Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS: On The Boat (ONVESL)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Do NOT take it easy the first 100-200 miles. Those early miles are the one critical opportunity to get the engine broken in early and well. In fact, unless some weird circumstance prevents me from doing so, on my first drive once oil is up to temp I go deep into throttle in 2nd/3rd gear multiple times. Slow down alternating under engine braking and brakes during different pulls.

Really the first 50 miles is key to load it up under hard throttle ("trottle" if you are from Brazil...lol).

The reason to do it again on successive days is to allow for several heating/coolig cycles of the engine and further mate the moving parts.

How do you think racing engines are broken in? Driving the race car for 5000 miles around a track? Think about it...

*Warm the oil to temp.
* Don't lug it.
* Drive it like you stole it.

(I graduated from Nashville Auto Diesel College back in 1980, and have worked in automotive for 20 years.)
Thanks for the clarification Savyboy...
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cscrogham
He's right about this, and that's not just my opinion but from a lot of Porsche engine dyno experience.
Coming from the man behind this business for the past 20 years :

* The Leader in Porsche 997 street to track car conversions
* Eight Professional Racing Championships
* GT3 Maintenance and Track Prep
* Arrive and Drive Programs
* VIP Suite and Trackside Hospitality
* Corporate Events

Hope you don't mind me tooting your horn Cole!

Originally Posted by malmasri
Why some here are suggesting that changing fluids ( tranny, gearbox) in addition to engine oil,after the initial break in on cars when the engines are run on dynos for several hours? and Porsche does recommed tranny/ gearbox fluid change long down the road after racking up many thousands of miles?
I would halve the Porsche suggested fluid change intervals for a car that sees frequent track use. No track-no change in interval. Massive overkill to be changing PDK or gearbox fluids frequently.

On a Nissan GT-R, yes, Porsche , no. (hey, it's true! lol)

Last edited by savyboy; 03-04-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: correct PDK/Tranny
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
tshih
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I see no point in changing other fluids except for engine oil and filters after initial break-in miles of 1000 miles.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Ditto here. Ugh.

I break-in all my cars the same way:

1. Start the engine.
2. Draw in the fine aroma of that new interior.
3. Warm the engine over several miles driving gently.
4. Begin 2nd and 3rd gear deep throttle (80-90%) roll-on's to about 10% under redline. Preferably while going uphill. 5-10 of these if possible.
5. Bed the brakes as a side benefit of the engine break-in procedure above
6. Rinse repeat over the next couple days and going all the way to red-line.

If all goes according to plan, car is 100% ready for track flogging and mileage is about 500. After 2-3 track days (8-12 sessions), change the oil for the first time.

My cars always run great and have very low oil consumption. The initial 100-200 miles is the critical time to seat everything in the top end of the engine and keep it from being an oil burner. Aggressive break-in also results in engines that make the best power.

The true things to NOT do during break in?

1. Never ever lug a new engine in a high gear, it kills the rod and main bearings.
2. Driving hard before engine is warm.

Lugging and big throttle before oil comes up to temp kills more engines than anything.
Sounds like solid advice, Pete... I did the 'by the book' break-in last time and realized no obvious benefit. It just did not even feel good for the engine, toodling around below 4000 rpm. Certainly had no bearing on the RMS issue (which reared it's ugly head at 700 miles) and no effect on resale. Really deprived myself of a few months of driving pleasure for nothing... I will follow your recipe next time!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAMS
Sounds like solid advice, Pete... I did the 'by the book' break-in last time and realized no obvious benefit. It just did not even feel good for the engine, toodling around below 4000 rpm. Certainly had no bearing on the RMS issue (which reared it's ugly head at 700 miles) and no effect on resale. Really deprived myself of a few months of driving pleasure for nothing...
True Dat my Brother! Live Free! Let that engine roar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh-x_F6WMfM
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
Under 4K for first 2K miles (at least for the base GT3).
LOL, i may have sold it by then.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 AM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The point about depriving yourself of enjoyment by following a stupid running-in procedure is spot-on.

These cars are built to really fine tolerances and provided they are not abused don't need babying around. I've never had an engine fail and when buying new will almost certainly sell before the warranty expires anyway, so whats the benefit to me anyway.

I collected my 997 GT2 from the factory in '08 and within 30 miles it was pulling 180mph.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i know the engine is fine for a strong run in and also what I practice as well, but what about the differential and transmission? isn't the break in designed to ensure these components are worn in properly as well? I know its a lesser car, but the M differential is particularly sensitive to the break in period. engine is fine. ran to redline after built anyways.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by carrering
i know the engine is fine for a strong run in and also what I practice as well, but what about the differential and transmission? isn't the break in designed to ensure these components are worn in properly as well? I know its a lesser car, but the M differential is particularly sensitive to the break in period. engine is fine. ran to redline after built anyways.
And I would ask you to document one case of Porsche transmission/differential failure due to "improper break-in"?

In all seriousness, you are talking about hardened, heat-treated, ultra-strong metal components. Wear occurs on a geological timescale, yes? These parts are assembled using extremely fine tolerances. There is no wear-in to speak of. Any friction surfaces, such as synchros, clutch plates/packs in tranny or diff will be bedded in using my break-in procedure and via normal driving.

Hard driving with cold components is the real killer.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by timothyli
Below 5k rpm for first 1000mls, change engine, transmission and differential oil at 1000mls. Still take it easy and only occasionally redline before 3000mls. Then it’s time to go to the race track.
I never did that on my Yogo....maybe that is why it always broke down and I was always told by my passenger Yo go get the tow truck and I will wait here
Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

(ONVESL)
Same here as of this morning, dealer says should be in port +/- 21st he thinks he has the car last couple of days of March, I hope to pick it up the week of April 5th.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Same here as of this morning, dealer says should be in port +/- 21st he thinks he has the car last couple of days of March, I hope to pick it up the week of April 5th.
Still waiting to be released from the port here...sigh Sitting there for 9 days now.

Maybe they think aging them like a fine wine is of some benefit?

Haha... Come on PDI INVSHP!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so close but oh so far...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 PM
cscrogham
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Does anyone know if this EPA/DOT delay is common with every delivery, or just with this batch of "first" cars?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
Does anyone know if this EPA/DOT delay is common with every delivery, or just with this batch of "first" cars?
Just the first cars - they need to confirm the meet spec before the release them. Once they know they do all future cars will come in approved and face no delays for that issue.

JCM

Quick Reply: RS: On The Boat (ONVESL)