(S)- and pressing the gas further achieves the same goal, but I too liked it on my first C2S). I think a lot of non-experienced GT3 buyers believe this is the case with the GT3 as well; which we all know is not. I skipped it on my .2 GT3 but I have to admit Porsche's confiqurator had me confused about it.

I find it rather ridiculous that some dealers or buyers for that matter have and will order turbos w/o SC. Even Porsche released the introductory 997.2 PDK cars without SC. If any cars need it, it's those two models.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enthusiast
For the North America specification 2007-2008 GT3 RS there was a lot of confusion initially on the Sport Chrono option. People were mislead that if they didn't order it they would lose a performance enhancement the 'sport switch' feature.
Interestingly, the dealer configurator still states that the SPORT button is only added when you option Sport Chrono; therefore, this misinformation is still being perpetuated.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Mayoman4
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the sport chrono package add the ability for Launch Control on a 991.1 GT3 RS or will it come standard??? cant seem to find the answer
Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM
GM.RS
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayoman4
Does the sport chrono package add the ability for Launch Control on a 991.1 GT3 RS or will it come standard??? cant seem to find the answer
Wrong forum. Launch control 'round these parts means using the 3rd pedal
Old 10-24-2018, 08:02 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by GM.RS
Wrong forum. Launch control 'round these parts means using the 3rd pedal
- Got a good laugh out of that one....

But since somehow this old thread has been dug up,.... I'll chime in....

I have the {hmmmm,... I'll call it a "unit",... although sometimes my wife uses that term endearingly for other references....},... anyway, I have the CLOCK on the dash of my Cayenne Turbo, and actually like the looks of it up there. AND I actually use it when I want to see the time.

Having said that,... many years later from first getting into that Cayenne,... we now own a 7.2 GT3 that does have SC,... and not that I really cared one-way-or-other whether it had it or not,... it was NOT on the mandatory list of must haves!!

Also seems that all the haters here seem to be GT3RS guys that primarily have interest in it's lack of abilities as a track tool. Wife & I are street drivers only. Bottom line for us: I WISH it was a clock. I have zero need for it as a Sport Chrono. BUT,... I actually do enjoy seeing the unit itself on the dash. We've been programmed to enjoy the look of it up there,... due to the Cayenne.

Just wish it was a clock on the GT3. Oh well. NIT picks. Don't really care I guess.

Back to your normally scheduled programming,...... guess I just needed to get that out there.

=Steve

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono on the GT3 & RS?