Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyralph
Very nice and detailed write up. I can only imagine how well you build houses, lol! Thanks for all the info and glws!
His houses are really unique and have some amazing views. I'd like a house there
Originally Posted by Aerokitted
Does the SW 3.9 use Mahle pistons? Thanks for your testimony. It is appreciated.
No sir. We used their 3.8 in beta testing in late 07 early 08.
Originally Posted by Eggorian
My favorite thread reappears...

I've noticed recently that not as many people I do business with are starting their sentences with "In this Economy,...."

SB54, Please find a way to hold onto your car. You are the 3.9 Godfather.
Hah yep no longer, "In this ecominy"
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Anybody got any serious actual track miles on one of these setups? Canyon runs are one thing, 30 minutes on track at 6-8k rpm, repeated over and over, is another. Just wondering about the longevity of going this route. Looks like a great setup. Don't want to have it go pop though.
hey mate actually indeed yes. There is a Canadian track only 3.9 car running its 2nd season and also this SoCal track-only car (the one that pulled a 1.34.9 at Laguna and came 2nd in the GTGP) that has done two full seasons and no into it's third (most of the 28K miles are indeed track miles):
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/997-gt...guard-lsd.html
Originally Posted by Eggorian
I have two track days and about 3000 miles on my car w/3.9L with no problems. There are 15 or so cars out there with this conversion last I heard. 4 or 5 of them were going to be for the track only.
So glad that you're out there and hitting the track
Originally Posted by FLA997
I believe mine will be #16 of the SW 3.9 (full rebuild - not just top) and a track only car...should be a good test.
Yessir and looking forward to it!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You're famous in France too! This month's Option Auto Magazine in France which covers our car, Larry's car and also Snoboarder's 3.9

Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it appears as if my plans to reach 30,000 miles on my 3.9 this winter have come to an abrupt end. Back in August I suffered a torn rotator cuff while Mtbiking on one of my favorite single-track trails up in Mendocino. Having suffered the same injury on the opposite shoulder some 15 years ago I instantly knew that I was up against surgery and at least 4-5 month rehab. After a trip to my orthopedic surgeon I asked if he could give me an injection of cortisone/steroids and postpone the surgery until November so I could enjoy the fall months with some more mtbike riding and driving. Reluctantly he agreed and we scheduled the surgery for early November. The injection worked as planned and I managed to get some good time on the loop and ride another 400 miles on my local trails. October is always a fantastic month for both driving and riding here on the north coast.

Everything was going as planned until last Saturday when I was out on a nice 24 mile ride with some friends and ended having a hard crash about 1000 yards from another crash I had last September, same section of downhill and same bike. At my age you think I would have learned, but no such luck! I was much luckier this year, last year I had a concussion and suffered headaches for almost six months and left me pretty bloodied up, broke two back teeth, a broken helmet a couple more fractured ribs and put me out of commission for about a month. This time around the worse I received was a broken collar bone, on the same shoulder, and two fractured ribs. So another trip back to my surgeon, who has been patching me up for the last 15 years, who needlessly to say wasn’t very happy with me. Anyway, the bottom line is he has now put me on mtbike restriction and driving restriction until my surgery next month. He says he has to have a stable shoulder before performing the rotator surgery and is hoping that the collar bone will heal itself in the next couple weeks. What this means is that now I’m looking at 5-6 month of not driving my 3.9 or riding. I am totally bummed as I don’t think I have ever gone more than two weeks without driving my car or riding, other than after last years crash.

I may just have to have Alex come up and get my car for safe keeping and to keep it exercised properly. I hate seeing these cars not driven on a regular basis.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,785 Likes on 2,371 Posts

^

1. note to self, do not ever mt bike with mustache man. he's old and insane... i am just old.
2. i can bring your 3.9 over my place and keep the other two company. that would be 3.8 3.9 4.0. maybe james w can get his 3.6 over too. all different color. oh, then the blue/orange RS 4.6L that you know who is building.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

^im much closer and my garage is empty for now since my stripper is being runned to the ground by my friend which is a good thing. Mike
Old 10-12-2012, 05:40 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

who's on a 4.6??
Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only one blue/orange in bay area...
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That little kicker at the end of the downhill section can be a doozie:

Get well soon SB54
Old 10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

hey pal... just you hang in there some more... If we can be half as fit as you are we'd all be saving weight in these GT3s... I guess what we will have to do is come up there with some toys soon eh? We'll have to chauffer you around a bit which I know will be a lot _slower_ than you're used to
Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
...now I’m looking at 5-6 month of not driving my 3.9 or riding. I am totally bummed as I don’t think I have ever gone more than two weeks without driving my car or riding, other than after last years crash.
I totally feel for you! Cycling and piloting my 911 are my two favorite hobbies also.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

Sorry to hear. If I lived closer I would happily exercise your bike and car. Now you have some idea of what living in WI is like. No fun cars or biking for 4/6 months every year. Yours is thankfully just an accident. Mine is more likely stupidity.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:26 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Send it to sunny FL for the winter like all the old people

I'll take it to Sebring once a month to make sure the seals don't dry up.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may just have to have Alex come up and get my car for safe keeping and to keep it exercised properly. I hate seeing these cars not driven on a regular basis.
Dang, hope you "get fixed" soon Ralph! Sorry to hear.

Too bad you are not local, I am car-less for the Trackrat event. As an altruistic guy, I'd be glad to give of my time to help you reach your mileage goal (and set TTOD while at it)!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

Well it appears as if my plans to reach 30,000 miles on my 3.9 this winter have come to an abrupt end. Back in August I suffered a torn rotator cuff while Mtbiking on one of my favorite single-track trails up in Mendocino. Having suffered the same injury on the opposite shoulder some 15 years ago I instantly knew that I was up against surgery and at least 4-5 month rehab. After a trip to my orthopedic surgeon I asked if he could give me an injection of cortisone/steroids and postpone the surgery until November so I could enjoy the fall months with some more mtbike riding and driving. Reluctantly he agreed and we scheduled the surgery for early November. The injection worked as planned and I managed to get some good time on the loop and ride another 400 miles on my local trails. October is always a fantastic month for both driving and riding here on the north coast.

Everything was going as planned until last Saturday when I was out on a nice 24 mile ride with some friends and ended having a hard crash about 1000 yards from another crash I had last September, same section of downhill and same bike. At my age you think I would have learned, but no such luck! I was much luckier this year, last year I had a concussion and suffered headaches for almost six months and left me pretty bloodied up, broke two back teeth, a broken helmet a couple more fractured ribs and put me out of commission for about a month. This time around the worse I received was a broken collar bone, on the same shoulder, and two fractured ribs. So another trip back to my surgeon, who has been patching me up for the last 15 years, who needlessly to say wasn’t very happy with me. Anyway, the bottom line is he has now put me on mtbike restriction and driving restriction until my surgery next month. He says he has to have a stable shoulder before performing the rotator surgery and is hoping that the collar bone will heal itself in the next couple weeks. What this means is that now I’m looking at 5-6 month of not driving my 3.9 or riding. I am totally bummed as I don’t think I have ever gone more than two weeks without driving my car or riding, other than after last years crash.

I feel for ya - familiar to your story...second rotator cuff injury from mountain biking. I tell my wife racing is safer....
Old 10-20-2012, 12:08 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

See you soon man! I'll need you to heal up sooner than an MMA guy tho

Quick Reply: SW 3.9 First impressions