Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What would have you thought of me if....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:11 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What would have you thought of me if....

People say "I dont care what other people think of me" And for most of my people circles I dont care. But the Rennlist guys are my most important friend circle.
A couple weeks ago I was offered a 2010 RS SLot and MSRP. I quickly passed it on to RL. But I wonder what you guys would have thought if I had bought it and kept it for a short while and then flipped it for either MSRP or a profit? I am just curious since my anticipation level is rising in anticipation of the first ones getting to the US. I dont like the idea but I was just wondering. It would have been cool to have one for a month.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Paul,

I don't like this idea of money making. I don't think any people here on rennlist will pay more for a pre-owned RS. If you proceed and is able to make some profit afterwards then good for you.

I like your honesty very much. As your friend, you got my support with whatever decision that you make here.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tim I just dont think I could do it. Mentally I just couldnt do it. Right now I wouldnt have the funds to buy a new RS without flipping it. So it wont happen. My first instinct is to help someone who REALLY wants one and can keep it for a while. We all read the stories of those who search in vain, and that dominates my thoughts.
I appreciate your post.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Although we love our cars and bond with them at the end they are objects. So you are discussing how you proceeded in handling an object...
A- Pass it on to someone you know to enjoy.
B- Have possession of it, enjoy looking at,driving it, and touching it, then sell it for a potential profit.
Either way you would be judged favourably.
What I would have done is : B then A (at no profit) if I had no intention of keeping it.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Two words Paul: risky business. I just wouldn't count on making money on it.
I think if you really want the RS, you should just trade in for it and enjoy the car!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Two words Paul: risky business. I just wouldn't count on making money on it.
I think if you really want the RS, you should just trade in for it and enjoy the car!
I doubt Paul would want one. He moved to the CS as he wanted a more practical/comfortable road car, if I recall correctly
Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

if you have the will power to let her go after only one month then i say go for it!

best case you break even, worst case you lose a few grand ....... no harm
Old 12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

if you bought it with the intent of selling for profit, then i have very little respect for you.
1. u dont do this for a living. now if you are a car broker then it's different. you need to make money to feed family. but this is not your line of business, you shouldn't make money from it
2. you personally always thought it's bad for dealers to charge over, so you shouldnt' do something you feel is bad for others to do.
3. you can do this once, and they ppl will know. so u probably make 20k on this deal, but then your name wont be so clean any more. my name is worth more than 20k.

now if you bought it to drive it, and god forbids, you back just can't take it. then you have to sell it since you have no use for it. then it's a different story. and selling it then if the car has 1000 miles, then i say you can get msrp for it and no one would blink an eye. but if you wanted to mark it up, see above commments.

if you drove the **** out of it for a year or two, did 20k miles on it, then i would sell it at a fair price to someone else so they get to enjoy it.

i use my RS a lot when i sold it, i could have gotten a lot more money for it. but i figured i used it, i need to pay for the "rent" so to speak. i sold it at a fair price, it sold in 2 days to rad. he used it and he sold it at fair price to tcracing.

of course, one can justify these thing in anyway they want. these are just my justifications.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Moot-See thats why I emailed you first when I had it.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:01 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you think the guy behind you on the list, who wants to enjoy the car and order it the way he wants, will think of you.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:08 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

GT3 I didnt even get to that point, I am just doing some 20/20 hindsight. This shows something about my thinking since I just thought of this 4-6 weeks after the event.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Moot-See thats why I emailed you first when I had it.
i know you wont flip the car. just not in you.

thanx sending it my way, now i can make some dough...

this RS thing is too much.... i think i'll be driving honda's next year.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems similar to my quandry when I considered buying a ZR1 Vette, keeping it for 60 days of fun, then turning it back to GM for a refund. Ultimately, even though I'd just be screwing GM, my morals couldn't do it.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Nobody should have an issue with somebody selling somthing they own for market value, regardless of what it is and what they paid for it.

My issue would be with the dealer that allows you to reassign your allocation. IMO it should go to the next person in line. That said, if anybody has an RS allocation their dealer is willing to reassign, let me know.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Nobody should have an issue with somebody selling somthing they own for market value, regardless of what it is and what they paid for it.

My issue would be with the dealer that allows you to reassign your allocation. IMO it should go to the next person in line. That said, if anybody has an RS allocation their dealer is willing to reassign, let me know.
x2. Do WTF you want. It's still a capitalistic economy (for now)

Quick Reply: What would have you thought of me if....