Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cobb or Sharkwerks tune for 997.2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Cobb or Sharkwerks tune for 997.2 GT3?

Trying to decide between the Cobb and the Sharkwerks (evoms) tune for a 997.2 GT3, mostly to enable left foot braking.
The car is stock apart from a Sharkwerks bypass.

I'm not expecting major performance gains, or for there to be any real difference between the two in terms of power, but I am wondering about people's experiences regarding:

1. Ease of install
2. Flexibility when moving from areas where 93 octane is available to where only 91 is available
3. General driveability

My local tuner with a dyno will sell me the Cobb tune, whereas I'd have to order the Sharkwerks tune from Alex in CA.

What's the forum consensus on the best way to go?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:52 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 668 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
Trying to decide between the Cobb and the Sharkwerks (evoms) tune for a 997.2 GT3, mostly to enable left foot braking.
The car is stock apart from a Sharkwerks bypass.

I'm not expecting major performance gains, or for there to be any real difference between the two in terms of power, but I am wondering about people's experiences regarding:

1. Ease of install
2. Flexibility when moving from areas where 93 octane is available to where only 91 is available
3. General driveability

My local tuner with a dyno will sell me the Cobb tune, whereas I'd have to order the Sharkwerks tune from Alex in CA.

What's the forum consensus on the best way to go?
Timely post. I left my car at Sharkwerks after Rennsport to get the tune. I also have the bypass. I just got the car back off the transport yesterday. Tomorrow is the first drive. I'll be happy to give you my thoughts. I'm sure you know this but the price includes the EvoM module to install and remove the flash. From just blipping the throttle in the garage it's definitely sharper and quicker to rev with less pedal input...
Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,123 Posts

i've been happy w/ cobb. i think their accessport and the pro tuner program is excellent.
I have had a cobb since they came out for the 997 GT3. No issues and the logger / scanner features of the unit are very handy.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
From just blipping the throttle in the garage it's definitely sharper and quicker to rev with less pedal input...
I believe that is a result of the throttle mapping change on the tune. I've driven a car with the Shark tune in the past and for me I didn't enjoy the sensitive throttle. Reminded me of my old e46 M3. After pressing the sport button on the M3, the throttle was much more sensitive. It makes throttle modulation on track more difficult imo. YMMV.

I have the Cobb tune like Spyrex and am happy with it. The ECU scanning feature is nice as it allows you to pull CEL codes to some extent and to clear the codes.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:29 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well.....

Have you had a chance to drive it? What do you think?

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Timely post. I left my car at Sharkwerks after Rennsport to get the tune. I also have the bypass. I just got the car back off the transport yesterday. Tomorrow is the first drive. I'll be happy to give you my thoughts. I'm sure you know this but the price includes the EvoM module to install and remove the flash. From just blipping the throttle in the garage it's definitely sharper and quicker to rev with less pedal input...
Old 10-24-2018, 06:51 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeP.
Have you had a chance to drive it? What do you think?
Just back from a drive. Well, I would sum it up by saying:

-Car idles a little more consistently especially when it's warm
-Max throttle application in 1st, 2nd and 3rd is sharper. Less hesitation or delay it's almost instant now
-Butt dyno: I have no idea if it makes more power since I have no HP baseline on the car
-I couldn't feel any difference between regular and sport settings.
-I forgot to try the left foot braking function

I'll have to drive it more. I can definitely say the car runs better and is crisper. If I had to put a percentage on it I would say it runs 15% better. I does come down to how sensitive people are to how their car runs. Worth the money? I feel good about the purchase. That's all that matters. The 15hp figure they claim? I have no idea without numbers. But it's better..
Old 10-24-2018, 10:24 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Just had a custom tune done on my GT3. Was necessary given that I have GMG headers/bypass and just installed the 4.0 LWFL and clutch. Everything feels much more cohesive. Throttle response is vastly improved. Car runs better. Drives like a completely different car. Essential modification IMO.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by WantA997
Just had a custom tune done on my GT3. Was necessary given that I have GMG headers/bypass and just installed the 4.0 LWFL and clutch. Everything feels much more cohesive. Throttle response is vastly improved. Car runs better. Drives like a completely different car. Essential modification IMO.
Awesome.

Quick Reply: Cobb or Sharkwerks tune for 997.2 GT3?