Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SW 3.9 First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:32 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys, thanks for the updates on the 3.9L motors; keep them coming...
Definately something on the "one day" list....
Old 08-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Thanks for the update and most of all I'm glad you're racking up those miles the only way you know how It's really good to hear on the tires as well. Those brakes are somethin' else eh?

The black 2010 that was here needed new tires as they were corded so based on what you're saying he should have just as much fun on them as the PSC's

Keep on smiling and see you soon for the LSD:P
Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Well another milestone has been reached in the adventure of my Sharkwerks 3.9 conversion. I have just recently returned from a 600 mile trip up through northern California and on to the Oregon coast. I have now broken through the 16,000 mile burier and on my way to 17,000 miles.

I have two new additions to the car since my last update; the first one being a new set of Brembo big yellows, something I now wish I had done miles ago. These things are absolutely fantastic! The stock rotors had come to the end of their usefulness and it was time to do something so a trip back to Sharkwerks and a few dollars later I am very happy. Just a few miles after the big brake kit I mounted a set of the new Michelin Super Sports, after talking with Damon at Tire Rack, and made the decision to try a set after being assured that if I didn’t like them before 30 days were up I could return them for a full refund. My initial thought was I would probably be sending them back if they were anything like the PS2’s I had tried awhile back and only had on the car for less then 2000 miles. I had read all the press releases from Michelin and some reviews from some folks who had attended the testing put on in Dubai but was very skeptical about them being comparable to the MPSC’s at almost $500 less and such a high wear rating. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. These are a great tire and an even better value. As many of you know I have been averaging only 2700 miles out of a set of the cups on the rears since having the 3.9 conversion and that is street or road miles only! (I don’t have streets where I live) Don’t misunderstand, they don’t have the same grip as the MPSC’s but are far ahead of the PS2’s and very close to the MPSC’s performance wise. They don’t hunt for grip as with the PS2’s and I have yet to find any disadvantage as far as my style of driving. They appear to be somewhat more forgiving then the cups and the turn-in is still crisp and very precise. I did jump up a size on the fronts to 245’s, run the same PSI as the cups and so far I am very excited about them. Also I now have almost 3200 miles on them and they have well over half their original tread depth, so I would classify them as a bargain and recommend them to anyone looking to replace their cups for road use. I don’t believe I will be going back to the cups.

The motor is running as strong as ever, burns no oil and I have only had to change the plugs and lots of rear tires, oh and brakes. The car is just incredible and still puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key and strap myself in! I love this car!! The next update will be at 20K! Keep in mind that I didn’t do the conversion until 37K so the car has over 53K on right now. Next up is a new Guards LSD, next week!
SB54, Are you still running 325/35 in the rear with the new Michelin Super Sports? The Michelin website is recommending 305/35.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggorian
This is the thread that I really needed to read. I'm 800 miles into my 3.9 now. I drove it to get the mail today...about a 150 yards. It's that kind of fun right now. I need new tires very soon, so it was great to get the low down on what works and lasts, and what works and doesn't last. I won't have the pain threshold to be replacing tires every 3000 miles like SB54....but maybe for the first 3000 miles a set of MPSC's would be fun! It will be interesting to see how long my stock steel brakes last. Brembo's were in the cart before Sharky talked me off the ledge. Whatever he did to the pads helped reduce the standard stock brake squealing for sure (chamfored the pads?).

Thanks again Alex and James....
ROFL yup the originale! Snowboarder is getting some more goodies including a beefed up LSD unit because he needs to take those turns faster, right

SNowBoarder did REALLY well with the stockers for 45k miles I think... They're still world class brakes in stock form and if/when the rotors get chewed up we can always use a two piece replacement that's slotted with more aggressive pads

Originally Posted by Nan P
Guys, thanks for the updates on the 3.9L motors; keep them coming...
Definately something on the "one day" list....
We will try
Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggorian
SB54, Are you still running 325/35 in the rear with the new Michelin Super Sports? The Michelin website is recommending 305/35.
No on the 325's, they aren't available in the SS's. I did go 245 on the fronts which I'm very pleased with, it now turns-in as crisply as the MPSC's. I'm actually liking the SS's a lot!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:07 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

No on the 325's, they aren't available in the SS's. I did go 245 on the fronts which I'm very pleased with, it now turns-in as crisply as the MPSC's. I'm actually liking the SS's a lot!
Any rubbing issues in the front with 245s? I was thinking of going with those as well.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You sir are back in action:P No more open diff for you!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Spring 2012 at the latest...
Old 09-01-2011, 02:56 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Spring 2012 at the latest...
By then he'll be on his 3rd set
Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=sharkster;8835848]By then he'll be on his 3rd set[/QUOTE

good to know ... time to buy shares in Michelin then ...
Old 09-01-2011, 03:05 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[quote=Larry Cable;8835863]
By then he'll be on his 3rd set[/QUOTE

good to know ... time to buy shares in Michelin then ...
Anything is better than Solyndra

Oh and sell all brembo shares now
Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

[quote=sharkster;8835884]

Anything is better than Solyndra

Oh and sell all brembo shares now
Uuurgh ...

Brembo ... how so???
Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[quote=Larry Cable;8835926]

Uuurgh ...

Brembo ... how so???
We gotta drive the price down
Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Yeah those BREMBO suck ... I mean you might as well use greasy plates as rotors ... or a boat anchor ... I mean they are so bad ... I wouldn't even contemplate replacing my PCCBs with them even if you gave them to me!!!

... no ... seriously ... I wouldn't!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah those BREMBO suck ... I mean you might as well use greasy plates as rotors ... or a boat anchor ... I mean they are so bad ... I wouldn't even contemplate replacing my PCCBs with them even if you gave them to me!!!

Haha now we're talking. I need to send this quote over to Motley Fool and all the Wires... I want to see this on CNBC in 30mins and then we can all buy some cut-price brembos!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Hehe, PCCB's are my first choice as well, but I couldn't pass up the deal on the Brembo's, the OEM's had reached the end of thier usefulness and I am very pleased with the big yellows!! Can't wait to get bach home and pick up my car from Sharky's with the new guards!!! I may have to stop and fill up with some 100 oct on the way home!

Quick Reply: SW 3.9 First impressions