Sport Chrono on the GT3 & RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Riddle me this

70% or so of ordered RS's have opted for the wart.

WHY is the useless wart so popular?????
I'm sure it's to do with Porsche's marketing. Porsche has created the impression that it's an important accessory. Although the GT3 is about 'less is more', this is simply a case of people being made to believe that 'more is more'.

Furthermore, being track oriented cars, Porsche will be saying that this is a must have accessory even though it's not. I'd rather not have it but, after living with it on my dash for the last 5 years, it doesn't bother me any more. I have been beaten into submission.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No wart on my .2 GT3 dash. I love the look of the cleaner dash without it, especially with full leather. I've had three other 911s all with it, of course none was a GT3. Like others have said it only adds some wiper and lock functions. The service tech can make the same changes for you.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

I wish I could hit rewind and delete mine.

It's the only option I regret ordering.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:17 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
The GT3 and RS both clearly look much better without the Sport Chrono (wart) -- apparently Andreas Preuninger insisted that it was not a required option on the GT3 range...

Thanks for that recent string of posts with RS revews/pics over at Rennteam. A lot of effort by you and much appreciated!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

No SC for me.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I got it in my '07 ... and it came in handy for lapping the nordschleife ... but that was about all, I would not spec it w/or w/o PCM ever again ... its a waste
Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont understand all the sc hate to be honest, its not that ugly(calin a wart doesnt help), gives the interior a unique touch over other cars i think, could be used for lap timings even if rarely, its not expensive at all compared to all the other options, and its beter for resale

im not saying go for it, i just dont think its worth all the discusion, if u want it have it n if u dont leave it out
Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ If one likes it that's cool, but it certainly does NOT add to the resale of the GT3/RS. The $7xx spent on it is not recouped at all; actually hurting resale.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

For the North America specification 2007-2008 GT3 RS there was a lot of confusion initially on the Sport Chrono option. People were mislead that if they didn't order it they would lose a performance enhancement the 'sport switch' feature. Even after the truth was made clear (sport switch is standard), I think buyers were nervous and thought for $690 why gamble.

Porsche Dealerships make a lot of money off options, hence if they order the car they load it up with options regardless of merit. $$$

As others stated look at th RS Registry and you will see the majority of the fleet has Sport Chrono.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:20 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^ You are certainly correct and much of the confusion came from the misinformation disseminated by Porsche. Here is a letter I sent them back in August of 2006 and their response:

Your GT3 brochure states that there is a SPORT mode,
which, when selected, provides as much as 18.44 lb/ft
of additional torque.

Your Order Guide states that the SPORT button is part
of the Sport Chrono Package, Option code 640.

In Europe, the Sport Chrono, commonly known by most
of us as "the wart", is not necessary to get the SPORT
button.

There is a discrepancy between your brochure and your
Order Guide.

Which is correct?

Response:

The GT3 comes standard with a SPORT button that, when pressed, increases the torque by 18 lb-ft between approximately 3,000 and 4,200 rpm. In addition, the traction control system is set to a more dynamic "sporty" mode.

The Chrono Package adds a lap timer and the stopwatch on the dashboard. If you also order PCM than you can order the Chrono Package Plus which adds lap time storage, performance display to indicate if current lap is faster or slower than a reference lap, remaining laps until empty, and personal memory function (lights, wipers, door locks, A/C settings).

The Chrono Packages are not necessary to get the SPORT button. The order guides will be corrected.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

haha, for me the cyclops looks bad, bad enough that i would still delete it if it offered 100more hp.
if not deletable, i would just give up on the car.
they REALLY need to take that thing off.
if you tried to use it on track, you will die. go ahead and try it.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did try it once, what a drill while you're trying to actually control a vehicle.

All I can say is that if you do use it, make your reference point early in a long straight so you can twizzle the stick and get involved again.

Maybe after enough practice it's fine... I'll never know.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by allegretto
I did try it once, what a drill while you're trying to actually control a vehicle.

All I can say is that if you do use it, make your reference point early in a long straight so you can twizzle the stick and get involved again.

Maybe after enough practice it's fine... I'll never know.
if you didn't screw arond with the stalk, you would have gone 2 seconds faster easy.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

funny, right in the spot where mooty is in his avatar is where i would try to remember to hit the reset on my lap time for the sport chrono at buttonwillow. i managed to maybe remember one or two laps. anyways, transponder is way safer and accurate. chrono not optioned on my new one. going wartless this time around.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carrering
funny, right in the spot where mooty is in his avatar is where i would try to remember to hit the reset on my lap time for the sport chrono at buttonwillow. i managed to maybe remember one or two laps. anyways, transponder is way safer and accurate. chrono not optioned on my new one. going wartless this time around.
right, b/c right there is about where you about to brake and make T1 and prep for buttonhook, which to this day i cannot get it right...

you can do SC right after sunset (for those not familiar with button willow, that's the name of last turn going CW) so you can read it down the front straight, assuming you dont overshoot sunset and end up on dirt track right and spin back to wall track left. even then, i can't make out the numbers on the SC, too small...

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono on the GT3 & RS?