Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS: On The Boat (ONVESL)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
timothyli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tshih
Congrats to all awaiting delivery of their '10 GT3/RS. With the exception of a PCA member on the eastcoast (NNJR) who took delivery at Stuttgart and drove the Nurburgring after 500-1000 break-in miles keeping revs below 5000 rpm what are new owners doing in terms of breaking in the new car's engines?

I intend to do 500 miles with the rev's below 5000 then take it to redline gradually over the next 1000 miles before tracking the car.
Below 5k rpm for first 1000mls, change engine, transmission and differential oil at 1000mls. Still take it easy and only occasionally redline before 3000mls. Then it’s time to go to the race track.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Below 5k rpm for first 1000mls, change engine, transmission and differential oil at 1000mls. Still take it easy and only occasionally redline before 3000mls. Then it’s time to go to the race track.

Seems like a long break in, I hope to take it to the track after a 500 - 1000 mile break in after I change all fluids. Should I wait longer??
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by atleung
According to my sales guy and his rep today, the RS's are awaiting certification (EPA, etc.). So delivery to dealerships won't be immediate. The other cars (currently certified models like Cayennes and Panameras) that were on the same boat have been released (PDIMON status). The RS's are not in this status yet.
Yep. Dealer called me today and said cars being held at port.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Seems like a long break in, I hope to take it to the track after a 500 - 1000 mile break in after I change all fluids. Should I wait longer??
That's what I'm doing...500-1,000 miles, then hit the track
Old 03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atleung
According to my sales guy and his rep today, the RS's are awaiting certification (EPA, etc.). So delivery to dealerships won't be immediate. The other cars (currently certified models like Cayennes and Panameras) that were on the same boat have been released (PDIMON status). The RS's are not in this status yet.
Ditto here. Ugh.

Originally Posted by tshih
Congrats to all awaiting delivery of their '10 GT3/RS. With the exception of a PCA member on the eastcoast (NNJR) who took delivery at Stuttgart and drove the Nurburgring after 500-1000 break-in miles keeping revs below 5000 rpm what are new owners doing in terms of breaking in the new car's engines?

I intend to do 500 miles with the rev's below 5000 then take it to redline gradually over the next 1000 miles before tracking the car.
I break-in all my cars the same way:

1. Start the engine.
2. Draw in the fine aroma of that new interior.
3. Warm the engine over several miles driving gently.
4. Begin 2nd and 3rd gear deep throttle (80-90%) roll-on's to about 10% under redline. Preferably while going uphill. 5-10 of these if possible.
5. Bed the brakes as a side benefit of the engine break-in procedure above
6. Rinse repeat over the next couple days and going all the way to red-line.

If all goes according to plan, car is 100% ready for track flogging and mileage is about 500. After 2-3 track days (8-12 sessions), change the oil for the first time.

My cars always run great and have very low oil consumption. The initial 100-200 miles is the critical time to seat everything in the top end of the engine and keep it from being an oil burner. Aggressive break-in also results in engines that make the best power.

The true things to NOT do during break in?

1. Never ever lug a new engine in a high gear, it kills the rod and main bearings.
2. Driving hard before engine is warm.

Lugging and big throttle before oil comes up to temp kills more engines than anything.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
No VIN yet. Stilled PLPROD - planned for production. 3/8 completion date.
In the paint shop.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savyboy
Ditto here. Ugh.

I break-in all my cars the same way:

1. Start the engine.
4. Begin 2nd and 3rd gear deep throttle (80-90%) roll-on's to about 10% under redline. Preferably while going uphill. 5-10 of these if possible.

If all goes according to plan, car is 100% ready for track flogging and mileage is about 500. After 2-3 track days (8-12 sessions), change the oil for the first time.

My cars always run great and have very low oil consumption. The initial 100-200 miles is the critical time to seat everything in the top end of the engine and keep it from being an oil burner. Aggressive break-in also results in engines that make the best power.

1. Never ever lug a new engine in a high gear, it kills the rod and main bearings.

Lugging and big throttle before oil comes up to temp kills more engines than anything.
I'm with you... drive them like you are going to drive them from day 1.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:48 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

1. Start the engine.

So just to confirm Savyboy, you mentioned the first 100-200 miles for best seating everything, do you take it easy during this period or the same as the procedure you've outlined above? Thanks in advance...
Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 AM
timothyli
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911rox
So just to confirm Savyboy, you mentioned the first 100-200 miles for best seating everything, do you take it easy during this period or the same as the procedure you've outlined above? Thanks in advance...
I think he means bring the car to near redline with near full throttle a couple times to seal the piston rings, so no oil burning in the future. I think this works from my own experience.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 AM
timothyli
Instructor

If you don't want to wait that long, I recommend wait till around 2000mls then go track it. Change fluids at 1000mls.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:27 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
Do NOT take it easy the first 100-200 miles. Those early miles are the one critical opportunity to get the engine broken in early and well. In fact, unless some weird circumstance prevents me from doing so, on my first drive once oil is up to temp I go deep into throttle in 2nd/3rd gear multiple times. Slow down alternating under engine braking and brakes during different pulls.

Really the first 50 miles is key to load it up under hard throttle ("trottle" if you are from Brazil...lol).

The reason to do it again on successive days is to allow for several heating/coolig cycles of the engine and further mate the moving parts.

How do you think racing engines are broken in? Driving the race car for 5000 miles around a track? Think about it...

*Warm the oil to temp.
* Don't lug it.
* Drive it like you stole it.

(I graduated from Nashville Auto Diesel College back in 1980, and have worked in automotive for 20 years.)
Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

What does the 2010 manual say? I think I remember under 4000RPM for the first 1000 miles for the 2007..
Old 03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

What does the 2010 manual say?
Under 4K for first 2K miles (at least for the base GT3).
Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
tshih
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I visited the old Porsche factory in 1986,1992, and then 1997, the engines were all ran in for the first 30 minutes on the dyno before they were deemed ready to install in the cars (911 production line). Then after the car is built it would be driven about 10-20 miles by the factory test driver who evaluates the systems as quality control before delivery to customers. I had picked up 3 new cars at Zuffenhausen and each time the advice from the technician was to keep the revs down below 5000 until mileage has exceeded 500-1000 miles. The advice was also to not run at any steady rpm but to vary the loading to seat the rings. DEFINITELY not lug the engine in high gear as Savyboy said. So I assume the initial run-in has been done for these engines as well (Motorsports engines based on GT1 engine). I doubt Porsche today goes through the same quality control for the regular engines (street cars) in the 996, 997, M96 and 91A.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 PM
cscrogham
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

Do NOT take it easy the first 100-200 miles. Those early miles are the one critical opportunity to get the engine broken in early and well. In fact, unless some weird circumstance prevents me from doing so, on my first drive once oil is up to temp I go deep into throttle in 2nd/3rd gear multiple times. Slow down alternating under engine braking and brakes during different pulls.

Really the first 50 miles is key to load it up under hard throttle ("trottle" if you are from Brazil...lol).

The reason to do it again on successive days is to allow for several heating/coolig cycles of the engine and further mate the moving parts.

How do you think racing engines are broken in? Driving the race car for 5000 miles around a track? Think about it...

*Warm the oil to temp.
* Don't lug it.
* Drive it like you stole it.

(I graduated from Nashville Auto Diesel College back in 1980, and have worked in automotive for 20 years.)
He's right about this, and that's not just my opinion but from a lot of Porsche engine dyno experience.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Why some here are suggesting that changing fluids ( tranny, gearbox) in addition to engine oil,after the initial break in on cars when the engines are run on dynos for several hours? and Porsche does recommed tranny/ gearbox fluid change long down the road after racking up many thousands of miles?

Quick Reply: RS: On The Boat (ONVESL)