Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

serious question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 AM
prosper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
McLaren hands down. A stealth (low-key looks) supercar manufactured by a race car builder with experience that spans decades. CF tub= just the start of technology that leaves every one else in the dust. Any one that has taken the time and made the effort to dig into the MP4-12C has to come away with respect and admiration.

I begged them to start a "list" and get me on it but they won't allow yet.

Prosper- you need to educate yourself on McLaren's distribution and service plans for this car before posting groundless supposition. Learn the facts, and get back to us, yes? (Google is your friend) (not said in ugly fashion, simply stopping guesses in their tracks and encouraging homework)
savyboy,
as of right now, all the McLaren distribution and service plans is "still a plan"
while the Ferrari dealer and service network is already ready to serve you and "proven" to be in business for decades.
and that is what I see as fact for now.

it seemed that you are a prospective buyer of McLaren since you begged to be on their buyer list,
so I am sure you already got your "education" from McLaren, and what McLaren want you to believe.

Remember McLaren want and hope people would buy "certain number of unit" of their old F1 model when those F1 model is in productions
decade ago...
turn out their "plan" and "hope" is far from the "reality",
and they never reach their production/sales target for that particular car.

so until it is a reality, it is not fact,
if and only if,
in the future McLaren can actually fulfilled their promise and all their distribution and after sales service center plan become reality,
by that time, you can get back and educate us, yes ?

ps: google is our friend but google do not and can not guarantee that what McLaren plan and target (in sales and service/parts)
will became reality.
beside if we want to know about McLaren "distribution and service plans" all we need to do is to open McLaren website to get the information straight from the source. No need for google, because that mean the info will come from some third party and it is not legally binding.

Last edited by prosper; 02-01-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy decision

none of the above

get the scuderia spyder - i think they called it the f16 or something?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

I may be the only one but I think the Scuderia looks way better than the 458 Italia. It has that aggressive stance, this bull-ready-to-charge look. The 458 looks like a beautiful woman, prancing around town. Nothing wrong with that, of course, it is just a matter of choice.

Scuderia gets my vote, even though I hear it is very expensive to track.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:13 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
I may be the only one but I think the Scuderia looks way better than the 458 Italia. It has that aggressive stance, this bull-ready-to-charge look. The 458 looks like a beautiful woman, prancing around town. Nothing wrong with that, of course, it is just a matter of choice.

Scuderia gets my vote, even though I hear it is very expensive to track.
+1
Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

430 Scuderia all the way ... not even a question. 458 Italia is butt ugly
Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we are all full of s--t here because none of us has driven all three cars, so how can you even begin to compare them?

I don´t like the pictures of the McLaren from the back either, reminds of the 80´s Back to the Future styling, but until I see that car in person, I won´t be prepared to hand out my final opinion.

The Italia looks strong, but it´s just another new Ferrari. The McLaren has the upper hand here because it´s ALL new.

In terms of technology, everything I´ve read about the McLaren is very impressive. I was taken back by their notion that the car doesn´t have an LSD, but they explain it in their own way and they are certainly on top of the game in Formula 1. I believe that the McLaren will have more of F1 trickled down into it than even the Ferrari.

The McLaren F1 didn´t meet the sales targets, but that doesn´t change a thing about it´s performance results. The MC-12 is only the first of a future range of cars, they say that the successor of the F1 is about four or five years away.

As for reliability, I am sure that the Ron Dennis operation will leave nothing to chance. They are serious about becoming the next Ferrari, they have the name to succeed this time around and they know that they can´t afford to mess it up on quality.

A little question: Is your Carrera GT proving to be too small of a challenge, or what is going on?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

Go with the Ferrari, CJ, if for no other reason than you will be able to get warranty work done on it in the US. There is a real support network of enthusiasts, too.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

What is a great deal anyway on a 430 Scuderia? I haven't seen any under $200K.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

I would have said Scud with no hesitation until I saw some of the reviews on the 458. I'm not crazy about the looks but it sounds like an amazing car. What's the lead time on a 458? You could get a decent deal on a Scud now and play while the 458 and McLaren get closer. You won't lose much on the Scud in the meantime and it might help you move up the queue on a 458?

I am looking forward to the McLaren but it's too much of an unknown quantity right now. I think they will do it right but nothing is certain yet. It's not like this will be your only car so you can afford to take a little risk though for a special car...

Not sure if that helped but those are my thoughts right now.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to look at your entire fleet. You NEED a 997 GT3 RS of some kind as a track car as it's the best car hands down for that purpose. Then you need some kind of Audi or similar for beating about town and perhaps a truck/SUV for beating about the countryside. Then there the exotic in the garage and I'd immediately get the 458 just because you can; then after a year or so get the McLaren if you still like it then after another year or so the 458 scud will be out and you can make that decision then. You're not marrying the darn things they're just girlfriends after all....hookers even Enjoy.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I think you need to look at your entire fleet. You NEED a 997 GT3 RS of some kind as a track car as it's the best car hands down for that purpose. Then you need some kind of Audi or similar for beating about town and perhaps a truck/SUV for beating about the countryside. Then there the exotic in the garage and I'd immediately get the 458 just because you can; then after a year or so get the McLaren if you still like it then after another year or so the 458 scud will be out and you can make that decision then. You're not marrying the darn things they're just girlfriends after all....hookers even Enjoy.
I got a chuckle out of this....

997 GT3 RS...check (gone)
Audi S4.........check (gone)
Ford F250.....check

CJ, choose the one that you're least nervous having me test drive after you buy it...
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
I got a chuckle out of this....

997 GT3 RS...check (gone)
Audi S4.........check (gone)
Ford F250.....check
+1
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

actually dan...lets clarify for those who aren't "from texas" haha

GT3RS gone
GT3 gone
Audi RS4 gone
993S gone

993 TT 3.8 going?
spec boxster- going?
mx5 cup car- going?

CGT- KEEPING
2010 VW GTi- commuter
F250- not sure why I need this but I'm a Texas Resident so...keeping?

I realize this is the GT3 forum and both the italians and the brit are a bit OT, but thanks for all the opinions guys!

Greg and I talked for about an hour about the 16M and how that would really be the most "fun" because I'm used to racing the open wheel cars around and I think he has a point.

however...MJspeed brought up a good point...just get a 360CS (better looking than the 430) and give or take 100k and put in back in the bank vs the Mclaren (which will be the fastest and best performing car) or the 458/Scud/16m (which will sound and pose harder)

I've had 2 gt3s and they are phenomenal cars, however since I won't be tracking street cars much or at all (already have race cars with data for learning/racing/practicing) it just seems logical to go all out and get an italian car, despite the higher costs for consumables.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Out of those, Scud... IMO though? F40
Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

yeah well for the price of an F40 I could get a scud and a mclaren and probably a new truck with gas for 2 years each.

Quick Reply: serious question