Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What would have you thought of me if....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

I am selling anything I own for as much money as I can get any time I want.

I can understand dealers doing the same.

The worst dealers promise MSRP and than take it away, least they could do is be honest and just explain that they sell to the highest bidder. It is up to the consumer to then decide to give them the extra money, or not, or even to give them any business at all ever again.
I personally will not, I prefer to buy from dealers who respect MSRP. Nor can I understand people willing to pay more for a product than the manufacturer thinks it is worth.

I do think it hurts Porsche and they should try to limit the fact that the dealers make their cars more expensive. Any easy fix would be just to build more. I guess there is more to it than I understand.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 AM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would I think of you personally - surprised since I think you started a thread on listing/boycotting dealers who were charing over MSRP... (I could be mistaken on that point)
What would I think in general - frustrated that someone is driving up the price on a car that I would love to buy, drive and enjoy... For some reason it would be easier for me to tolerate if the short term ownership was not just a "flip" purchase.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I got my first gt3 for msrp, drove it for 3k miles in europe, and sold it when I came back for msrp minus the euro delivery option charge and two or 3 grand... I think that personally it's better to just "get what you got it for" rather than try and be an amateur broker...the porsche/car community is small and word gets around.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

I honestly would like to see YOU do that over a dealer if anything, but not to take a fellow enthusiast for a ride in the end. Touchy subject, I probably would have taken it, but also kept it, as I would loveee an RS at MSRP
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could do what ever you want cause you had the allocation but, imagine you pass it along has a good gesture and also because he desperately wants it and next thing you know, he flips it later on. Now he would be an ultimate *** in my book.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

JimXYZ
I did start that I was frustrated with the amount of pain by my friends here, and the outright lying of some dealers who kept allocations for themselves. Thats why I passed this one along immediately.
I didnt start thinking about buying it tell Sunday, four or 5 weeks afterward. I was just curious.
The people who have done that dont seem to last around here probably because of lack of passion.
If I did buy it it would have been tough for me to let it go.-
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

If you have the opportunity/desire to get your hands on one and you have the cashflow to own one temporarily but not the disposable cash to own one indefinitely, I doubt anyone would've faulted you for doing it so long as there was no intent to profit. That said, the market is too nebulous not to expect to leave as much as $10k (worst case) on the table and with all the pricing BS going on at the dealer level and so many not being able to get access, why even go there? I would've done exactly what you did.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I've helped at least 5-6 Rennlisters get into GT3's & RS' and NOT ONCE have I made a buck. It's not what I do for a living.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

with the stench of the last hosing guys took on their "collectible" 911, what do you guys think the market would pay a flipper.

-in this Economy

- delivery several months away

- after sales taxes and whatever
Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea Herman I think the only real option(if I had taken it) for me would have been to drive it and try to sell it for close to what I bought it for.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I've helped at least 5-6 Rennlisters get into GT3's & RS' and NOT ONCE have I made a buck. It's not what I do for a living.
yes, i remember!
good man.

Quick Reply: What would have you thought of me if....