GT3 daily driver question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Majestyk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 daily driver question

Hey,

I'm a long term reader of this forum, but first time poster. I've read a huge amount of information about how the GT3 can be used for daily driving without much issue. I should say that I am not yet an owner of a GT3, but I am in the market. My question concerns more about the drive-ablility of the car in poor weather conditions. Common sense has it that I wouldn't drive the car through snow, but given heavy rain, would I be able to drive it home from work?

Cheers,

Majestyk.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

It would be no problem to drive in heavy rain. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time. My advise would be to change out the Pilot Cup tires for Michelin PS-2s and you would be good to go. That is what I did and the car works great even in the heaviest of rains! My opinion is that the standard Cup tires are not bad in light rain conditions, but the PS-2s or an equivalent tire is what you need for heavy rain and standing water. Snow and ice - forget it!!!!

Mark
Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

+1, all you need are more street oriented tires like the PS2.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:39 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly - new tires are all you need. I'm actually surprised at how well the new cup do in the rain but that's not recommended.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:38 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much to worry about if you have the PS2's. The cup tires are not safe in wet conditions.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:57 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i drove in snow with r888

Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I took delivery of my 2007 GT3 the first thing I did was swap out the almost-PSCups for PS2s on the stock rims, and put the PSCups on my Volks for the track. The Cups were fine in wet track conditions, but there's just no reason for faux-R-Compound tires for street use. Note the jabs that the Cups - because they are not real cups, rather a hybrid created by Michelin and Porsche for this car. I've spent lots of track time on them and studied the telemetry data. Same grip characteristics (and data points) as PS2s. Rain channels are about 2x wider than the genuine Cups. So me, I wouldn't worry about an infrequent drive in the rain. Heck, if my GT3 or C2S on the 19" Porsche Cups can handle 130 MPH on the back straight at Watkins Glen in driving rain, I think you can get home on them.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Daily Driver all the way

I've put 30K+ on my car. Drive it every day including snow storms. The correct tires are everything. For the winter I only drive with dedicated 19" snows (continental). For street driving I only use PS2's. As for the track - Hoosiers all the way.

Oh, by the way, the car is great in the snow. Lots of traction. And as a bonus, I can plow my driveway with the front spoiler.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
On Pole
Racer

I drive mine as much as I can.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh really?

wow, i am having withdraw not driving my 3 for 2 mo.

Contis for snow or 888's? anyone use Blizzaks or something really aggressive?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

they are great. I drive mine with MPSC in the rain with zero issues. Just drive like you are on a DOT road and all is well. PS2 are quieter so it is not a bad idea but if you track the rubber melts off in a warm day. No matter the tire, it is a fun car to drive everyday for the right person.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestyk
Hey,

I'm a long term reader of this forum, but first time poster. I've read a huge amount of information about how the GT3 can be used for daily driving without much issue. I should say that I am not yet an owner of a GT3, but I am in the market. My question concerns more about the drive-ablility of the car in poor weather conditions. Common sense has it that I wouldn't drive the car through snow, but given heavy rain, would I be able to drive it home from work?

Cheers,

Majestyk.
On PSCs... dangerous but on Corsa semi slicks much better. Other than that common sense prevails on these wide tired cars in their aquaplaning potential.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM
va122
Drifting

I use toyo RA-1s, best rain tire I've ever found in R-Comp.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM
va122
Drifting

18's only though.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 AM
MarekN
Racer

This depends on how long your drives are, what temperature you run the car in and what conditions are the roads you live around.

The point is, if your commute is less than 20 minutes, than you have to limit your revs because thatīs how long it really takes for the engine and gearbox to warm up, unless itīs 30+ Celsius over at your place. So for that time you are in the car just for the feeling of being in it, but you cannot exercise it the way you want. I know lots of people who give it full revs once the oil touches around 60 degrees C, but thatīs just not my style, you know?

And if there are bad roads in the mix anywhere, you might as well just leave it at home and really enjoy it some other time. It can be a daily driver on glass smooth roads, no doubt about it, but on pocked roads you just feel sorry for the car because it really is unforgiving. The facelifted C2S has a ride like a Cadillac in comparison. I also fell for the myth that all the car magazines chewed out like a bunch of parrots that this is a track car you can use daily without compromise, but you would have to be previously driving a wheelbarrow all your life to feel comfy while doing it.

The Cup tires are excellent on wet roads, itīs just standing water that they cannot clear. The as-new tread depth is under 5 mm.

The bottom line is-you cannot expect to get the same comfort in the GT3 as you get in a C2S, much the same as you canīt expect the C2S to keep up with a GT3 in terms of performance or driver enjoyment. If there ever is a Porsche for daily driving, it is the C2S or Turbo. I would definitely recommend a GT3, but only with the knowledge that you most likely have a few other cars to fall back on for your other driving needs.

Quick Reply: GT3 daily driver question