Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SW 3.9 First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Yeah its between me getting brembo's or getting one of my dogs cateract surgery ... so I will just make do with PCCBs for now until Santa comes!

congrats on the Guard ... bet it transforms the car!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Yeah its between me getting brembo's or getting one of my dogs cateract surgery ... so I will just make do with PCCBs for now until Santa comes!

congrats on the Guard ... bet it transforms the car!
Santas going to be overloaded with heavy gear this year

I'm happy for Snowboarder too I mean here's what happens when you run a 3.9 with an OPEN differential lol:
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it’s time for another update. I had planed on giving a report once I had reached 20,000 miles on the SW3.9 conversion; however it has been a very busy fall with several trips to Ashland, Reno, a three day drive to Rennsport Reunion IV and many trips on the loop. Last week on my way home over the loop I realized I have not only gone through the 20K mark but had just passed through the 21K mark! I just got home and discovered that I now have 21,156 miles on the conversion and it is running as smoothly and fast as the day I got it back from Alex and James almost 22 months ago. It was a classic winter drive today on the loop, with damp roads, lots of wet redwood needles and just enough standing water to make the drive interesting and keeping me on the points of my ***! Very little traffic, a couple logging trucks and the typical wild life, two deer and one wild hog but no carnage. I would like to mention how pleased I am with the SS’s and the new guards LSD. The SS’s are just superb in the wet. I did have to replace the rears last week but managed to get 6200 miles out of the first set, well over twice of what I was getting out of the MPSC’s! So I am pretty stoked about that! I think these are a good choice for anyone wanting a tire for this style of driving and doesn’t want to be replacing them every 3,000 miles, they are not as sticky as the MPSC’s in the dry, but close, however far superior in the wet!!

I have been asked by several folks if I have had any regrets about having the 3.9 done and the answer is absolutely not! The only real regrets I have are that, one I wasn’t patient enough to wait for an RS and secondly that I waited until I had 37,000 miles on the 3.6 before doing the 3.9. This motor has been flawless and amazing. One example; I just drove from Reno Nv to my house on the coast and averaged 24.8 MPG, until I turned onto to the loop for the last 60 or so miles. By the time I parked in the garage at home it had dropped to 19.4. So you can see that depending how you drive the gas consumption varies drastically. On a typical loop day MPG will vary from 10-13 MPG. I am still changing the oil every 3-4K with no noticeable usage between changes.

So the bottom line is that so far this motor is not only proven to be fast and “creamy” (as per Pete Stout) and very drivable, but also remarkably reliable for the first 21,000 miles.

In closing I would like to state that this has been without a doubt the most enjoyable Porsche I have owned over the near 50 years since my first 356A which I purchased from my step father in 1962. Every Porsche I have owned since then I have always said, “This is the best Porsche yet” I don’t know how I could ever possibly find a better driving Porsche then this one. Unfortunately I have had a business opportunity which has been presented to me and it may be time for me to once again put this car on the market, depending on what happens in the next several weeks. I realize this probably the worst possible time to try and sell a car such as this but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and move on. Anyone who may be seriously interested in talking about a purchase please feel free to drop me a PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Well it’s time for another update. I had planed on giving a report once I had reached 20,000 miles on the SW3.9 conversion; however it has been a very busy fall with several trips to Ashland, Reno, a three day drive to Rennsport Reunion IV and many trips on the loop. Last week on my way home over the loop I realized I have not only gone through the 20K mark but had just passed through the 21K mark! I just got home and discovered that I now have 21,156 miles on the conversion and it is running as smoothly and fast as the day I got it back from Alex and James almost 22 months ago. It was a classic winter drive today on the loop, with damp roads, lots of wet redwood needles and just enough standing water to make the drive interesting and keeping me on the points of my ***! Very little traffic, a couple logging trucks and the typical wild life, two deer and one wild hog but no carnage. I would like to mention how pleased I am with the SS’s and the new guards LSD. The SS’s are just superb in the wet. I did have to replace the rears last week but managed to get 6200 miles out of the first set, well over twice of what I was getting out of the MPSC’s! So I am pretty stoked about that! I think these are a good choice for anyone wanting a tire for this style of driving and doesn’t want to be replacing them every 3,000 miles, they are not as sticky as the MPSC’s in the dry, but close, however far superior in the wet!!

I have been asked by several folks if I have had any regrets about having the 3.9 done and the answer is absolutely not! The only real regrets I have are that, one I wasn’t patient enough to wait for an RS and secondly that I waited until I had 37,000 miles on the 3.6 before doing the 3.9. This motor has been flawless and amazing. One example; I just drove from Reno Nv to my house on the coast and averaged 24.8 MPG, until I turned onto to the loop for the last 60 or so miles. By the time I parked in the garage at home it had dropped to 19.4. So you can see that depending how you drive the gas consumption varies drastically. On a typical loop day MPG will vary from 10-13 MPG. I am still changing the oil every 3-4K with no noticeable usage between changes.

So the bottom line is that so far this motor is not only proven to be fast and “creamy” (as per Pete Stout) and very drivable, but also remarkably reliable for the first 21,000 miles.

In closing I would like to state that this has been without a doubt the most enjoyable Porsche I have owned over the near 50 years since my first 356A which I purchased from my step father in 1962. Every Porsche I have owned since then I have always said, “This is the best Porsche yet” I don’t know how I could ever possibly find a better driving Porsche then this one. Unfortunately I have had a business opportunity which has been presented to me and it may be time for me to once again put this car on the market, depending on what happens in the next several weeks. I realize this probably the worst possible time to try and sell a car such as this but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and move on. Anyone who may be seriously interested in talking about a purchase please feel free to drop me a PM.
Once again, it was/is a real thrill to have you pilot the 3.9. You really put it through its paces as it should be done and that also means a lot to us... You've done it all and seen it all before so I can't promise that our 3.8 will entice you as much but you're going to at least find out what you think by driving her next week, right? I'll for sure be following behind you in the 3.9 hah!

PS It's gut wrenching to hear the possible sale. Really I hope this economy gets a kick-start and soon eh?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up, good luck with the sale of your car, a few weeks earlier, and I would have been sending you a PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Nice write up, good luck with the sale of your car, a few weeks earlier, and I would have been sending you a PM.
We're all hoping he doesn't but if it's for sale next year someone is going to have a very fun and wicked ride...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54

Does it/has it leaked oil from the RMS since the conversion ?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Does it/has it leaked oil from the RMS since the conversion ?
I was one of the lucky ones. I never had an rms leak on the original 3.6 after 37k miles. No sign of one now either
Old 02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh oh looks like somebody is famous

Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM
speedyralph
Rennlist Member

Very nice and detailed write up. I can only imagine how well you build houses, lol! Thanks for all the info and glws!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Does the SW 3.9 use Mahle pistons? Thanks for your testimony. It is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My favorite thread reappears...

I've noticed recently that not as many people I do business with are starting their sentences with "In this Economy,...."

SB54, Please find a way to hold onto your car. You are the 3.9 Godfather.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Anybody got any serious actual track miles on one of these setups? Canyon runs are one thing, 30 minutes on track at 6-8k rpm, repeated over and over, is another. Just wondering about the longevity of going this route. Looks like a great setup. Don't want to have it go pop though.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Anybody got any serious actual track miles on one of these setups? Canyon runs are one thing, 30 minutes on track at 6-8k rpm, repeated over and over, is another. Just wondering about the longevity of going this route. Looks like a great setup. Don't want to have it go pop though.
I have two track days and about 3000 miles on my car w/3.9L with no problems. There are 15 or so cars out there with this conversion last I heard. 4 or 5 of them were going to be for the track only.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe mine will be #16 of the SW 3.9 (full rebuild - not just top) and a track only car...should be a good test.

Quick Reply: SW 3.9 First impressions